• This topic has 2 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

On any vintage slot car restoration project you likely want to salvage the windscreen because sometimes you cannot get a replacement (or get one at a reasonable price). This process also makes plastic windscreens which may have a slight defect or haze ‘pop’ with clarity and shine. For instance scratches are erased through this process, although it may take a couple of applications…

In a prior time we and others used to refer to Future floor polish or wax as the product used. Now however it is Pledge Floor Care Finish which you can purchase at major retailers, including Walmart. It is a Johnson product and typically comes in a clear squeeze bottle of 798ml.

To get maximum bang for the buck get a dollar store clear container with a snap on gasket lid, something large enough to fit any sized windscreen for your scale, but not something excessive. Fill the container with Pledge Floor Care and add a drop or two of Windex glass cleaner and mix thoroughly. The drop of Windex will help keep the polish from turning yellow over time. My preferred method is to dunk the whole windscreen into the mixture and leave it for an hour at the bottom. Use one or two toothpicks (metal instruments may scratch) to remove the windscreen from the container. Use another clean toothpick like a tight wire across supports from which to hang the windscreen to dry. Initially after placing the windscreen you will want to wisk away any excess liquid which accumulates due to gravity. A good quality Q-tip or carefully folded napkin works – but don’t touch the windscreen. Cover the contraption with a plastic cup to prevent dust from settling and drying on your windscreen. Leave to dry for at least 2 hours. Don’t handle for 24 hours. Inspect the windscreen and if something is still not right simply re-soak and start over. Remember that hair or dust or any foreign matter must be removed before re-soaking. Even if you bungle it up with finger prints just re-soak… In the end you should eventually have a blemish free sparkling windscreen which looks as good as new.

The Happy Canadian Scale Modeler!

Anonymous

Excellent system Art. This is a great and very detailed description on how to do this properly.

I have also been successful bring dull windshields back to life with Headlight Restoration products. Some of you might have something like this already sitting around in the garage.

Cheers

KK

Anonymous

Found the Pledge at Walmart, $8.97 for the bottle.

I have a couple of projects that I will try this on soon.

Cheers!

JMS

Viewing 2 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.