• This topic has 6 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 2 months ago by Ken.
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Art

Both Scratch32 and R32 rules currently leave model eligibility vague. For enlightenment and to ensure we are all on the same page here is what our resident hot rod expert ‘Belleville Kevin aka ‘the other Kevin” took the time to summarize for me:

Q: What is a ‘Hot Rod’?

“Although not etched in stone it has always been my understanding that a hot rod (or street rod) is a modified or customized car/truck that is 1948 or older. The vehicle can be painted or in primer, still have fenders,hood,bumpers or they can be removed, it does not make a difference. Why 1948 ? That was the year that Ford and a few other manufactures changed their body style from fat bulbous fenders to the more slab side look. Compare a 48 Ford to a 49 and there is a big difference in appearance. So ‘technically’ the shoebox Fords you guys race are not true hot rods. Cars from 49 and up were known as street machines. In the 70’s & 80’s there were events that were either for street rods (hot rods) or street machines. If you showed up at a street rod meet in a 49 Chev you were not getting in! Most of the shows these days are open to all makes (to get more entrants & spectators) or have a cut off at 1980. A lot of people who did not grow up in that era refer to older ‘souped up’ cars as hot rods.

Just to make things even more confusing, the majority of magazines that have Hot Rod in their title will publish more than just 48 and older vehicles, to increase readership I suspect.

Another term heard quite often these days is Rat Rod. This refers to the scruffy, cut up looking cars that are pieced together using whatever the builder can find laying around. Usually seen without paint and exposed welds. Watch an episode or two of Vegas Rat Rods and you will see what I mean. There are also terms like kustom, leadsled, gasser and fat fendered but we will save those for another time.”

Excellent summary from Belleville Kevin.

So at present our rules (both Scratch32 and R32) are vague – and this was done intentionally. We never included a cut off year – so whether anyone chooses to build/race a true ‘hot rod’ or a ‘street rod’ or a ‘rat rod’ that is their choice….  :wacko:

Ken

Art,

Thank you very kindly for taking the time to clarify the Hot Rod class. Everyone in the club probably knows I’m the guy that asked the question “what’s the year limit for the S32/R32 Hot Rod class?”.  It was memememe!

There may be a 55-Chevy Nomad with a pair of surf boards lurking in the Hot Rod Garage.

Cheers,

Ken

I like to paint bodies, and make chassis. How may I help you build your car?

Art

As those of you who follow the Internationale Meisterschaft reports know I usually break down the hot rod results into sub classes based on body style – so it isn’t a far stretch to also distinguish between three types of models: street rods (SR), street machines (SM) & rat rods (RR). We already have all three body styles racing in our hot rod class…

Art

Given recent discussions according to my understanding it appears that allowing wider wheels (and tires) in the original hot rod class rules are fine – no one objects. Some wish to widen the width (or track) of the existing hot rod class to accommodate more models with a wider track within reason but keep everything else the same (motors and configuration). Others wish to create a new hot rod class (a hot rod plus class or HP+) which would include any slow motor in any configuration up to any track or width (yet to be determined) which would race in their own separate class… lots to think about…

Ken

Steve and I have both agreed to build an HR+ test car with the following guidelines.

1) Any width rear wheel/tire.

2) Maximum track width 54mm – outside to outside of the tire. For cars with fenders, the body can stick out within reason as per regular HR rules.

3) BWMS050 Slimline, any drive configuration.

4) Any gearing.

It’s just an innocent test until everyone else buys into the idea and wants to build a car. No cars? No class.

Boulevard Cruisers have yet to race because not enough cars have been built. And that was with everyone being somewhat excited about it. I’m ever hopeful.

Ken

Ken

What have we here?

It’s in 1/32.

Ken

It looks a bit top heavy… Maybe I’ll leave the roof off, completely change the colour, and do my own custom thing. Bye bye Red Baron.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.