Forums General Information New F1 2019 Multi-Platform Private Racing League

• This topic has 23 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by ArtArt.
Viewing 21 reply threads
  • Author
      ArtArt
      Super Moderator

For those of you who dabble with online gaming, especially the official F1 game ‘F1 2019’ on any platform such as PC, Playstation or XBOX (and which was recently made available for free download if you have an XBOX Game Pass Monthly Membership) I’ve created a new private league to challenge us. This new private league is listed as ‘Scratch32‘ and the league access code to join is ‘CM#_JXYW69‘. From your multiplayer menu either search for the league access code or just enter it in the access code submenu. Don’t search for Scratch32 because you won’t find it since it is a private league…

You are all welcome join!

This league is set to race at 10pm every Monday for 12 weeks/races. Each session will involve an 18 minute qualy followed by a 50% race length – so we should wrap up before midnight. Since this is new the settings for qualy and the race are set with most (if not all) driver aids enabled, such as racing line, automatic shifting, brake assist, start assist, automatic pitlane, etc. which I hope will give everyone a chance to dabble without being too onerous to learn or require special equipment such as steering wheels etc. We will use the F1 2019 racing teams/drivers and they are all set to be equal – so whether you choose to be Verstappen or Latifi you’ll have the same chance to win. Every week we will be at a different track. I’ve picked what I consider to be the best 12 tracks. Those who join will see the list of tracks and settings. When you join you will be asked to pick your driver (and therefore team). AI will control the remaining unclaimed drivers in the race so we will always have a full grid of 22 for each race. Championship points will be kept as well. You are encouraged to join and participate every week if you can. If this works well we can start another more serious league perhaps tweeking some of the driver aids, etc.

I’m using the regular XBOX One controller and it works quite well – so no need to buy any hardware right away.

The first scheduled session is Monday August 10 @ 10pm at Silverstone.

All you need is the league code to join automatically. There is a maximum number of racers – 22. Spectators are also allowed. You are welcome to join and if you know someone who is into racing simulators you can give them the league code too.

I only ask that we keep access to just adults serious about clean racing and that participants take some time to familiarize themselves with each circuit prior to the scheduled session on that circuit otherwise you will get frustrated or frustrate others.

You are welcome to join anytime after the league has started – especially since the point of this first go round is to test the league software and capabilities for more serious fun in the future… :good:

Let's Get Building!

f1nutzf1nutz

Sounds like fun! I’ll see if I can wrangle use of my son’s Xbox for a few hours, (doubtful) or if my PC can run it I may download the game for the PC.

ArtArt
      Super Moderator

Sounds good! The Canadian GP is this Monday… better get your practice in!!!

Let's Get Building!

KenKen

I hate to look dumb. But what are these Play-station/Xbox thingies? This can be played on a regular PC like an XT-8088 with a mono-chrome monitor?

I have to finally upgrade from my Commodore-64? :wacko:

What do you mean think outside the box? Where did you even get a box? Where's my box?
      Even though I may be new at this myself. How can I help you build your car?

f1nutzf1nutz

If you’re getting rid of your C-64 I’m interested! I collect old computers as well.

KenKen

My humble apologies F1nutz. I no longer have it. I gave it up along with the game “Pong” years ago.

I was channel flipping and saw a few seconds of “Pawn stars” TV show the other day. They were looking at the first IBM desk top prototype. It was an open circuit board with a bunch of chips sitting in a row. It was estimated at a value of over $100,000. Crazy stuff. :wacko:

What do you mean think outside the box? Where did you even get a box? Where's my box?

ArtArt
      Super Moderator

On line gaming with F1 2019 is beyond belief. Too much fun. It is more fun than racing model cars like we do. Congrats to the new ownership of F1 for making a game that looks and feels like you are watching and participating in the real thing – graphics, audio, commentary, etc… The weakest link in this whole experience is my Rogers internet connection… I guess paying $314 per month doesn’t entitle me to the fastest and most reliable internet experience… and as a Canadian I’m told not to complain… oh well… BTW, those that don’t jump in soon to play will never jump in.

I’m chomping at the bit so if others are game then 2020 would be in the cards – and we can all experience reality together… :good:

Let's Get Building!

KenKen

“It is more fun than racing model cars like we do”. In Scooby Doo’s own words… “Roh-oh!”. :wacko:

If your connection is not good. Mine must be worse. The first question in my trouble shooting guide says… “Is the can on your side tight to the string?”

It may take me some time to figure this out. It’s never too late to be last.

ArtArt
        Super Moderator

I should have said it is WAY more fun… lots of strategy at every stage and way too many adjustments you can make during the race… I’m just getting used to calling or confirming pit stops and making adjustments to fuel mixture settings… it is so disheartening when you think you’ve just done a lap of the Gods and someone else in online league play slams a 3 second faster lap time during the race under the same conditions… but watching, learning and more practice helps… remember you can’t pause online play either…

Let's Get Building!

