• This topic has 14 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Avatar photoKen.
  • Creator
    Topic

From the Revell Instructions:

The Peterbilt 352 Cabover is in a class by itself with custom styling, functional design and uncommon rugged beauty. The impressive Peterbilt 352 tractor is a trucker’s dream. This cabover engine design reflects Peterbilt’s thoroughness in the manner that they engineer and build heavy duty trucks. Every Peterbilt that rolls off the assembly line is custom built to suit the needs of each customer.

And on the Box:

The Peterbilt 352 Cabover is a 10-wheeler with 110′ cab and has comfort and elegance built into the driver’s compartment and sleeper. The high standard of manufacturing excellence sets it apart from all other trucks.

Length: 8 1/4″

# of Parts: 59

Molded In: Light Blue

Decals: Peel ‘N Stick

So, after nearly 10 years this project has returned to be the focus of my workbench…

A square/rectangular brass frame was constructed to accommodate this body and the 10 wheels that it rolls on – using a high torque king can motor in an inline configuration with 8×29 gearing. The motor powers the first set of dual wheels – the second set tag along and can be removed with a pin for tighter tracks/corners. The cab is so large that in order to fit everything under the gantry/overpasses I will either need to lower it and open up the wheel wells or chop it shorter in some places – the jury is still out on which option to pursue… but for now here are a few spy shots from The Ring:

BTW, this is no slouch – in its current configuration it will complete a lap in the 8 second range… but its real purpose will be to transport race models and/or pull a track conditioning/cleaning trailer… stay tuned!!! :good:

The Happy Canadian Scale Modeler!

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies

Very cool! It runs really well too. There’s nothing like the sound of 10-tires running down the track on one vehicle!

It will never roll over. That’s a fact. Watching it fly through the corners was pretty amazing.

I feel sorry for the guy behind the tire truer.

Ken

I was at Hornet Hobbies today and this thread got my eye to notice this 1/32 tanker. However, I don’t have a track or truck.

tanker 1

It’s in a factory sealed bag with nice tires etc…  Art. Please consider this as trade for the Tudor you already donated? It might look nice behind that cab, or off to the side somewhere. I could not pass it by.

Ken

tanker 2

Bing Bing Bing Bing!!!! Jackpot!!!! Excellent! That tanker is awesome! I’m already on it! How to get it to go around the corners and under the gantry/bridges – perhaps either cut into an articulated trailer or just chopped into a short one… hmmm… since it is supposed to be flammable filled with lighter fluid… to clean the tape… hmmmm…. that would definitely complete the 18 wheels!

You’ve been way too generous so far Ken – I’d be happier sorting out something like a suitable trade or the like…. we’ll discuss when I see you next – Thank you for picking it up! :yahoo:

It’s a bit over 15″ inches long. The tanker is shorter in height than the typical box trailers. It might actually fit under your over-passes with very little effort. I don’t want to break the factory seal so we’ll find out when I bring it over.

I’m still admiring the really cool molded fenders, wheels, tires, gas valves, etc…

Ken

Returning to the build thread…

The outside tires on the duel configurations were trued slightly smaller to allow easier turning…

…and since you can’t buy axles this wide I used 3/32 piano wire… :good:

Nice wheels and tires.

And air-ride suspension.

Plumbing is nicely detailed too.

Well, our little cars will certainly have lots of gas now!!

If these are too tall for the bridges.  Maybe one gas tank can be converted into a small diameter Praxair high pressure tank. That might fit under all the bridges without having to change the suspension. We’ll see what happens when the build continues. I look forward to it.

Ken

Those suspension pieces are nice details and I’m thinking of how to replace the ‘pins’ with either short 3/32″ axle stubs or full axles drilled through… either way they appear to be very formidable pieces! But first I need to finish the tractor….

Late last night I had a chance to take a closer look at a vintage Ford 600? 1:32 tractor/trailer kit… a north American style Ferrari team transporter to be precise – which might be something to seriously consider building for this genre… it isn’t for all – but boy do they all look great!

Well, with covid19 time to again focus on this on-going project… here’s the chassis ‘blackened’ with most of the detail added, including platforms, mud flaps & tail lights… inserts added too… 

Air and fuel tanks will be added and hang from the cab which is screwed to the chassis. Other details including front chrome grill, bumper, running lights, exhaust stacks, etc. will also be added after paint… 

Paint will be a retro period colour scheme with stripes and pinstripes… fingers crossed!

Looks like with the cab lowered there should be enough clearance under the timing gantry and overpasses… whew! Cab now set into position… still mulling over whether to open up the front wheel openings on both sides of the lowered cab to make it look less slammed…  we’ll see…

Art. It’s good to see you have a little fun. The truck looks great. :good:

You’ll probably regret not opening the front wheel arches before painting.  :whistle:

Viewing 13 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.