Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author
      Art

POSTPONED DUE TO THE PANDEMIC – STAY TUNED for NEW DATES…

Follow the series rules discussion here: Indy Roadsters are Coming!

The goal is to build a chassis that will fit almost any available plastic or resin body and in accordance with our proposed series rules. I’ll summarize the rules and provide some info prior to our first session – stay tuned!

…now get building your Coppa models!

Art

This AMT kit of the 1963 Willard Special Indy 500 Winner has all the pieces but for a dashboard & driver figure: 

The inserts that come with the kit are spot on – and are .450 size and will fit RS Slot wheels. Tires are still an unknown however. I’ll need to do some digging or modifications to the plastic tires included with the kit… After looking at the wheelbase and what is and is not possible with motor placement we may need to reduce the minimum distance to 30 mm or something close – or perhaps scrap the front motor requirement and leave it up to each builder to sort out however they wish – we could have two sub-classes – mid inline and front motor with a min. distance… which might be the best option… we’ll see.

After I get the body assembled, filled & sanded and then cut to accommodate our chassis I’ll make it available as a body kit for others.

Art

I know we have 5 registered already but if you are interested in participating and sharing your ideas but cannot register please email me and we’ll make accommodation – everyone is welcome – since this will be a new class and we need to sort out all of our options make sure to bring your models/projects/parts with you to discuss… we’ll incorporate some show and tell… I’m basing this build on the model I’ve got but suggestions or other models are welcome too… and if anyone wishes to put together an order for those resin alternatives bring money just in case…

Either way the evening will be informal and promises to be fun! We’ll start on time (or as soon as everyone arrives – still the earlier the better) and we’ll do what we can before it gets too late for the drive home… pizza as usual beforehand…

Art

I’ve opened up 3 more spots for the workshop and I would be happy to open up more if needed…

racer68

Hi Art

I was wondering what time your doors would be open tomorrow so that those of us who are trying to beat the traffic from the east end might get a head start. I have seven ( eight if you count my Maserati 8ctf ) different roadster bodies of slightly different sizes that we can take measurements from to help us figure out the details for the chassis and rules.
      Cheers
      Steve

Art

Racer68, sure – you can come as early as you wish to try to beat traffic… if you plan to be here before 4pm then please let me know… see you later today… :good:

Art

For those of you who missed the first go around of soldering essentials here is the topic – a good reference for those getting into soldering or trying to hone their soldering skills…

Soldering Essentials

racer68

Hi Art

Thanks for opening the doors early. I’ll leave just after 3 so I should be there sometime between 4 and 5 depending on traffic.

I’ve got all 8 bodies packed so that we can take measurements.

Cheers

Steve

Art

Gents,

I must postpone these sessions and the Saturday Trans Am race for the time being – someone in my household is at this point not comfortable having guests over. I am sorry for the inconvenience. Hopefully we can reschedule them soon… stay tuned…

f1nutz

Totally makes sense given the present situation.

See you next time.

Bill

Ken

Social distancing = a good time to hide in the workshop and build slot cars :yahoo:  Please post your builds!

I wish everyone the best in avoiding whatever is going around.

Sincerely,

Ken

I like to paint bodies, and make chassis. How may I help you build your car?

Art

I’m not sure when we’ll be able to continue this workshop just yet but stay tuned. Another model likely will become the focus given recent builds…

f1nutz

No need to change subjects Art.

I’m showing the wrong way to do it.

You’ll be showing the right way. ;^)

Art

It has been a while and so I though we should clarify where we are with the regulations for this new class so far. I’ve borrowed some of racer68’s language from the Indy Roadster are Coming topic (see link at top).

As a refresher here’s what we have:

• Any true, front engined  roadster that was registered, qualified or participated in any Indy 500 race from 1950 onwards to the very last roadster in 1967 is eligible.
      • Authentic liveries are encouraged but fantasy liveries that maintain a look (paint colours, fonts and graphics) representative of the period that they raced in are allowed.
      • BWMS050 (FF050) low power front motor placement, inline (but may be offset, up/down, left/right), rear drive so that the motor is ahead of the cockpit. (Should we have a minimum distance from the rear axle?)
      • Minimum weight of 80 grams.
      • Maximum width of 54mm. (Should this be narrower?)
      • Any size wheels and tires may be used provided they represent a reasonably scale appearance. (Is the barn door open too far???)

We need to finalize our class rules so everyone can get building and those who’ve built models can share what they’ve learned. I will look into a testing/discussion session either here at The Ring or at Molto VeLoce… stay tuned…

racer68

Greetings Indy Roadster fans!

I’ve had a chance to do a little testing and building towards my own Indy Roadster and have followed the threads on others’ builds. This has given me some thoughts on the finalization of the rules. I think first and foremost that we have to see this as a true scratch building challenge but one that encourages maximum expression and diversity of entrants going into the future. To this end I think if we are to truly embrace the front motor concept we should mandate that all cars have the motor, not counting the bearing housing forward of the cockpit with no intrusion of the motor itself past the base of the windscreen. This is an objective rule that will not require much in the way of measuring beyond visual inspection. The motor must be connected to the final drive shaft with a flexible coupling such as a spring a piece of soft tubing or a pen refill. This will mean that everyone will be dealing with the same parasitic losses. I have been able to source some springs from a China that finally arrived after three months. I have three springs, each of which is 47 mm long and can each probably be cut to make six or seven couplings that I’m willing to donate to the club, that should be good for a dozen builds accounting for some  experiments and errors. These two rules should preclude the need for any minimum distance to the rear axle, be easier to inspect and allow for more building freedom. I have also ordered some more springs which may or may not arrive in a couple of months that can help us with our builds.

There were some truly strange roadsters that made an appearance at Indy as late as 1980. Some tested non qualified except for The Mallard. I think the rules should allow for these cars by saying that any front engine car up to 1980 that tested, teched or qualified at The Indy 500 be allowed to participate. I doubt that anyone will have one of these in the near future as both the chassis and the body would need to be built from scratch. I think this best suits the spirit of Scratch 32. The maximum width of 54 mm would allow for these cars and would allow the 1967 version of  Jim Hurtubise’s  Mallard that actually ran at Indy.

Wheels and tires can be tricky but as some of the earlier roadsters had fairly narrow tires that wouldn’t look out of place in the Coppa D’oro and  some of the later roadsters had tires wider than the F1 cars of the same era I would stick to the reasonably scale appearance guideline. With the low power front motor configuration wider tires are not likely to provide any benefit just a little more flexibility in choosing and building our cars.

I’m hoping that our Indy Roadster race is scheduled some time in October so that we have time to do our builds and that those of us who are more vulnerable don’t have to worry so much about Covid 19.

Cheers

Steve

Ken

Steve. That’s great news that you sourced a spring. What diameter shaft does it fit?

racer68

Hi Ken

The spring fits the standard fc-130 motor 2mm shaft so  it will have to be sleeved with a bit of tubing at the motor end with a piece of brass tubing to fit the slim can motor.

K&S Thin Wall Brass Tube 2mm OD x .225mm Wall (KS 9832) can be soldered on to make the transition from the 1.5mm shaft of the slim can  motor to the spring. The far end can be twisted or soldered to a 2mm shaft allowing us to use easily available gears.

Cheers

Steve

Ken

Nice work in that you sourced the sleeve material too. Excellent sleuthing! This should make front motor drive with an 050 motor a snap. I ended up doing the same thing with a 1956 Ferrari B.S. (Bardahl Special).

Art

For a continuation towards the completion of the 1963 Watson Special Indy Roadster that I started here please follow this link to the Scratch Building subform… Thanks!

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.