Forums General Information Paint – There's no substitute for experience

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Ken Ken 2 months, 1 week ago.

• Author
    Ken
    Ken

I’ve been practicing how I paint with rattle-cans. I’ve made mistakes along the way, but nothing that couldn’t be fixed. I approached each car the same way. If I screw up? Super Clean to the rescue. That stuff removes the biggest paint mistakes anyone can make. But it also removes anything that was epoxied in place like body posts, front and rear valances, etc… That prompts me to paint the body before I build the car. If I’m happy with the paint? I continue building.

I had a feeling a paint workshop might take place at some point. I was prompted to get ready. So I painted just about everything in the entire garage. A total of 15-cars were painted during my last 2-week vacation. I did the math and figured I painted an estimated 35-cars including stripping and re-painting 4-cars.

One car I painted last October was almost flat rather than shiny because I held the can at the recommended 10 to 12-inches distance from the work. I have since figured out that some metallic paints (all paint actually) prefer the can held at a distance of closer to 6 to 7-inches rather that 10 to 12-inches from the body when spraying.

This “Candy Lime Green” Shelby GT-350 was painted when I started wet sending the bare plastic to experiment if primer was needed. Most cars clean up easily with Super Clean. It took 3-days of soaking plus a beat up Tim’s credit card to scrape the green paint off because it just would not budge!

Then a nice gust of wind came along and sprinkled dust all over the new white paint. The Shelby had to be stripped a second time. The third time in the paint booth was the charm for this car.

Here’s an interesting fact. If the weather is bright and hazy (not clear and sunny). You can’t see any definition while painting a white car. The car glows too much to get a reflection off the paint. Similar to being a bit “snow blind” while painting.

Cheers, Ken

Faster than a speeding bullet... more powerful than a locomotive... able to leap tall buildings in a single bound. Yes, these are some of Chuck Norris's warm-up exercises!
    Chuck Norris doesn't churn butter. He roundhouse kicks the cows and butter comes straight out!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.