• This topic has 3 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

I just shorted out my controller recently and created a dead spot on the brake pot. After doing some research, this is what I found out. The following is pasted from Andrew Smith, CEO at Professor Motor.

One important tech tip to help the brake pot – when finished racing turn the pot always to the “full brake”

position so that IF the controller is hooked up incorrectly then the circuit breaker that is on the circuit board will

protect the pot – if the brake is not at “full” when a controller is misconnected the short circuit that the pot sees

will likely cause damage.

No need to add a fuse .. there is already a self resetting electronic circuit breaker that we designed in on the circuit board ..

that circuit breaker replaced the fuse that we used to use years ago … but any fuse or breaker is not effective if the pot is partially on

(unfortunately)

Ken

Sounds like another good habit to get into. Thanks Ken. :good:

From my discussions with Tony and some others the fuse that the controller comes with doesn’t protect the brake pot because it is rated too high – so that is why adding the inline lower rated fuse was done – and I recall one occasion when John blew Tony’s fuse during a race and replaced it – so it appears to have worked in that instance… but I don’t know much if anything about electronics so I’ll leave it at that.

I again reviewed the instruction sheet that came with my PM controller and it is too bad that they don’t suggest this tip there (ie. full brake when hooking up). It won’t help unless you notice you are hooked up wrong BEFORE you adjust/use your brake pot but that is life…

Thanks for sharing this Ken.

The Happy Canadian Scale Modeler!

Anonymous

A couple of years ago when I burnt out my first pot, I spoke with Andy and he advised of the brake being in the full position to protect it and I shared this information with many club members then.  However, you will still burn out your pot once you adjust your break to race if your controller is not hooked up correctly.  I would double and triple check how you are connecting your controller before beginning a heat.  Otherwise, Tony’s fuse will save your controller.  A full-proof method would be to switch to three prong electrical plug and all track owners must add a plug in method similar to any electrical wall plug in your home.  You can keep your current system and add a plug or switch it with a plug.  We would then switch our clips with a plug similar to any electrical appliance on our controllers and we can plug in while we are sleep walking with our eyes closed and we would never burn our brake pot.

Viewing 3 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.