This topic contains 12 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Art Art 3 hours, 24 minutes ago.

• Author
    Art
    Art

TARGA FLORIO
    (1969, 1970, 1971 & 1972)
    International Championship for Makes

This event will have overlap with Scratch32 SP, CP & 3LM classes but will limit models to those that participated in the 1969 through 1972 Targa Florio races. Participants will include models that finished, started, practiced or were at minimum registered to race in either years’ event. The purpose in opening up the definition of ‘participant’ in this manner is to accommodate as many models as one might have an opportunity to scratch build – NOT to accommodate ready to run bodies or models that are easy to obtain.

No ‘master list’ of eligible models or entries will be provided since it is easy enough to find much of this information freely on the internet. Do some research first and then ask if you have questions. It is expected that you share with the group some of the history of the models that you build and present.

Models in any ‘class’ that raced in those years are eligible. Combining all years there look to be 14 classes of eligible entries: five ‘P’, five ‘S’ and four ‘GT’. Several classes have a motor restriction as defined in the table below.

Models must be modified or be representative in look to the entry upon which they purport to be based. Just how far one goes to achieve this is not for anyone else to decide – your own pride and building ability should be your guide. That being said, there will be a minimum threshold that every model is expected to meet otherwise the purpose of this event will be lost. Fantasy liveries are not permitted.

Actual racing numbers are to be used although alternative numbers in the same font/style may be substituted if one wishes. Consult prior Targa events and/or the Scratch32 Model Database to review which liveries have already been used.

Make sure to list your models within the specific registration topic for the Targa event you are entering. This will alert others and help avoid duplicates from being registered.

Please also complete our online Scratch32 Model Entry Form for all NEW models or models that have been CHANGED.

This event will repeat at least once in every future Scratch32 season (comprised of four months) so unfinished efforts will always have another ‘day’.

Race format will be disclosed close in time to the event but it will not involve heats exceeding 5 minutes nor back to back rotations without sufficient breaks.

Building and registering multiple models for each Targa event is encouraged and those that do will have an opportunity to race all of them, time permitting of course.

TO SUMMARIZE:

• Eligible models – any Targa Florio participants between 1969 through 1972, including Finishers, Starters, those that Practiced OR those Entered/Registered regardless of class;
    • Actual liveries ONLY but number may be changed provided same font/type used;
    • Motor Restrictions – Class of entry determines the fastest motor that may be used for every model as defined in the chart below;
    • Chassis or body must be scratch built – painted ‘white kits’ are insufficient; and
    • All General Rules for Scratch32 apply.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

...'Bitter'...the Ferrari from Austria

Ken
    Ken

New entry.

Driver – Anatoly Arutunoff. 327 cid. Corvette Stingray #76 – GT+2.0 (Scalex). Form sent.

I had to phone Mr. Arutunoff to find out that the all-white Stingray did not show up because of a strike dispute at GM back in 1970. It was a week late to get loaded on the boat for the Targa Florio that year.

The Corvette with the black hood has an unlimited motor and cannot race in the Targa. Oops. Looks like I have a spare SP+ car now. I should have read the race classes more clearly before making that car. I might have made it anyways just for fun.

Salute to Anatoly Arutunoff for entering a Corvette in the Targa Florio!

I came in last. But had a blast!

MiA
    MiA

Can the 427 not race in one of the upper unlimited classes?? :wacko:

In the meantime he did run this in the 1963 Targa Florio.

B-)

Ken
    Ken

Both Corvettes are GT+2.0. That limits them to Scalex motors. I’m not about to ask to bend the rules for one car. I’m not taking the Fox-10 out of the second car because it runs too good to mess it up. Both Corvettes will get a chance to race. Eventually. It’s all good. I’m still happy that I built the second car with the black hood.

Ken

• This reply was modified 2 days, 14 hours ago by Ken Ken.

Ken
    Ken

I recently made an MGB and installed a slow class motor because I felt it best suited the car. Then by chance noticed that an MGB entered the 1969 Targa Florio but didn’t show up. I started to get excited that I could enter it in this race right up until I found out that the Targa race officials deemed the MGB a prototype 2.0 class car. That makes it a full unlimited car for our S32 race. A real MGB had a total of 1798cc’s and was rated at 95hp. No wonder the real car didn’t show up to race. It was outclassed before it started.

Could you imagine a Fox-10 in an MGB? I would call that combination nuclear.

