• This topic has 24 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Avatar photoKen.
  • Creator
    Topic

I’m always looking for different and odd kits to build for the future. Here are some recent finds…

Luis helped me pick this up from around the Hamilton area. Thank you Luis! The Triumph Herald is an odd looking duck.

This Spitfire kit came from one of the members of Group-25.

These just arrived from HobbyLink Japan. I finally got a Carrera Panamericana Beetle!

What is everyone up to? What are you building or buying for future, possible builds? Post any build at all. Nothing is too strange. Cool scenery is interesting too.

I may not build every kit. But it’s fun poking through the boxes and deciding. 🙂

Viewing 18 reply threads
    • Author
      Replies

The Herald is an interesting find.  I owned one when I was 19.  Kind of sporty even in the base model but very prone to rust.  Always like the Spitfire such an iconic name.

My projects include giving some love to a number of unloved Triang cars from the early 60s (Lotus, BRM, Cooper).  Most have running RX03 motors (similar to a Pitman).  Tuning them up with metal rear wheels, new tires and general clean up.  I have one dated 1961 on the chassis.  Also looking forward to the kits from Art I purchased Auto Union and Corsa.

I have a number of sealed 1/32 kits which I probably will never make but who knows!  :unsure:

That’s some cool stuff Dave. Please post pics of everything! You just might inspire yourself to build the entire garage. :good:

This next isolation period might be a long one. This is the winter to build cars.

I am finding evidence of several ragtop Triumph Spifire race cars in the 1964 era. But find very little evidence of a Triumph Spitfire slot car. Is there a gap in the slot car market?

A Bellett GTR was not in stock at HobbyLink Japan when I ordered the other kits so it got redirected to what they call “your private warehouse”.

Shipping one kit from Japan is not cost effective at all. So along with the Bellett GTR, I decided to fill my wish-list. The following kits have been added to the order.

64 Prince Gloria

64 Gloria Super 6

65-67 Fairlady 2000

71 Nissan Skyline GTR

65-66 Hino Contessa

At $8.50 per kit Canadian. You just can’t lose.

Most if not all of these cars ran in Japanese endurance races.

The Hino Contessa below looks like a Japanese Corvair.

1964 Datsun Prince Gloria Super 6 race car nicely restored for the world to see. ARII’s kit version below it.

Odd looking car. But interesting.

1971 Nissan Skyline GT-R. I had no idea when I ordered it that it was based on a real livery.

1965 Datsun Fairlady 2000 race car. Driver – Mike Sweeney.

The only difference between a 1965 and 67 is the front grill. Easy fix.

1965 Toyota Sports 800. These Toyotas ran in a 24-hour endurance races. I never knew about these very cool cars.

The Triumph Herald found a new home at DB’s garage.

The Triumph TR4A found a new home at Luis’s garage.

Happy building! :good:

I can’t remember a  RTR Spitfre ever being produced.  Too much competition from other sports cars,  Jags, AM, Healey etc for  manufacturers to pay any attention.  There are a few resin kits plus the kit you found.  George Turner does a good job of making some nice kits of more obscure British cars.  Finished tuning up my Triang Cooper though need new tires and to grind down inserts for rear wheels. Runs much better.

Dave. Thank you for responding. The Aurora Spitfire is not all that accurate. It has issues.

Your Cooper looks very interesting. :good:

This just came to me today by sheer luck. I remember this car as a kid, and always loved it. I always thought it was a 1968 Corvette. Turns out it’s actually a 1965 Corvette Mako Shark II. Very cool for 1965.

The real car was world famous.

Here’s the full history of the Corvette, and why it’s called a 1965 model.

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/2014/03/06/cars-of-futures-past-1965-corvette-mako-shark-ii

Ken

That’s a very cool find Ken.

Steve

I might have already posted these once upon a time, but… just for fun: these were taken a Mosport I think about 1967 when GM had the Sharks and Monza on tour. As I recall the one with the clear bubble top and the side pipes was the original Mako Shark, the closed one the Mako Shark 2 and the Monza was a Corvair design study. It shows a lot of Corvette influence.

That will make one spectacular model with the colour gradiation depicting a dark shark top fading to light shark bottom will be fascinating to apply. B-)

Anonymous

I can’t remember a RTR Spitfre ever being produced. Too much competition from other sports cars, Jags, AM, Healey etc for manufacturers to pay any attention. There are a few resin kits plus the kit you found. George Turner does a good job of making some nice kits of more obscure British cars. Finished tuning up my Triang Cooper though need new tires and to grind down inserts for rear wheels. Runs much better.

Lots of  things can be done to the RX powered Scaley clamshell F1 cars to get them running really well !!……be happy to help.

Cheers

Chris Walker

Chris, I certainly would be appreciative of your help on making the car run better.  I have a number of cars with RX03 motors and it’s a winter project to “tune” them.  How would we move forward on that.

Many thanks

Dave Blundell

I might have already posted these once upon a time, but… just for fun: these were taken a Mosport I think about 1967 when GM had the Sharks and Monza on tour. As I recall the one with the clear bubble top and the side pipes was the original Mako Shark, the closed one the Mako Shark 2 and the Monza was a Corvair design study. It shows a lot of Corvette influence. That will make one spectacular model with the colour gradiation depicting a dark shark top fading to light shark bottom will be fascinating to apply. B-)

Thanks for posting this MiA. Those are some sharp looking cars! I can’t wait to build my shark. :yahoo:

Chris. Stunning as usual! :good:

Anonymous

Chris, I certainly would be appreciative of your help on making the car run better. I have a number of cars with RX03 motors and it’s a winter project to “tune” them. How would we move forward on that. Many thanks Dave Blundell

Hi Dave, if you would email me your phone #, I will be happy to give you a call.

cheers

Chris Walker

[email protected]

Chris, my number is 905 -686 – 1926

Axle received Chris.  Thanks so much.

The local Canadian town cryer says “Hear ye, hear ye. I might as well share a few things eh?”

These kits came in for Luis. Now there are 2-Bellett GTR’s in the club. R-32 Sportscars.

A friend shared an order from HobbyLink Japan, and these kits came in for him. I can’t mention any names. But he seems to like Porsche.

These made up the other half of the order from Japan.

When I first joined S32. I could not find vintage kits if my life depended on it. So I asked everyone I saw. I guess constantly asking and searching has a way of paying off. These were offered to me, and I could not refuse.

The Honda S600 finally came back in stock at HobbyLink Japan. The very first one went to a friend as a gift. I look forward to seeing it on the track.

The real 1:1 Honda S600 was double chain drive to the rear wheels. You don’t see that very often.

HobbyLink Japan just restocked their shelves. Luis and I just ordered 6-kits together that had not been in stock for a long time. My Honda S600 is in transit.  :yahoo:

Note to Drew.

I’ve always wanted a Ferrari Dino. Too bad it’s not a 1/32.

I took your 50+ year old Dino apart. It was seized from sitting. Cleaned it. Re-assembled it. Installed new rear tires. What used to be dead, now runs great!

It’s funny the things we’re tinkering with during the recent lockdown.

As time goes by. New cars become old cars. I’m always hunting for 1/32 static kits. I even grab the modern ones because one day they won’t be considered modern anymore. These were about $10 each. One day we’ll get there.

They sit on a shelf until we decide to race these. Another version of low powered street racers?

Viewing 18 reply threads
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.