• This topic has 15 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by Avatar photoKen.
Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies

This is the model I’m hoping to replicate.

That is an unbelievable chronology of the Type 33!! I may never get to digest it all…. but I will try!! Thanks for sharing Bill.

Good luck with the Periscopico car, can’t wait to see it. What body are you modifying?

The body is an old Bandai kit from the 60’s. It is pretty basic with a flat fake interior and not much engine detail. Has a flip front and rear but I glued the pieces all together to make a more solid body. I wish I had taken a before photo because it looked barely salvageable. Lots of glue had to be sanded out and smoothed.

Here’s what the box art looks like which is a lot nicer than the actual model.

Here’s a work in progress shot.

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Almost done just need to add the mirrors and headlights, clear coat and mount on the chassis.</p>
        Chassis is appropriately a Cox Magnesium chassis since the actual car has a magnesium tube chassis itself. Magnesium wheels as well so it is super light.

Motor will be a Cox 16D

What a great model!! Beautifully done/ And a magnesium chassis, how incredibly appropriate!!

Wow! Nice build F1nutz! Can’t wait to see it in person!

The Happy Canadian Scale Modeler!

Very NICE!  I love seeing the vintage stuff being brought back to life.

Thanks guys.

Here is a pic of the completed Alfa along with a just completed Chaparral 2E sister car (also a Bandai kit conversion)

Interestingly while doing research I discovered that at Sebring 1967 the 2 Alfa’s entered where numbers 65 and 66 which as most of you know are synonymous with Jim Hall’s Chaparral team. Hall entered a 2D and a 2F with numbers 5 and 6 so there must be a story behind this unusual circumstance.

Video of the 67 race. Some iconic cars entered that year.

Amazing stuff  Bill something very different,  as for the Chappy’s numbers if you look at the entry list for 1967 they entered a 2D and 2F and those cars usually ran with single digit numbers as far as I could see.

Joe

Thx Joe. Yes in later years Chaparral moved away from the usual 65,66 numbering. I just wondered if this event may have been one of the first since they used 5 and 6 and still in the Route 66 font (that is to say the font on the cars by design matches the original Route 66 signpost font) which I presume may have been the number stickers they had on hand at the time.
              Different events have different numbering requirementsback in the day and there isn’t a lot of information as to how/if they were assigned by race organizers or submitted by teams.

It’s always intrigued me as to how teams/cars get their numbers for various races. This instance just seemed strange that Alfa would end up with the exact numbers made famous by Jim Hall’s team up to that point.
              It’s almost like some kid showing up on the oilers with a 99 on his jersey and making Gretzky wear 9. ;^)

Very cool history. Very nice work on the model!

Thanks for posting!

The Alfa Romeo 33 Stradale road car is super nice too.

The Alfa Romeo 33 Stradale is a mid-engined sports car built by Italian car manufacturer Alfa Romeo. It is one of the world’s first supercars; it was the fastest commercially available car for the standing kilometer when introduced. 18 examples were produced between 1967 and 1969.

Viewing 14 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.