ArtArt
      Super Moderator

For those of you wondering – even if there are only a few participants the AI assumes the rest of the field – so there will always be a full field to race against. The AI level I’ve set for the league (55) while below expert is very challenging…  hopefully with F1nutz’s input we’ll be able to tweak the settings to best suit our needs… it appears to me that if you disable a driver aid on your local console it will remain disabled when you compete in the league even if the aid is permitted within the league (or set) online. For instance my console is set for a manual start (ie. using the clutch) and even though you can use an automatic start in league play my console will still default to the manual mode for every start… so if you are new you should enable all driver aids and use them till you are more comfortable… I can’t remember what the league car damage setting is but I do know that when I raced in the last event I damaged my front wing and needed to pit to replace it…

Remember that qualifying is an 18 minute single session so you have time to do three short stints if you wish…

Let's Get Building!

f1nutzf1nutz

Looking forward to trying out F1 2019 on the xbox.

Need to test if my wheel will work with the xbox as I am terrible with the game controllers.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by f1nutzf1nutz.
      ArtArt
      Super Moderator

Hi F1nutz!

This first league was created to sort out the growing pains of how it all works – so last night you helped me realize that after the first event no new participants could join in the racing – just spectate instead – so I’m going to try to delete the remaining events and start over in time for next week… this way everyone who would like to join in can at the start for the first (next week’s) event. I’ll reduce the number of races too, but we’ll return to Canada next week so that you can build on any practice you’ve done so far…

I’ll post the (new) code when I’ve sorted this out… BTW, you can join a bit early – before 10pm – but the sessions don’t officially start until 10pm (local)…

Cheers! :good:

Let's Get Building!

f1nutzf1nutz

ok thanks. Yes it was a bit confusing but it looked like spectating was the only option.

Did you get my message during qualy?

Are you able to join in practice if joining late? I was setting up a new i.d. so you would know it was me and missed the 10 pm start.

Then I hoped it might open up again when qualy started but no option.

Funkiestbrush is my son’s id which I used earlier in the week when he wasn’t around to help set up my id.

It’s weird because the game pass is on his id so you can’t play F1 unless it’s on his id then switch which is pretty stupid.

I’ll delete his id from the league unless you want to?

I couldn’t get my wheel to work either so hand controller is the only option at this point.

I suck with the controller and also get the hand cramps like when slot racing so not ideal.

I’ll give it another whirl next week.

I also practiced Red Bull Ring when I stopped spectating after about half race.

Nice race btw did you end up winning? Looks like you had it pretty handy once Max backed off.

Some good dicing near the start though.

My fastest lap in practice was about 1:20 so I’m way off the pace but haven’t done any setup and couldn’t figure out how to activate Kers or whatever its called these days.

Funny they tell you all about it in the hint screens except what button to press  ;^)

’til then

keep the shiny side up

Bill

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by f1nutzf1nutz.
      f1nutzf1nutz

Meant to mention when spectating at one point aroun lap 8-12 your car was popping all over the place not sure if it was the stream or your connection dropping out.

ArtArt
      Super Moderator

Hi F1nutz!

Glad to hear you found it and were able to join, albeit in spectator mode. I did get your message but have no idea how to access it during a race (yet)…

The mid part of the race was more pedestrian until the end when Hamilton began to catch me – my tires started going by the last lap – he caught me and at the final chicane tried to lunge past but I moved to the inside to protect my position, broke very late and managed to hold on… All in all no mistakes that cost me an extra pitstop so it was all good…

I can’t delete the current league so I’ve created another one with just 5 races – scheduled every Wednesday at 10pm – called Scratch32 2019 and the access code is:

CM#_KJWX9D

First race is in a week. You’ll need to joing before the first race in order to participate fully…

I’ve seen that popping all over the place before too… but thankfully it is more the exception and not the rule.

I leave the KERS on auto and don’t do anything with it – I also leave most things alone but for fuel mixture and radio to the pits when I need to make an unscheduled pit stop or the strategy changes…

I’m going to give the hand controller a little more time but ultimately may need to go to the F1 steering wheel…

When the original league is finished I’ll switch it to just 5 races as well or to whatever we think might be best…

Hopefully we’ll get to race next week either way! Let me know if you are looking into a steering wheel too…

Let's Get Building!

f1nutzf1nutz

Sounds good! I’m not crazy about having to buy another wheel.

I have several already so I’ll try some of the others to see if they work before next week.

If not I’ll struggle along with the controller for now.

The wheel option imho is a way better experience. The only downside is you kind of have to have a dedicated area set up to do it properly.

I’m thinking I may switch back to my PC but it is pretty old and probably won’t run 2019 well if at all.

I use F12011 on that platform and it is pretty good overall.

Anyway I’ll do some research and testing for next week.

Cheers

Bill

KenKen

In the end. The driver with the best equipment and connection usually wins. Many people are using mulitple screens these days.

How much is a proper steering wheel that is best suited for this game? I’m just curious? I don’t have a steering wheel at all. Not even an old one. Games basically promote expensive PC and internet upgrades.

