• This topic has 3 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Avatar photoKen.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

A few years ago I built a white kit for a GT40 and painted it yellow with black hood.  I decided to rebuild this car and do a better job on the livery since the original project fell short of expectations and I was never happy with it.  … I disassembled the car, removed the driver, cockpit, windshield, lights, grills, etc.  I submerged the yellow livery into a tub of Superclean for 48-72 hours to remove the paint and decals, and scrubbed the body clean with a toothbrush until all the paint was removed.

b1

These photos are of the original build that I wasn’t happy with.

b2

I decided to rebuild the car and copy the #130 – GT40 livery that ran in the 1967 Targa Florio.

n1

The freshly repainted body, pearl white with black headlights, hood air intake and rear.

n2

n3

n5

n6

I think the second attempt turned out a little better… there were some mistakes made with gluing the body together originally that could not be rectified but the final result was improved.  The body sits on a plastic chassis for the moment, a scratch chassis is a possibility in the distant future.  There are many other projects already in the queue that are a priority.

Thanks for looking.

Refreshing change of colour Jim. Nice paint work.

I tip my hat to you for having what it takes to strip and repaint a car.

Soon you’re going to be the guy giving the paint workshops. :good:

Thanks Ken

Once you do this, you realize how easy it is with Superclean.  If you are not 100% satisfied, don’t be afraid to start again.

You are spot on Jim. Practice makes perfect.

I’ve gone through several small bottles of Super Clean already due to paint mistakes/errors. Just don’t tell anyone. It’s our little secret. :good:

It’s much better to learn how to correct painting mistakes and paint to a higher standard, than make up for them with Pledge/Future. The end result doesn’t compare.

Viewing 3 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.