• This topic has 14 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Avatar photoKen.
Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author

The second Anatoly Arutunoff Corvette is well under way. Like the first. This car is built in honour of the man, and his efforts to enter the Targa Florio in 1971. The first Vette has a Scalex motor in line with the 327 that should have entered the race in 1970. This one is more in line with Anatoly’s 1971 – 427 Vette in that it has a Fox-10 for open class racing. I hope it will be completed by this week.

I learn something with each build. I left nothing on the table with respect to how close the body sits on the chassis on this one. Any lower and the tires touch the inside of the fenders. Perfect!  :good:

I tried to make this a sidewinder but the motor hits the bearing flange before the gears mesh properly. You can see where I shaved the aluminum past the bearing flange. I even tried to angle it, but there is not enough room to work with in this size aluminum tubing. By the time the gears mesh, the motor is well into the tire area. Back to inline we go. *mumble*  :scratch:

Ken

Nice build Ken. :good:  I like the look of that black hood!

The Happy Canadian Scale Modeler!

I tested the car today. It’s a fun car to drive with that Fox-10 motor. Art suggested a bit more weight should help it in the corners. It still needs decals.

Wheels are Anthracite Gray in colour.

I like the way this car sits. Slightly lower than the first one.

As per usual for my builds. The rear tires were touching the inner fender wells ever so slightly when pushing the limits of the body-float. I have no clue as to why. I left at least .003″ of an inch clearance on each side. Art seems to find these mistakes instantly. After 5-minutes of sanding it was all good, and the tires were spinning freely with full body-float.

Ken

The cars look great in person, and speaking of ‘person’, you can now have a chance at owning 1 of the Cars Mr.Arutnoff campaigned…enjoy.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1963-lancia-flaminia/?utm_source=dailymail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2018-12-06

Thank you for your kind words Porsche911.

If only my garage and budget were a little bigger. I would not hesitate to buy the Lancia.

Mr Arutunoff had quite an interesting racing career. The days when you just bought a car and raced it.

Ken

The car now has numbers.

Last night we changed heats. Then took a short break and I switched cars and forgot that this one has a faster motor. Usually a car slows down when something goes wrong. Here I’m wondering why is this car so darn fast all of a sudden?!? Then realized I set the slower Scalex Vette back in pit row. Oops. Never race matching white Corvettes with different motors on the same night. Confuses the brain.

We have sponsors! Took a while to cut and separate these to get the correct branding for that car.

I’ve been searching for Trans Am cars other than the usual Camaro’s, Mustangs, etc…

Apparently Corvettes ran in a Trans Am GT class in 1970 at the 12-hour Sebring based on the photo below. Does that mean I can enter my unlimited Corvette from this thread in open TA?

Hi Ken,

Apart from the sniff test and if it looks right test we haven’t established boundaries for TA+ so there is nothing preventing you from using that car – and remember as a carry over from the R32 TA class fantasy period liveries are fine too – so as long as the make & model ran in a Trans Am race then why not?

Good news. I don’t have to build a new car for this class? Yay! And I’m the first car ready to race? Another first for me.

Bad news. I was making plans to visit mother-in-law in the hospital today. My dad just called 10 minutes ago and tells me I need to rush out to St Catherines to bring him to the hospital too. He has zero strength. Very bad time for my family right now. I’m now being pulled in two directions and need to find balance. Racing just went to the back burner.

And I’m supposed to be a vendor at the show tomorrow. Very bad weekend.

Ken

Taking a closer look at the Trans Am series which started in 1966 it may be appropriate to have a cut off year – we should discuss that more over the next few events…The show tomorrow morning would be a good place to look for eligible models…

I was using Racing Sports Cars for my research and found that a whole flock of Porsche 911’s were also in Trans Am racing? Really?

1966 to 1973 sounds interesting yes?

The only minor thing I would suggest to the rules for S32 TA+ is. Maybe keep it to American made 2-door cars with V8’s?

Just for the record. Chevrolet Vega’s didn’t come with 350-V8’s from the factory. There was only one GM prototype V8. We made those insane cars ourselves in our back yards. We also had to keep changing the back tires on it. Not sure why. Probably defective or something like that.

My mom’s doing better thank you kindly. My sister took second shift to stay with my dad tonight. Everyone in the family is pushing me to be at my vendor table at the Group-25 Model and Slot Car show tomorrow. I look forward to it, and hope to see many of you there.

Ken

This Corvette has gone though several changes. Mostly to make it legal to race in the Targa Florio. A Fox-10 was installed by mistake.

The Fox-10 has been removed and a Scalextric slim-line 050 has taken it’s place.

Weight was removed. It used to weigh 107-grams. It now weighs 86-grams.

Funny thing is the performance is almost the same. This is my first time using a Scalex 050 in another car other than the new F1’s. All I can say is “Wow!” :yahoo:

My other white Corvette with a Scalextric S-can (#76) is a dud compared to this car now. The S-can might be defective? Need to investigate. What an eye opener.  :wacko:

Ken,

If you have time it would be great if you could post something in our resources ‘chassis eligible bits & pieces’ sub forum with a link to the seller/part of the scaley motor with price – it is great to have a reliable source for any ‘stock’ or motor restricted class – takes out the guesswork for everyone… and any resulting confusion. Just a suggestion of course…. :yes:

Art,

I just found drive shafts in stock at Electric Dreams. They are like hens teeth. I posted that as well.

Cheers,

Ken

Viewing 14 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.