Forums Workshop Academy Monday, August 26, 2019 (7:30 – 9:30pm) Painting with Rattle Cans 101

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Ken Ken 1 day, 6 hours ago.

• Author
    Art
    Art

Painting with Rattle Cans 101

Description:

Monday, August 26, 2019 - 7:30pm - 9:30pm;

Ken will show us his tricks and techniques to get a perfect coat of paint on any project using readily available hobby spray paints - in particular Tamiya lacquers - from body prep to the final coat you'll see just how he does it on several different body styles.

Also, if there is any down time to kill, I'll go over painting a few sets of inserts using a variety of methods (ie. sprays, brushes and washes) and different types of paint to make them pop.

Registration opens at 06-08-2019 12:00

Registration closes at 26-08-2019 12:00

Max Participants: 8

Registered Users:

1. KensRedZed
    2. artdart
    3. Luis
    4. MiA

Please login (or create an account) to sign up for this event.

Let's Get Building!

Ken
    Ken

I’m looking forward to learning how to detail inserts a little better than I do now. Thanks for the opportunity Art.

Chuck Norris special orders his pencils without erasers because Chuck Norris doesn't make mistakes!

Ken
    Ken

I just noticed Art mentioned something about a perfect coat of paint. A humble thank you for the compliment. I would not describe my paint as perfect. I feel it’s more like I can avoid some of the common pitfalls.

Art generously donated a D’Art Chaparral 2J body as a door-prize for this event. The draw will be held at the beginning so the winner can choose a colour. The winner will go home with a freshly painted car. We will offer as many colours as possible. It need not be white.

Over time, everyone in the club has become a good friend. It’s my humble pleasure to share experiences.

I look forward to this event. Several bodies will be painted in this workshop. I’m going to have a few more painted cars added to my inventory by the end of the evening. If only I could build them as fast as I paint them.

Cheers,

Ken

• This reply was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by Ken Ken.

Chuck Norris special orders his pencils without erasers because Chuck Norris doesn't make mistakes!

Ken
    Ken

Anyone in attendance that wants one, can have a pre-drilled 350-gram lead weight, a 12″-inch long by 3/16″-inch diameter post, and balsa card.  That way you can easily paint your car, and have a place for it to dry. Almost impossible to knock the car over once it’s in the weight. You can leave your new door prize on the floor in your car and it will not fall over on your way home.

The Maserati 250F in the picture was a dark blue Carroll Shelby #5 livery yesterday. Today it’s Tamiya “Coral Blue”.

Art
    Art

Looking good! Some white number decals (or roundels) will pop on that colour… :good:

Let's Get Building!

Ken
    Ken

Everyone that registers to attend this workshop can have a complete body preparation kit.

Each kit consists of:

A nice size plastic tub that serves several purposes. The first can be for stripping paint. The second is for water sanding. Lastly, these make great storage containers for work in progress. (Never store a freshly painted body in a sealed container) (Stock car not included. It’s there to reflect the size of the container)

3M 2000 wet/dry sand paper

Hermes 1200 wet/dry sand paper

Lead weight/dowl/balsa card

Use the best sand paper you can get. All sand paper new out of the box has high spots that can easily create grooves and scratches in plastic. The sand paper is curled for a specific reason. I broke the surface over the edge of a bandsaw table. Then flipped around to make it curl in reverse. It takes the high spots off the paper and prevents damage. I will bring fresh sand paper so everyone can compare the difference. It’s quite surprising.

Because of early loss of daylight and required drying time. We are going to do the evening in reverse. Painting will be done first on several pre-prepared bodies. After, we can go through the preparation process on another car inside while bodies are drying.

I would never claim to be a better painter than anyone else. I’ve seen paint work much better than what I can accomplish. Check out the model car show winners in September. Too nice for the track. I consider my paint style quick and simple. These are some benefits of how do things.

1) You don’t need primer. Wet sand the body and the paint won’t chip. Body and panel lines remain crisp.

2) You can often get 2-cars painted per can. Saves a bit of money.

3) You can get a reasonable gloss finish and never need to use Future.

If anyone has any questions prior to the event. Please ask.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.