Ken

MiA
    MiA

Sounds like  the same mentality that decided that the roll cage in the Corvette was not acceptable was at work. The MGB was probably felt to be a threat to the more favoured Italian Autobianci in it’s class, so it was upgraded to a class where it wouldn’t stand a chance!! Or possibly they forgot to pay for the ‘favoured son’ inspection!! :wacko:

MiA
      MiA

Since that explanation didn’t make total sense I did a bit of digging. For 1969 at both at the Targa Florio (#254, in entry list) and later at Spa (#22, 24th) the MGB of Richard Dawkins/ Rod Eade was classified as a (Group 6) car. According to Appendix J of the FIA  International Sporting code Group 6 is a prototype sports car under Group B ‘special cars’.

(https://argent.fia.com/web/fia-public.nsf/8264BCB80FDD9597C12574A5003A0BB7/$FILE/Hist_App_J_69_Art_251_a.pdf)

According to FIA a car becomes a special car if:

‘Special cars:
      Cars which have nothing or which have no more to do with a series-production vehicle, either that only one of the type has been built, or that

the number of units which has been built is inferior to what is required for the group for which the minimum number of units annually produced
      is the smallest, or that although they originate from a series-production car, they have been modified or equipped with new accessories to the point that their series-production nature has been lost.

So quite possibly the MGB had been modified so much that this class seemed most suitable for it to the race organizers?? But what constitutes ‘so much’?? B-)

That year an Austin Healey Sprite was also classified as P2.0 as well as an Alfa Romeo TZ, a Porsche 911R, a Ferrari Dino 206R, an Alfa Romeo T33/2, and a couple of Porsche 907’s!! Quite a mixed bag!!

For an MGB, it would have been like bringing a knife to a gunfight!! :wacko:

The P2.0 class for that year was won by an Alfa Romeo T33/2! So I think this should be my next Targa car!! :good:

More digging to see if the modifications can be discovered??

Ken
    Ken

That’s an amazing wealth of information MIA! Thank you for digging up more facts on the MGB. I already had the driver and car information but got stopped by the racing class they gave the MGB. No point in having that information unless I want to race my MGB’s against Alfa’s.

Steve Trainos is trying to get an Alfa ready for this race. I hope he makes it.

I happen to have another MGB kit. I’m sure a Flat-6 would fit using a small shoehorn as an engine crane. First I need to learn how to drive such a beast.

Funny thing about Rod Eade. He’s one of the few drivers with a history about his cars saying “Whereabouts unknown”. Did the cars even exist? Makes me laugh when I see the notes about his cars.

Ken

Ken
    Ken

MIA. I like your example of the MGB being in the same class as an Alfa as bringing a knife to a gun-fight. We can all agree that something went off the deep end of the fairness scale back then. Keeping to some of the unfair rules might be accurate, but it’s a detriment to us as a slot car club. It can only rob us of fun, as well as types of cars that might otherwise be able to race.

While real liveries are cool. That means no one else can bring a Corvette to the Targa because I did the extensive homework and made the car. If I make the only MGB that registered for 1969, no one else can make that car either? That’s quite the inconvenience to the rest of the club. There’s a shortage of cars to choose from as it is. Forcing real liveries on newbies isn’t fair after all the other racers locked up the good or easy ones long ago. The first racers had an open book. Mine is slim pickings.

Who’s stopping S32 from deciding to make MGB’s a slow class car? Who’s stopping S32 from letting the entire club make MGB’s in every colour to race against each other in the Targa if we want? Won’t that be more fun in the end?

I bent over backwards to locate Anatoly Arutunoff and bring a Corvette to this Targa. It cost me real money. But I can’t say it was fair while everyone else before me just looked at the pictures on Racing Sports Cars to choose a car. It’s also not fair that no one else can bring a Corvette. So the knife cuts both ways.

Real liveries are very cool. But unfair to newbies. It almost starts to close the club by limiting cars and drivers more and more as time goes by. Rome wasn’t built in a day. This is merely food for thought.

Ken

• This reply was modified 1 day, 16 hours ago by Ken Ken.

MiA
      MiA

You may not have noticed, but I’m almost as interested in digging out the history of things like this as playing with the little cars themselves. Often the history is much more fascinating!! B-)   Can imagine having been there!!

Ken
    Ken

MIA. It’s hard not to notice your fantastic enthusiasm for the history of auto racing. You are the official club historian!  :mail:

Thanks a million for digging up these nuggets of automotive gold!  :good:

Ken

Art
    Art

Returning in the 1971 S1.3 class:

[71CP067-1AT]

Art
    Art

Returning in the GT2 class:

[70CP138-1AT]

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.