• This topic has 10 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Avatar photoKen.
  • Creator
    Topic

In the 1930’s the Grande Prêmio da Cidade de Rio de Janeiro were held on the infamous 11.16km long Gavea track known locally as Trampolin do Diablo (“The devil’s spring board”). This course followed the coast on the edge of a cliff and returned to Gavea up in the mountains where it featured a series of hairpins in hazardous terrain… a wonderful historic course! And the vehicles that raced there ranged from lowly Ford V8’s to Alfa’s, Ferrari’s, Bugatti’s and yes – even an Autounion!

Click on the attached .pdf below to review this article – it features interesting facts with numerous pictures about an obscure Grand Prix course and the pilots and their cars that navigated it… Enjoy! :yahoo:

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

The Happy Canadian Scale Modeler!

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies

1934 winner Irineu Correa’s fatal accident on the first lap of the 1935 Grand Prix in Rio – he and his car catapult into the canal:

The Happy Canadian Scale Modeler!

Wow That’s crazy!

Great article! I didn’t realize Brazilian racing history went back that far

Delving back into historic races is one of the great things about this little hobby. Remembering things long forgotten while researching a car is fun, finding out new stories from even further back is fascinating, especially when the stories have lots of Alfas!!

Thanks Art. :good:

Spectacular job on Mr. Correa and his Ford!!!  Not sure, but it may have been a 1932 Model 18 V8 (perhaps why the #32). Regardless, great job on not only the car and chassis but an especially good job on Mr. Correa himself!

Car goes remarkably well despite the height and looks ‘Just Right’!! Can’t get any more authentic than that!!

Great job on the Ford!

Lots of customization on that one.

Can’t wait to see it in person.

Watched a bit of Goodwood this evening and they had some interesting pre war oddities. It was streaming on youtube.

I will see if I can find the video (old VHS) with a short glimpse of this car at the start of the 1935 Rio GP. It is in an Auto Union video. If I do, the next step will be to see If I can get it into this thread?? :wacko:

I may have posted this link before, as it is mostly Auto Union. However at 18:37 there is a glimpse of what might be this car :scratch: at the start of the 1937 Rio Grand Prix amidst a field of other marques. An excellent video regardless.

Cool video MIA. Thanks for posting. :good:

Viewing 9 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.