Forums Workshop Academy Monday, September 28, 2020 (5:00 – 8:00pm) Soldering 1, 2, 3…

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      ArtArt
      Super Moderator

Soldering 1, 2, 3

Description:

Monday, September 28 @ 5 - 8 pm

This will be a hands on outdoor (weather permitting) session covering basic soldering essentials and techniques for simple brass/wire chassis construction. Participants will take turns and try their hand soldering wire and brass to learn how easy it is to do. If you have something in mind that you would like to solder together bring it with you... if you have a jig and want to start building your own chassis for a particular model bring your jig, pre-cut wire/brass pieces, bushings, etc. and your linesman pliers & cutters with you too... who knows maybe everyone will leave with something resembling a chassis...

Due to covid19 the following conditions will apply for this workshop:

• No more than four participants in addition to the host;
      • Masks must be worn at all times while indoors;
      • Regular use of effective hand sanitizer will be a must;
      • When indoors all participants must remain on the lower (track) level.

Registration opens at 24-09-2020 09:00

Registration closes at 28-09-2020 12:00

Max Participants: 4

Registered Users:

1. Luis
      2. KensRedZed
      3. MiA

Registration is currently closed.

Let's Get Building!

KenKen

Yay! :yahoo:

What do you mean think outside the box? Where did you even get a box? Where's my box?
      Even though I may be new at this myself. How can I help you build your car?

This is a great initiative for others to learn D’Art of building brass/wire chassis, Thank You for the opportunity

KenKen

Art. Thank you very kindly for conducting this workshop. :good:

What do you mean think outside the box? Where did you even get a box? Where's my box?

It was great to have a professional input and guide lines to learn how to plan, structure, solder and build a scratch bronze and wire chassis.

Thanks a million Art for taking the time and patience to organize this workshop.

Hello Guys, for those of you looking for a soldering station, that is my  Hakko soldering station, I got it at CanadaRobotix.com it is Cad 159.99

KenKen

Here are a few event photos. Cheers.

The car on the jig is Lius’s 1963 split window Corvette Stingray chassis. We look forward to seeing the finished car! :good:

MiAMiA

A couple of reviews and thoughts on the Weller and Hakko entry level soldering stations.

https://www.elektormagazine.com/news/choosing-a-soldering-iron-a-thorny-subject

KenKen

MIA sourced a great supplier with ITM. They have the same pricing as USA, but in Cdn dollars! Thanks MIA!!! :good:

I have a Weller 60-watt iron from Sayal that reaches 860 degrees (the only 60-watt Weller Sayal had at the time). But it only comes with a 3/16″ inch wide chisel tip max. It cost me $125.00 plus tax last year. Plus another $10 for the chisel tip. Ouch.

I just ordered an iron from ITM based on the guys in California using it (PCH Parts Express). It’s a 45-watt Weller that is rated for 1000 degrees and has a 3/8″ inch chisel tip. It’s for light duty stained glass work. Low power entry level stained glass irons with wide chisel tips are actually what we need for brass chassis. The standard price is $56.32 Cdn plus tax. They gave me 5% discount for joining. There’s my coffee money. :good:

https://www.itm.com/product/weller-1140a-stained-glass-soldering-iron

More chassis have been built over the years with a 45W Weller/Ungar with a 3/8 chisel tip than all other irons combined !!

No excuses now,………..get building !!

Cheers

Chris Walker

PS Next time you order from PCH, it would not be a bad idea to order a spare 45W tip/element…………..if looked after, they last an age, but, they are becoming harder to find.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by AvatarChris Walker.
      KenKen

Oops. Did I let the cat out of the bag, or what?

Chris. Thank you kindly for your inspiration. I have no excuses now.

They say 2 to 3-week delivery. I can hardly wait. :yahoo:

I’ll be sure to order a spare heater/tip for it. Very cool how they screw in like a light bulb.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.