• Creator
    Topic

Here’s my best guess at the livery for this car based on hours of research – I’ve got some extra numbers, the plates, etc.

If you wish to modify the original MSWord files I’d be happy to email them to you – they are just too big to post on a website…

Cheers :good:

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

The Happy Canadian Scale Modeler!

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies

Thanks very much Art for posting this info. I’m in the middle of building my car now  with Ken helping me with one of his patented chassis. I’m just finishing off my research and getting ready to print out some decals so this couldn’t have come at a better time. My wife,  a great researcher, got us in touch with Ralph Neiders who was able to give us a little more info and some great stories about his Dad.  Once I sort through the information I will post it.

Cheers

Steve

Cheers! Can’t wait to hear more on your research! :yes:

Some more info:

I have the info on the colours on the No. 56 car. The body was  most likelyFord Miami cream, Ralph said all his dad’s cars where ivory or cream and black the closest match I could  I could find was Testor’s Racing White , which is sort of an ivory colour but might be just slightly too light. The roof and the rocker panels were black. The door numbers were black and the h.uge roof number was white. Ralph told us that the car rolled six times as Max Diener was driving and his father was in the passenger seat. After the race the car was repaired and sold as a low mileage used car.

waiting for the start

More to come.

Cheers

Steve

Great work Steve!

Here’s a few more pictures of the no.56 car including my work in progress.

Cheers

Steve

Looks great Steve! :good:

Steve. Your car looks and runs great! Impressive first night out. Congrats on crossing over to S32. You and Vicky did an outstanding job on the livery!  :good:

It would be nice if you shared some details on how you did the two-tone paint and lettering?

Patented chassis? Not likely. Thank you very kindly for the brand protection. Too bad it’s a profitless venture. I’m glad the spare chassis has become useful.

Ken, thanks for the support. The two tone paint was achieved using Tamiya masking tape at the demarcation lines as it allows very little colour bleed. The paint was from Tamiya rattle cans. The colours are Black and Racing white over  white primer.  Based on the information that Ralph Neiders kindly shared with us , this was the closest available  match. The original light tone was Ford Miami Cream and the entire car was repainted that colour after the race before being sold as a “low mileage” used car.

The lettering required careful matching of  available fonts as well as some bit map modifications of certain letters as the original used hand painted lettering. This was all done in Photoshop, which includes a text to path function that allowed us to do the elegant sweep of the Carerra Panamericana lettering over the windows. The decals themselves where printed from an Epson Workforce inkjet printer onto clear and white generic waterslide decal paper from Amazon. The whole thing was sealed with three coats of Krylon Acrylic Crystal Clear and allowed to dry for 18 hours . The decals were then  cut out soaked in water for 20 seconds  and applied to the model with Micro Sol setting solution. They were fairly resistant to snuggling down especially the ones printed on the white paper.

Cheers

Steve

That’s an extra bonus that you contacted the driver’s son for the facts with respect to livery details. Congrats!

I hope you took lots of pics to create a build thread in the “scratch build” section? You earned a spot there with this cool car. It will be nice to see pics of the car totally finished. Maybe even a nice coat of Mother’s wax B-)

I agree with Ken – Cheers Steve!

Viewing 6 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.