Forums General Information The Targa – Proposed NEW DArt Circuit

• This topic has 8 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 2 months ago by ArtArt.
Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      ArtArt

For the last several years I’ve contemplated building a second track (to accompany The Ring) in the theme of one of my favourite now long lost venues – the Targa Florio – my overall plan is to make it floor to ceiling, 2 or 3 lanes and very long (at least 120 ft in length). I’ve studied other tracks made in the spirit of the Targa and many historical pictures/resources of the circuit(s).

At this stage I’m planning lighting and overall footprint so while I do so I would welcome links to any interesting pictures, online resources or other helpful things that you may have come across to offer inspiration while planning the layout of this new circuit.

I have no deadline nor am I in any rush to complete this project so should it take a year or more to complete (or even start) that is just fine.

Thank you for any contribution – just reply to this topic.

Cheers!

Let's Get Building!

Porsche911Porsche911

Hi Art, sounds epic, Molto Benne!!!

This one is a Targa FLorio homage…and pretty good too, buildings and countryside/rocks spectacular!  :good:

http://www.farroutslotcars.com/Tracks-Bill-Schniedewinds-Targa-Florio.html

And here, some good pics

TRIBUNE CERDA 2004

for the Tiffosi

F 166 SC 006I (1950-04-02 Targa Florio, Bordonaro #429, DNF) 01.1

Think I might have posted this before, but pretty cool

and this, narrated by Vic Elford!!

Will compile some more for you, and look forward to seeing your creation! Will help when I can if needed.

Porsche911Porsche911

Will keep my eyes peeled for 1/32 Goats, Sheep an Donkeys too!!

Porsche911Porsche911

Ancoro uno…nice leisurely drive, the History of the event

KenKen

Cool stuff Porsche911.

I would be happy to help by offering my hands and tools. I also have a 4′ x 8′ trailer for materials. I can bring a little liquid inspiration AKA wobbly-pop. I can also bring a little bag of oatmeal-chocolate chip cookies for nourishment. That should help keep the project moving. I stand ready. Just say the word. :good:

Fun facts...
      Chuck Norris's roundhouse kicks are so powerful. The shockwave can be seen from space with the naked eye.
      Chuck Norris once participated in the "running of the bulls". But he walked.

DBDB

Sounds like a worthwhile project and I know you are up for the job Art.  I am sure you are aware of Luf’s site.  There are numerous pictures of the Targa Burnaby track – very cool.    In fact there are 2 to 3 Targa track versions on the site that he created.

http://www.oldslotracer.com/TargaBurnaby1.html

Take care folks

• This reply was modified 4 months, 4 weeks ago by DBDB.

Art,

Will really look forward to seeing what you come up with. I have always admired Luf’s Targa tracks for trying to capture the topography. Can you offer any advice on taping? Your copper tape in photos of your track look perfect. I am getting ready to replace the tape on my track and wonder what I should have done differently to get it to last. Mine started to buckle and lift no matter how much I burnished it.

Joe

KenKen

Hi Joe,

Our humble apologies that this question was left unanswered. Looking at the date, everyone was probably still playing with their new slot cars that they got for Christmas.

I am not a track owner. But I’ve heard from other owners that temperature and humidity changes along with the different expansion rates of the wood vs the copper tape create the buckling. It’s not so much how you apply the tape. It’s how steady the room temperature and humidity can be kept.

I hope this helps?

Cheers,

Ken

Fun facts...
      Chuck Norris's roundhouse kicks are so powerful. The shockwave can be seen from space with the naked eye.
      Chuck Norris once participated in the "running of the bulls". But he walked.

ArtArt

Hi Joe,

Thank you for your question. Thank you Ken for helping to answer.

The tape on The Ring is original and has never been patched or replaced. The track has well over 250,000 racing laps in each lane. In a couple of places I have applied Super Glue (with a toothpick) to the edges to keep them from rolling but that’s it. I’ve been lucky with the tape.

Use only Venture tape and not a cheaper alternative from China. I prefer the orange core tape (which is their thickest) but purple core works fine if that’s the only one you can get. Make sure the paint surface where you plan to apply the tape is fully cured, smooth and clean – you may need to make a small jig (or use a 24 scale guide) to sand either side of the slot to achieve this. Make sure that the humidity in your room is at an average level (or err on the side of less – don’t tape in extremes). Same goes for average temperature but err on the side of colder. I apply the tape by hand and burnish using a BIC lighter immediately afterward. Burnishing may stretch the tape so be careful. It usually takes me a full day to tape and burnish an 85′ three lane track… so take your time and make sure the edges of the tape are broken or rounded so they are less likely to catch on anything and roll up – especially in corners.

Without getting too technical in northern climates I would avoid applying tape in the summer – I’ve seen best long term results when done in the fall/winter.

Regular vacuuming followed by a quick wipe with a dry (but clean) microfibre cloth is the only regular maintenance needed (provided the cars do not introduce other elements to the track/tape surface – our group has very strict rules on what is permitted to clean braid/tires, not to mention that we all use a stock urethane compound tire which acts more like an eraser… but that is a whole separate topic).

Hope that helps… :good:

Let's Get Building!

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.