• This topic has 15 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Avatar photoKen.
  • Creator
    Topic

I found a Morris Mini Cooper in the 1972 Targa Florio. I also found an appropriate car to get this project off to a good start.

As you can see by the photo on the right, the car is “Plum Crazy Purple” in colour. That should be a cool addition to the other liveries. The drivers for car #51 were Matteo Sgarlata and Joe Anastasi. Class = S1.6. Sponsored by = STP.

I need to open the wheel openings in the fenders to fit the 13″-inch wheels/tires. That will give me an opportunity to make those crazy looking fenders.

The motor is a tight fit with the stock interior. I will need to get very creative with this little car if I want to lower it with bigger wheels, and still keep an interior with a driver.

Fun looking car. It was a nice surprise to find out it has working head lights and tail lights. Since this build is not about speed. I’m going to try and keep them. Look out green Giliberti cause a purple Mini will be on the hunt! All in good fun of course.

Viewing 13 reply threads
    • Author
      Replies
        Anonymous

These mini’s are a lot of fun to run.  You can make this one run a little quicker with a scratch chassis and regular slot it gear vs. than the slot cars with plastic chassis that must use the tiny 22 tooth stock gear.  Even at a low speed they are so much fun to run because you are door handle to door handle with the competing car.  They look great.  I look forward to seeing your completed model.

Good luck!

Thanks for your comments JMSracer. I will take your advice and ditch the stock parts.

There’s no turning back now. The wheel openings are modified for the flares and 13″inch wheels/tires. The car will get a full chassis with all the trimmings.

Small drum sander with a drill at very slow speed.

Ready for the flares and chassis.

😥 It is sad to see such a nice little model go under the knife…

The Happy Canadian Scale Modeler!

I will say, I hesitated to start chopping. But the plan to make the purple people eater is going forward.

An all white Mini could not be more boring. A purple Mini will rise up in it’s place!

Ken

I know it will turn out fantastic… :good:

The Happy Canadian Scale Modeler!

I may have bit off more than I could chew with this fender-flare project. Time will tell. There’s no doubt about one thing… the car is indeed Plum Crazy Purple. Testors “One Coat” was the only colour close enough to match the real car.

I’m glad the car is getting the slowest motor we race. A fast motor might leave the flares behind at the starting line. The flares are both plastic welded, and epoxied in place and are still very fragile. I need to really concentrate on my driving skills. This car can’t afford any off’s.

Chassis is completed. However, I still need to find a way to mount the body and there is no room. Then design/make/install livery details. I doubt it will be ready for the up coming Targa. But the project is back on the workbench until it gets completed.

The Mini is almost finished less the interior and decals. Quite the fender project. The flairs are close to being the correct width but the tires are a bit narrow. Wider tires won’t help this car with such a slow motor. So the narrow tires will stay. I’m curious as to how it will handle with such a wide track?

The body is soooo short. There’s no way to hide the aluminum chassis. It possible that even a brass chassis could not be hidden with this configuration. You’ll see the pink crown gear no matter what you do. I’m not happy about seeing the chassis. But I don’t have many options. So I’ll just finish, and race the car.

The wheels inserts are painted gloss aluminum. But the pictures look like they are unpainted. Some things look better with the naked eye.

Most of the basic racing decals are on. I still need to figure out who some of the sponsors were besides STP and Dunlop Tires. There are no clear photos of the side of the car on any site. TargaPedia has some problems with certain links these days. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I originally wanted to try and create the oil-cooler look of the real car. But the front lower valance would have nothing to attach it to if it weren’t for the front grill. So I did the next best thing and gave the grill the “rough” look with semi-gloss black. It used to sparkle with chrome etc… See pic at the beginning of this thread to see the way the grill used to look.

I had to increase the weight to get the car up to be SP legal (75-grams). It’s right-hand drive and ready to race R/S32 SP. A few more decals and it’s ready for the Targa Florio in a few weeks.

Thanks for looking.

Ken

Mini looks MAXI good! Bring to Spa if you’d like, you can spin some test laps post race.

Thank you for your kind words Porsche911. Also, thank you very kindly for your generous offer.

I was tempted to chrome many of details with a Molotow chrome pen. But the real car had all the chrome removed or painted over.

Taking your advice from a previous post. I installed black grills behind all the exposed bumper and turn signal holes. Gives the car a finished look.

