Forums Workshop Academy What workshop do you want?

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      ArtArt

Well,

It’s been a few years now and we’ve gone from chassis building 101 to grand prix suspension detail, from painting bodies to painting pilot faces, from truing tires to full on tuning/tweaking…

For those newer to our group – what would you like to do?

Let's Get Building!

The workshops are an excellent way for us new to the Scratch build to learn, I really would like to learn how to build a brass chassis, a tubing chassis and a torsion chassis.

KenKen

Thank you very kindly for asking.

Luis is the newest member. I may be the second newest member at the moment by default.

May I suggest a part by part workshop where we all build one part? Not to make a whole car. But let’s say everyone get’s to make a motor mount? Just that one part. That way everyone gets to understand things like proper heat transfer using their own tools. That means everyone needs to bring their own tools you tell us to bring.

I know it’s been tried unsuccessfully before. But that might have been because the build wasn’t broken into smaller parts.

If everyone fails miserably. At least we’ll know why were failing. You can tell us. :yes:

That is an idea to consider, it will be best to get small pieces of information at a time considering it will be hands on

KenKen

The first hurdle will be to have everyone bring their own tools. I earn a living with my tools. I try and buy the best when ever possible and never regret it. I can’t afford failure on the job. The moment someone substitutes a $120.00 Weller soldering iron for something else to save money? The evening will fail for that reason, and specifically for that builder.

The hurdles to a hands-on build need to be figured out. I’ve heard this didn’t work once before. But I would like a chance to see if we can make it work. Brass chassis’s are the next thing for me to learn. I’m willing. I have the soldering tools.

The second hurdle will probably be chassis jigs.

MiAMiA

I would like to see workshops on both  rattle pan and torsion chassis’.

KenKen

I have been privileged to sit in on several build sessions with Art. The missing piece of the puzzle for me is the designs he comes up with in his imagination. Each car for him is different because of his experience. I need to work with a 3D drawing or I’m lost.

Maybe we can all agree to buy a simple common brass torsion chassis kit that fits a simular car/class? Then we can practice building before having to come up with original chassis designs. The sky may open up after everyone makes thier first brass torsion chassis kit.

We can do small portions of the same kit. The same questions will probably arise, and we can share experiences. That’s great progress for one club. Others may join in if scratch-building becomes more newbie friendly. :good:

It would be really cool if everyone in the club could give, or add to a workshop the tricks they’ve learned once we’ve grown. No one has a monopoly on good ideas.

That’s my 2-cents but I only have a nickel. Anyone got change?

• This reply was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by KenKen.
      KenKen

One more idea. Everyone buys the same car. Either a D’Art Ferrari 312, or 612, or something along those lines so we all have the exact same wheelbase, etc?

A workshop with different cars will be very confusing and defeat the purpose of learning the same lessons together.

KenKen

I have yet to make my first brass chassis. Luis is also starting from the beginning. May I suggest we start with a basic chassis? Torsion and rattle pan chassis’s are an added option once we can all make a basic brass chassis.

There will soon be a new McLaren M5A body kit available. May I suggest we all start with that kit? It’s a new model for everyone, and will keep the build simple.

Please add your preferences?

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.