When you guys finally iron out all the bugs. Please let everyone know what it will take to join with respect to equipment and connection to be at least a little competitive? I may be down. But I’m not out until I know all the facts first please?

Thanks a million! :good:

f1nutzf1nutz

Hey Art

The new league was the same – Spectator only.

This is the most un-intuitive game I have ever played.

None of the menu selection processes make sense then you get used to navigating with one set of buttons and the next menu uses another. What a piece of sh!t!

I tried every setting and menu I could find and googled the issue to no avail.

I tried leaving the league and rejoining but that wouldn’t even allow me back into the session.

There was an option to take over a car but it would not allow me to se;ect that option.

Interestingly Kimi who I was supposed to be playing as was not listed in the session. WTF?!?

So I guess I’m done unfortunately.

Extremely frustrating to deal with this.

Graphics look great though.

Hope you had a good race.

ArtArt
      Super Moderator

Hi F1nutz,

I saw you listed in the series points screen, saw that there were 2 players in the session but never saw your name appear in the lobby list. I also saw you leave the session… I’m going to try to delete the league and then create another one and change the settings…

Q. When you joined did you see both of us in the lobby? The lobby opens up 10 minutes before 10pm – did you join the session before 10pm or after 10pm?

Let's Get Building!

f1nutzf1nutz

I joined maybe 1 minute after 10. I did see both of us in the lobby at one

point but the option to take over a car was blocked out.

I was there at 9:30 and 9:45 and it said it started at 10 so I practiced on

my own session until just before 10.

There is no info anywhere that says lobby opens at 9:50?!?!?

Accidentally hit the wrong league which is an open league practice session

for a later weekly race which worked fine btw. It was open for practice days in advance of the event.

Then had to back out of that. By that time it may have been just after 10.

Don’t worry about further testing this I am really no longer into it partly because none of my wheels will work with the

xbox and partly because the screwy way this game works in league play (or doesn’t as the case seems to be).

I thought it would be cool to give it a try with the xbox controller but the experience is one of total frustration rather than fun.

Not at all like using a wheel on the PC.

Don’t even get me started on the track limits bs.

I appreciate your efforts though.

Sorry for the rant.

KenKen

I remember Microsoft came out with WW2 flight simulator that allowed the gamers to have a closed-off game just among themselves. By invite only. That way everyone could agree to not get into the battle of upgrading equipment to something like the $600 steering wheel Art briefly mentioned to me last Tuesday.

The moment you go inline to a public site. You have 22-year olds living at home, gaming 12-hours a day. They only need to answer when mom calls that food is ready. They buy the best 3-screen systems with a Recaro seat, and stereo speakers built into the head rest. They have the best steering wheels and pedals. The room is almost dedicated to their video game. We don’t stand a chance as responsible adults.

I’m trying to make see if this can still work with simple equipment like my XT-8088 and monochrome monitor. Can this game somehow be closed off and just for us?

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by KenKen. Reason: Brain fart

f1nutzf1nutz

That is the intention ‘closed off and only for us’

the league Art is creating limits access to outsiders but unfortunately in my case it is so exclusive only 1 member can play ;^)

ArtArt
        Super Moderator

Unranked public sessions usually have major accidents in the first corner (and throughout the race) so if you don’t qualify well then good luck… Ranked public sessions are more gentlemanly…

The higher the safety rating on someone’s super licence the cleaner a racer they tend to be… you can only improve or lower your safety rating in ranked sessions/races… unranked sessions are a free for all… but the session manager/owner can still kick someone out of a session… if you race in an on demand public unranked session long enough you will become the manager/owner at some point…

Let's Get Building!

ArtArt
      Super Moderator

I’m not sure why it didn’t allow you to join – I wonder if it may have had something to do with AI positions being assigned to the field at 10pm and since you might not have been in the lobby just before 10pm the only option left was to spectate. I know that when I join a public session if practice or qualifying had just started the only option left  is to spectate – then it lets you join the next one in priority (if there is space in the lobby). In unranked public sessions that are on demand I usually pick a session for a race that is in the closing laps rather than one that is ‘in lobby’ since usually the popular ones aren’t in lobby for more than a minute or two and by the time you join you’ll be too late – then all you can do is spectate until the race is finished. For ranked public sessions that are on demand I find that you don’t have much choice – it joins automatically to a suitable session – and usually one that is in progress – so you have no choice but to spectate until the next opportunity to practice/qualify for the next race… For ranked public sessions that are scheduled (and have no limit on participants) you can join 10 minutes early and wait until the practice or qualifying session starts…

I also find the menus quirky and not very intuitive – sort of like when I tried using a Mac Book for the first time a few months ago – but now I think I’m used to it and I play both ranked and unranked, scheduled and on demand public sessions almost every day… and it has grown on me.

Best then to give the private league a rest for the time being… and perhaps regroup when the next wave of Covid hits…

Let's Get Building!

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.