While the car qualifies for SP. It will run about 10% slower than most other cars because short tires. Gear ratios are limited. Please let me know if anyone locates an 11-tooth inline pinion for a 1.5mm motor shaft? Thank you kindly!

Thanks,

Ken

Hmmm, very odd…perhaps ‘new update’, or just ‘User error’ (me) but I don’t see Kens commentary which I received via e-mail in this forum????

The Mini falls into the minimum requirements of the rules. There is no mention of flairs in the rules for Sportscar. The car is 54mm at it’s widest point. That’s 3mm under the regulation.

I don’t try and bend, or break the rules. I try and follow them to the letter.

If I have broken any rules by making this Mini. Please state what I did wrong so others and myself can learn from my mistake? I would like to learn how to avoid these pitfalls in the future. I’ve put too much time into this Mini only to find out it was a mistake from the start. I don’t want to do that again. I would like others to openly see my mistake so they can avoid it too. I’ll glady take the fall for my mistakes to help others.

I now regret making this car.

nor Art’s reply”

To clarify – I have no objection based on the flares per se. But keep in mind that at some point differences made to any body style from the originals that raced in any era may take a model outside the rules. Just because it can be done or is made by someone else and can be bought doesn’t automatically keep it class eligible. Keep that in mind.

This however is a custom built Targa car which closely matches the original as raced in ’72 and clearly meets our Targa SP rules. Whether one believes it also matches models that raced up to ’70 (R32 SP) or up to ’65 (S32 SP) is between the builder and the court of popular opinion.

So, court of opinion in session…I do think it’s a great looking little car, and curious to see how it runs, however, as the builder stated: “I found a Morris Mini Cooper in the 1972 Targa Florio. So, I don’t feel that it would be eligible for SP, as the rules clearly state “Any 50’s or 60’s era sportscar (production or prototype)that competed in past endurance races. NOTE: ‘endurance’ should be interpreted to mean 24hr, 12hr, 6hr, 1000k  and to allow cars up to 72(or later), I don’t want to open that floodgate. In prior iterations of this group there was always a member or 2 that knowingly transgressed the rules, pushed and exceeded the limits, without asking the group to review, and no, it is NOT always “better to ask for forgiveness than permission” I know that Ken did not do this intentionally, but again, rules are 50’s 60’s, which I like, I just don’t think the look of the field would be that great(as it now is), by allowing for example, 55/57 Vettes alongside a big ass/fendered 79 Vette(though I do like their look) but, if the group wants to allow 70’s era too(hopefully NOT then creeping into the 80’s), then we should enjoy or democratic freedoms, and put to a vote. :yes:

Just my 2 devalued Canadian cents worth.

SP1. Eligible Models: Any 50’s or 60’s era sportscar (production or prototype) or

Hi Porsche911. Both Art and I have edited the conversation several times and have already made peace with it in private. So Art and I removed what you just posted. I apologize you saw it. The subject is now written in water to be remembered no more.

Art was worried that the flood gates might be opened with the creation of this car. After the trouble it took to align the tires with the flares so they don’t rub… this will be my last set of custom flares. From now on, I will just take a wiser path and buy a car with a wider body to save about 15-hours on the build. Not to mention preventing a few extra gray hair. It was an interesting experience. But not worth the time. Too many wide, low, and light bodies out there to choose from. This top heavy little car is so tall, it hits the roof of my breadbox.

Fred Steinbroner and his Tudor will eat this Mini for breakfast.

Porsche911. Please vote if you still see the need to revive the topic? I’m not here to fight the world over making one car. I just want to enjoy some friendship, making cars, racing, and a little peace.

Ken

Now that the Mini is behind me (boy am I glad) :wacko: . Did I mention I’m making a green Chaparral 2D on another thread? :good:

I just did a little more Mini Cooper homework.

In 1967. The front grill started to go through small changes from a smooth line all the way down both sides. To having a sharp bend in each side. See Google Images.

In 1970. Mini’s started to change outboard door hinges in favor of inside hinges. They also phased out the sliding door glass in the 70’s.

https://www.minimania.com/Classic_Mini_Cooper_Identification_Guide

I’m of the opinion the Mini in the Targa was not a new 1972 model off the showroom floor. But an older model best suited to race across the countryside. It was likely a used car from the 60’s based on the old outboard door hinges, and smooth lines on an open space that used to be the front grill.

The doner car is a 1961. The body looks 100% identical to the real car that raced.

That’s just my humble guess on the year/identification. Thank you very kindly.

Viewing 13 reply threads
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.