• This topic has 11 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Avatar photoMiA.
Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author

I remember showing up for my first race 5-months ago, March 24th at MVL. I had one yellow Slot-It GT40 in a sandwich bag, and had to borrow a controller. I saw racers walking in with custom slot car cases filled with nice cars. My first thought was “What the bleep did I walk into here?”

On that note… I saw a bread box on the “Bed, Bath, and Beyond” website.

Bread box

I bought some aluminum angle at the hardware store and some #4 screws. The handle is from the kitchen supplies. Hinges are from fence hardware.

Inside the box

Had the store pre-cut the shelf bottoms and made 1.5″ inch strips for walls. Used carpenters glue to assemble.

Bottom shelf assembled

Glued foam/rubber to make car dividers and also glued a small strip to the bottom to keep the car tires from sitting on the tray.

Car drawers

Filled the trays with cars, tools, and controller.

Trays

Everything in the box.Everything in the box

I know a guy with this exact same car. So I printed a copy and slid it behind the front glass. I hope you like it. The box I mean.

Thank you very kindly,

Ken

Bread box face

Nice work Ken. Nothing beats a fine throwback wooden slot car box. :good:

The Happy Canadian Scale Modeler!

Ken

Great Slot car box.  I love the detail in the article and the photos.  From sandwich bag to breadbox is a great story arc. Keep up the detailed postings.  It helps to inspire the rest of us newbies!

Cheers

racer68

Thank you kindly! I forgot to add one last part. Not for looks, but out of respect I installed none-scuff feet so the box doesn’t scratch any surfaces at any tracks I happen to visit. Bread boxes were never meant to travel.

Bread box bottom

Nice job Ken!

Mine is also an old breadbox.

Great job. Very creative. :yahoo:

“Bread boxes were never meant to travel” And yes they were, this one at least!! It also came standard with scuff protectors and a small oven!!

Viewing 11 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.