Forums Scratch Built Models Peterbilt 352 Cabover – Revell Kit 1964

This topic contains 18 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Ken Ken 5 days, 5 hours ago.

• Author
    Art
    Art

From the Revell Instructions:

The Peterbilt 352 Cabover is in a class by itself with custom styling, functional design and uncommon rugged beauty. The impressive Peterbilt 352 tractor is a trucker’s dream. This cabover engine design reflects Peterbilt’s thoroughness in the manner that they engineer and build heavy duty trucks. Every Peterbilt that rolls off the assembly line is custom built to suit the needs of each customer.

And on the Box:

The Peterbilt 352 Cabover is a 10-wheeler with 110′ cab and has comfort and elegance built into the driver’s compartment and sleeper. The high standard of manufacturing excellence sets it apart from all other trucks.

Length: 8 1/4″

# of Parts: 59

Molded In: Light Blue

Decals: Peel ‘N Stick

So, after nearly 10 years this project has returned to be the focus of my workbench…

A square/rectangular brass frame was constructed to accommodate this body and the 10 wheels that it rolls on – using a high torque king can motor in an inline configuration with 8×29 gearing. The motor powers the first set of dual wheels – the second set tag along and can be removed with a pin for tighter tracks/corners. The cab is so large that in order to fit everything under the gantry/overpasses I will either need to lower it and open up the wheel wells or chop it shorter in some places – the jury is still out on which option to pursue… but for now here are a few spy shots from The Ring:

BTW, this is no slouch – in its current configuration it will complete a lap in the 8 second range… but its real purpose will be to transport race models and/or pull a track conditioning/cleaning trailer… stay tuned!!! :good:

...just lay it on the line...

Ken
    Ken

Very cool! It runs really well too. There’s nothing like the sound of 10-tires running down the track on one vehicle!

It will never roll over. That’s a fact. Watching it fly through the corners was pretty amazing.

I feel sorry for the guy behind the tire truer.

Ken

I came in last. But had a blast!

Ken
    Ken

I was at Hornet Hobbies today and this thread got my eye to notice this 1/32 tanker. However, I don’t have a track or truck.

tanker 1

Ken
    Ken

It’s in a factory sealed bag with nice tires etc…  Art. Please consider this as trade for the Tudor you already donated? It might look nice behind that cab, or off to the side somewhere. I could not pass it by.

Ken

tanker 2

Art
    Art

Bing Bing Bing Bing!!!! Jackpot!!!! Excellent! That tanker is awesome! I’m already on it! How to get it to go around the corners and under the gantry/bridges – perhaps either cut into an articulated trailer or just chopped into a short one… hmmm… since it is supposed to be flammable filled with lighter fluid… to clean the tape… hmmmm…. that would definitely complete the 18 wheels!

You’ve been way too generous so far Ken – I’d be happier sorting out something like a suitable trade or the like…. we’ll discuss when I see you next – Thank you for picking it up! :yahoo:

Ken
    Ken

It’s a bit over 15″ inches long. The tanker is shorter in height than the typical box trailers. It might actually fit under your over-passes with very little effort. I don’t want to break the factory seal so we’ll find out when I bring it over.

I’m still admiring the really cool molded fenders, wheels, tires, gas valves, etc…

Ken

Art
    Art

Returning to the build thread…

The outside tires on the duel configurations were trued slightly smaller to allow easier turning…

…and since you can’t buy axles this wide I used 3/32 piano wire… :good:

Art
    Art

Cone shaped tires with the inside diameter larger than the outside are a subject for on going discussion – I have my opinions backed by racing – I invited the world wide globalized idol and slot car guru and genius and technical editor of a leading slot car magazine – Mr. ‘Unobtainium’ himself – to share his thoughts on this subject via email but he remains silent – I know he has an opinion since I heard snippets from others but I guess he doesn’t want to share it in this forum.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by Art Art. Reason: Removed name of world wide globalized idol and slot car guru and genius and technical editor of a leading slot car magazine and replaced with Mr. 'Unobtainium'

