• This topic has 18 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Art.
Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
      Art

[seatt-form event_id=45]

I’m looking forward to learning how to detail inserts a little better than I do now. Thanks for the opportunity Art.

I just noticed Art mentioned something about a perfect coat of paint. A humble thank you for the compliment. I would not describe my paint as perfect. I feel it’s more like I can avoid some of the common pitfalls.

Art generously donated a D’Art Chaparral 2J body as a door-prize for this event. The draw will be held at the beginning so the winner can choose a colour. The winner will go home with a freshly painted car. We will offer as many colours as possible. It need not be white.

Over time, everyone in the club has become a good friend. It’s my humble pleasure to share experiences.

I look forward to this event. Several bodies will be painted in this workshop. I’m going to have a few more painted cars added to my inventory by the end of the evening. If only I could build them as fast as I paint them.

Cheers,

Ken

Anyone in attendance that wants one, can have a pre-drilled 350-gram lead weight, a 12″-inch long by 3/16″-inch diameter post, and balsa card.  That way you can easily paint your car, and have a place for it to dry. Almost impossible to knock the car over once it’s in the weight. You can leave your new door prize on the floor in your car and it will not fall over on your way home.

The Maserati 250F in the picture was a dark blue Carroll Shelby #5 livery yesterday. Today it’s Tamiya “Coral Blue”.

Art

Looking good! Some white number decals (or roundels) will pop on that colour… :good:

Everyone that registers to attend this workshop can have a complete body preparation kit.

Each kit consists of:

A nice size plastic tub that serves several purposes. The first can be for stripping paint. The second is for water sanding. Lastly, these make great storage containers for work in progress. (Never store a freshly painted body in a sealed container) (Stock car not included. It’s there to reflect the size of the container)

3M 2000 wet/dry sand paper

Hermes 1200 wet/dry sand paper

Lead weight/dowl/balsa card

Use the best sand paper you can get. All sand paper new out of the box has high spots that can easily create grooves and scratches in plastic. The sand paper is curled for a specific reason. I broke the surface over the edge of a bandsaw table. Then flipped around to make it curl in reverse. It takes the high spots off the paper and prevents damage. I will bring fresh sand paper so everyone can compare the difference. It’s quite surprising.

Because of early loss of daylight and required drying time. We are going to do the evening in reverse. Painting will be done first on several pre-prepared bodies. After, we can go through the preparation process on another car inside while bodies are drying.

I would never claim to be a better painter than anyone else. I’ve seen paint work much better than what I can accomplish. Check out the model car show winners in September. Too nice for the track. I consider my paint style quick and simple. These are some benefits of how do things.

1) You don’t need primer. Wet sand the body and the paint won’t chip. Body and panel lines remain crisp.

2) You can often get 2-cars painted per can. Saves a bit of money.

3) You can get a reasonable gloss finish and never need to use Future.

If anyone has any questions prior to the event. Please ask.

Wow, this is extremely generous of you. Each day a enjoy more being part of the group, I have learn a lot but mostly I appreciate the opportunity to earn new friends.

I am looking forward Mondays every week

Here are the bodies that will be painted at the workshop. The selection of 8-colours behind the Chaparral are choices for the winner of the draw. Sorry, no purple.

The light blue is for the RS-61. The racing white is for the Auto Union Type C.

A plain white, 67 Cougar will be prepared for paint as part of the workshop.

Art

Excellent! I’m looking forward to learning how to tweak my rattle can painting skills with your demonstrated suggestions – and I’m glad to help out with some insert detail painting too… Can’t Wait!!!

Great stuff See you all Monday evening!

Art

Thank you Ken for putting together a very informative and eye opening demonstration of your painting technique – seeing is believing and I’m sure will go a long way to influence the quality of everyone’s future projects! Showing us how you can paint in less than favourable outdoor conditions and achieve great results in just a few minutes was masterful! Cheers!

Also, thank you very kindly for all of the freebie handouts given to each of us – they will be well used!

Cheers to our door prize winners of the Mother’s Wax & the painted Chaparral 2J body – #’s 13 & 19 were the lucky ones!!!

Also, thank you to everyone for your input and questions during the Q & A session afterwards – some very good tips exchanged.

Thank you Art for hosting the event. Thank you to the group for supporting the workshop.

It’s my humble privilege to help the club. You’ve all become good friends.

Art says let’s get building!

I’ll add… Let’s make some eye-candy! :yes:

Cheers,

Ken

Thanks a Million Ken, That was a very informative and helpful workshop, now a have answers to a tone of questions I had before, it is a privilege to be a member of the group and to have team mates like you.

Luis Meza

You’re most welcome Luis. It was my humble pleasure.

I found a third run in the paint on the Auto Union and could not live with it. So into the Super-Clean it went. It’s ready for paint again.

I can live with the Porsche RS-61. The car will clean up nicely with a little care. I really like the Porsche lettering on the back. I took special care not to sand it away. Molotow pen upside down maybe?

It was too windy last night to get good results. It also got dark very quickly. However, it worked for the purpose of the workshop. But it’s not how I would normally paint. I prefer to paint indoors when not at the cottage.

This side had 2-huge runs. They run no more.

This time the car seems to sparkle more than usual. It’s like a mirror. I got lucky.

There was a huge blob of a run at the back/bottom of the car on this side. Nothing but mirror now.

The fact that I screwed this car up. Then fixed it, seems to have added something to the workshop.

Luis isn’t happy with his Chaparral J2, so he’s stripping it. Truth be known, I wasn’t very happy with how it came out either. Luis wants to correct the colour and go 100% traditional for his J2. I’m happy that he’s fussy enough to do so. Go Luis Go! :good:

Thanks for sharing your tips/techniques with us the other night. No more excuses… :scratch: Now if I could only move that quickly and had the nerve to dare the paint to run…. :unsure:

You’re most welcome MIA.

One quick note about Super-Clean. Paint is time sensitive to Super-Clean. If you want to repaint. Consider the following time scale.

If you put the body in Super Clean within an hour of painting. The paint will easily come off and you’ll be repainting an hour later. A scrub brush will wipe away the paint.

If you let the paint dry and wait 24-hours before soaking the body. You’ll need a credit card to scrap the paint away. It’s a bit like fudge at this point.

If you wait 3-days before soaking. It will take about an hour or more of scraping with a credit card. The paint is hard and only comes off in flakes that are not easy to scrape away.

If you don’t like the way your paint turned out? Don’t hesitate with the Super-Clean while the paint is easy to remove.

Art

FYI: One of the door prizes was a small bottle of Mothers that was left behind… I can bring it with me Monday morning or leave it for the winner to pick up next time…

Viewing 16 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.