• This topic has 5 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Avatar photoKen.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

I started this car before I had proper direction. A newbie mistake if you will. I did not realize when I chose the “Candy Lime Green” colour that S32 Sportscar class stops at 1965.

After a little bit of digging. I found a 1966 Shelby GT-350 that was entered in the 1967 Targa Florio (#210). A scarce American Mustang among a field of mostly European cars. It didn’t make the race due to an accident during practice. It became a one-of-a-kind GT-350 BBQ. There are very few pictures of this car simply because it didn’t race. This Shelby was all white.

After taking 3-days to remove some really nice paint. The “Candy Lime Green” Shelby became all white.

The chassis.

I put a little more effort into manipulating the rear of the chassis so it tucks under the rear valance. Measure twice, cut once.

The Shelby fits in the GT+2.0 class and requires a Scalex 18k motor. I went with 9×28 gears with an offset crown to keep the CG as low as possible.

You can still see hints of green under the body. Hard to get it all out.

The chassis tucks nicely under rear valance. It’s a tight fit.

The car came with black wheels. Inserts are D’Art 5-spokes. The car sits fairly low. The body could have gone even lower. But it’s my humble opinion that it would not improve the look even though there might be a slight handling improvement to lowering it further. It’s very difficult see the chassis under the body unless you lay your eye on the track. Mission accomplished in my books.

The car has body-float.The tires don’t rub on the fenders even at the extreme flex of the body-float. But they sure can’t get any closer than they already are.

It should be ready for the next Targa Florio. Thanks for looking.

Great work on the aluminium chassis Ken! Bending the rear of the chassis to hide the post in the back makes for an elegant solution… Can’t wait to see the body when it is all finished! Keep up the great work! :good:

The Happy Canadian Scale Modeler!

Thank you very kindly Art.

The Monogram Shelby kit comes with a very extensive parts list with many options. It has 3-styles of front grills to choose from. One with fog lamps and two without.

As I go through the parts to complete the car. I notice the back bumper is missing. The sprue doesn’t even have a spot for it. Very strange. Then I re-examine the photo’s of the real car I’m trying to copy and can’t believe my eyes. The back bumper was removed. Looks like this Shelby was meant to be.

Even though the back of the Lola takes up 80% of the this next photo. The Targa photo is listed under the heading “Shelby GT350”. If you look in the background on the right side. You can see the white Shelby without a rear bumper. Perfect!

Remarkable bit of historical sleuthing, not to mention the improved look of the rear of the chassis with it’s new configuration!! :good:

Thank you very kindly MIA.

I’m learning to dig for more facts. But no one comes close to your sleuthing abilities. :good:

I’m glad we had a Targa Florio last night or I might never have finished this car. It only took me 8-months. The car is finally completed. It runs well.

Viewing 5 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.