Art
    Art

Gents,

Please remember that the information we all share on our website is geared for our local audience especially those with whom we race and those which share the same rules – others are welcome to participate but that will never change our focus. I’ve spend a great deal of time trying to please everyone around the world with poor or unsatisfactory results/feedback. Just look at some of the proxy races I hosted where I not only sent hundreds of dollars in door prizes and posted more than 200 photos for the round I hosted with commentary but was still criticized… for any number of reasons… so now please excuse me for focusing locally – on us – since those that participate directly understand and appreciate the time and energy it takes to accomplish whatever this is that we’ve done so far here… some (locals who are particularly notorious for their ability to scratch build and you know who I’m talking about) said ‘it will never work’ or they just gave up on the rest of us – nuts I said – and so now here we are – 10 years later – more  models – and even a Pre-war Class… looks like we won. As far as quality – I’m not sure there are any other groups in Canada that can hold a candle to our ambition – sure we have beginners but boy do we have some sweet rides too!

There is a reason why you don’t hear from some who claim to be the best scratch builders in the GTA on this website. Some never like to be challenged or beaten fair and square – those are their gripes – I’ll leave it at that. The day anyone has to apologize for being good at something is a sad day indeed.

Unlimited motor and chassis (scratch or RTR) and a marked tamperproof tire on a neutral track – a combination that should be embraced by anyone wishing to have a fair race – we have this series already – but funny how there aren’t many takers… several who boast to the rest of the world do shy away and continue to opt in to restricted ‘low power’ motor races with unchecked tires against their peers – funny how that is….

This website just isn’t for them…

Ken
    Ken

I would like to formally apologize for starting a debate with respect to theories in tire-truing. That was not my intention. It’s in my nature to question everything. It’s the only way I learn. I asked everyone I could about it. Cone shaped tires have more bite in the corners. Almost everyone has agreed on this.

In a perfect world. I would love to see everyone that became upset for any reason, become friends again. I call it “Slot Car Heaven”. Call me narrow minded. Or a newbie that doesn’t yet understand the politics of slot cars. I’m here only to have fun whether I win or lose. So far I’ve done more losing than winning. But that’s okay because I’m learning.

Speaking of tankers. I found another one.

Art
      Art

Holy Cow Batman!!!! Another trailer??? The minions somewhere will be very busy… too busy to debate cone shaped tires… Wow!!! Another great find Ken!!! I think the tankers are lower to start with too – so it really is just the length that becomes problematic…

BTW – it is good to question things and that’s why we have this forum – even during our workshops – Chubbyvette himself put a tonne of questions to you last Monday – almost hijacking the workshop – but I must say I learned more because of that…

Anyway, the point I failed to make was that we should be sharing information – and not be like some which hide or mask whatever they do to make things run or handle better – to keep things secret for as long as others allow them to – I’m not talking about cheating – but doing things like painting their chassis modifications black to conceal or mask what they’ve done, hiding or painting weight placement, concealing or covering motors/gearing… etc… another reason why we have the model database too…

I commend you and others who have jumped in with two feet – sharing your views and comments – there are many others who will never chime in but you can bet they will use any information they find useful on our website – it is just too bad that they don’t participate…

Ken
    Ken

Nice wheels and tires.

Ken
    Ken

And air-ride suspension.

Ken
    Ken

Plumbing is nicely detailed too.

MiA
    MiA

Well, our little cars will certainly have lots of gas now!!

Ken
    Ken

If these are too tall for the bridges.  Maybe one gas tank can be converted into a small diameter Praxair high pressure tank. That might fit under all the bridges without having to change the suspension. We’ll see what happens when the build continues. I look forward to it.

Ken

Art
    Art

Those suspension pieces are nice details and I’m thinking of how to replace the ‘pins’ with either short 3/32″ axle stubs or full axles drilled through… either way they appear to be very formidable pieces! But first I need to finish the tractor….

Late last night I had a chance to take a closer look at a vintage Ford 600? 1:32 tractor/trailer kit… a north American style Ferrari team transporter to be precise – which might be something to seriously consider building for this genre… it isn’t for all – but boy do they all look great!

Art
    Art

Working on the trailer…

You can’t see it but every piece of the trailer [sitting here on my bench] was modified – and it took a crazy amount of time – but so be it with bashing a kit… :good:

Ken
    Ken

Amazing workbench! I know what I want for Christmas.

Let’s see a close-up of the trailer please? I’m never going to build one. But it’s fun to watch new challenges being tackled.

Ken

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.