• This topic has 3 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 3 years ago by Avatar photoKen.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

I finally broke down and bought an Arii Beetle for the Carrera Panamericana. Fun little kit.

I decided to go with car number 262 in the Beetle caravan.

The main difference between car 261 and 262 is the fold-up open top roof. Both cars were apparently red. The kit was molded in red. Why fight gravity?

I studied the removable top in more detail. It did not look like someone stuck a matress on the roof of the car as pictured in the example of the model above. It might look more like the thickness of a sheet of paper on a 1/32 model. Like the example of the real car below.

It lives…

Just a quick update on the building process. Chris Walker has been trying to sway my opinion away from inexpensive bearings. He suggests Professor Motor Oilite bushings will work better. Who am I to argue? Chris has been building and racing since the invention of dirt!

He also suggested that to get the best performance from an inline drive system. It’s wise not to use the motor shaft through the groove in the crown gear. Place the flanges to the inside of the chassis, and use axle spacers on both sides of the crown. He added that placing two 0.005″ steel spacers against the bronze bushing helps prevent wear, and reduces friction. The Beetle was built this way.

I must say, I don’t mind saving a little over $20 per car either. I have too many cars on my list for some reason.

Thanks Chris. :good:

A little progress.

The old chassis was cut up for the bumper supports.

Add a little more chrome and livery and we’re a few steps closer. The three-fold rag top should be a fun thing to do.

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.