• This topic has 2 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Avatar photoKen.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

I sometimes wake up the house by shaking rattle-cans late at night after everyone else has gone to bed. Oops. Towels and/or rags around the can doesn’t seem to help enough.

I had to recently create/invent a small bucket-spinner for a customer. That got me to thinking about a paint can spinner.

Ingredients: Scrap wood. A few drywall screws. Old 12VDC power supply. Old crappy slot car chassis. Gear-motor from “Princess Auto” surplus department ($15). And about 45-minutes of serious goofing around. :wacko:

The chassis was cut apart to use the front axle to balance the drive and give the can 4-points of rotational stability. The tires were removed from the wheels for less rolling resistance. The tires weren’t very round anyways.

It spins the can about one and a half revolutions per second. Just enough to barely hear the widget rolling around. 20 to 30-minutes of spinning should get the sediment off the base of the can. A few shakes in warm water just before painting should do the rest (hopefully without waking the house).

Excellent! This is on my ‘To Do’ list…

The Happy Canadian Scale Modeler!

This is the latest version of the paint can spinner. Version B2.

Rather than cutting up an old slot car chassis. The budget was tossed aside in favor of three matching wheels from Home Depot at $2.59 each. There’s also about $4 in wood.

A DC plug was installed in case the power supply wire gets pulled/kicked out by mistake. (Sayal Electonics for the plug and power supply)

I often leave the can spinning for several hours before use. There is little chance of any sediment laying on the bottom after spinning that long. Getting all the sediment off the bottom helps the colour and/or metallic pop a little more.

Princess Auto is clearing the gear-motor out for $6. Get them while they last.

Side view(s).

Prototype on the left. Slightly refined version on the right.

Thanks for looking.

Viewing 2 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.