• This topic has 27 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by Avatar photoGI.
Viewing 27 reply threads
  • Author

Here’s a couple of 4-barrel Holley carburators on a 351 Cleveland powered Lotus 30. Sweet.  :good:

I know what’s going on my next Lotus 30. I need to locate those aluminum stacks. Don’t you have some of those MIA?

I think I used some of Art’s intake manifold stacks cut from the mounting plates and glued into place to achieve that look on one of my cars. Forget which one?? :wacko:

Also, I think there is an article on one of the slot sites about using pen cartridges or even aluminum tube and rolling the tops open to achieve the look of these stacks. Possibly available at one of the hobby stores.

Thanks MIA.

I thought I remember you with an open engine red Hot Rod with some store bought aluminum stacks that made the whole engine look real. Must have been someone else. My memory is getting old.

I have the 2 x 4-barrel carbs and intake manifold from Art’s inventory. Nice option for the Lotus. I really want those real aluminum stacks. Polished aluminum stacks on a medium blue car will be the highlight of the entire car.

Think this may be what you’re looking for…Been on my ‘to do’ list for a long time, haven’t ‘ta done’ it…

https://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_nkw=non-insulated+wire+ferrules&ul_noapp=true

Not sure though what dimensions/sizes, but would be nice to have an assortment. Let me know if you’re going to order some, would be happy to split, may be the only way I’ll ever get around to it! :>)

Thanks Porsche911. That’s a great idea to use a ferrule!

House of Electrical here in Toronto may have a variety in stock. I bet if I bring the intake with 2 x 4-barrels to the counter. Several guys will wander over just to see check out the mini intake. They may even just give me 2 and send me on my way. Such a small item. Sayal might also carry these.

I know for a fact that a hobby supplier makes these carb stacks out of spun aluminum. I just can’t remember who had them or where? I hope I’m not remembering something 1/25 scale from Group-25 that won’t fit our cars. The stacks made out of aluminum look as real as the 1/1 scale. They pop so severely that you almost don’t see the rest of the car. Worth hunting for.

If I need to hunt for ferrules. I’ll get some extra for you Porsche911.

I finally located the aluminum stacks. Unfortunately they are for cars in 1/25 scale. I now realize that I saw these at a Group-25 meeting.

http://www.tedsmodelingmarketplace.com/velocity-stacks-4bbl-carb-1-24-1-25/

I’ve seen these on a car and they are insane. Makes the engine look like you can turn the key and start it. Details…  :good:

Ken, wouldn’t the #1 Injector Stacks be very close to size to your needs.   You can cut the length down but the diameter is not too far off a 3/32 (0.938 vrs 0.11).  At least my thinking is they might look okay but ………. I am Mr. whatever fits …  :yes:

Length: .59″, 15mm
                  Diameter – OD (tube): .11″, 2.56mm

http://www.tedsmodelingmarketplace.com/injector-velocity-stacks-1-1-25/

On a second look, I see what they might not work easily.

Thanks for the suggestion DB.

Eight of those small stacks might look great in place of the plastic stacks. That’s another option.

I have a friend who used his lathe to make Vel Stacks for a 1/32 Cheetah for a guy in my slot group.  What would be the dimensions of what you want?  I can ask him.

I’m not sure what the dimensions of the stack would be. I can only tell you that the opening on the carburator is 0.145″ inches diameter. The hole should be 0.150″+ inches.

Or I’ll make his Cheetah velocity stacks work by modifying the top of the carbs. Here’s a photo of Art’s intake manifold. This would look amazing peeking through the Lotus 30 body.

Ken, just make your own.

I made some similar ones long ago, for a Lola T70.  I used K&S aluminum tubing and a steel rod. I spun the steel rod and tapered the end into a smooth concave profile. I then pressed and spun the end of the steel into the cut end of the alu tube. The material is fairly malleable, so I was able to achieve a nice flair on the ends of the alu tubes,  without any breakage. From what I see in the photo, it doesn’t look like you need as sharp or as extreme a flair, and you will be working with a larger initial diameter, so it should form easier. You can then add whatever finishing effect you want into the surface of the bare metal.

Good luck with it; it should be a interesting variant on the Lotus 30.

Thanks for the suggestion Felix.

I will end up taking your advice. My lathe is too big for the basement and it’s been way too cold in my garage to tinker. Spring is coming.

It would have been easier to pay $7.95 and just order them from somewhere like the 1/24 stacks.

When you have time let us know how the rest of the build is going Ken. Aluminium stacks or not I’m sure it will look great – don’t get hung up over one part, especially one which will likely be added at the end of the build…

The Happy Canadian Scale Modeler!

The car pictured in the opening post had a cross-ram intake. Both Ford 351 V8’s here have in-line 4-barrel carbs (thank you Art). Edelbrock apparently doesn’t make the cross-ram anymore. The stacks for the carbs will have to wait until I make them from scratch. It won’t stop the cars from racing.

Looking Great Ken!!! :good:  What colour are you planning to do the wheels/inserts?

Thanks Art.

Most Lotus 30’s with yellow stripes seem to have matching yellow wheels. So to stay with tradition… The blue Lotus will get yellow inserts with chrome knock-off’s.

The two-tone green Lotus has gold inserts to break from norm. Nothing about it is traditional.

The interiors were supposed to be satin black. The bottle must be miss-labelled because the seats are more shiny than satin. I’m leaving the seats as is and simply blaming “Armorall” for the extra shine.

Hey RedZed man, what’s with those ‘dual-four carbs‘ ;  did the Intake Trumpets fall off or something !

Did you ever get a chance to try my spinning method on your lathe?      :unsure:

Hi Felix,

Thank you kindly for asking. I sold the old clunky lathe and bought a new mill instead. Making chassis turned out to be more of a priority than making the trumpets.

Hopefully I will find a trumpet solution before these cars race again. :good:

Well, would this do the trick ?

This set will be waiting for you at the next race we both attend. (Bring along your manifold.)

Designed and fabricated by “Felix’s Fixit Facility” for finicky First Flaggers; Patent Pending !

( Pedal’s to the floor  hear the dual quads drink  /  And now the four-thirteen’s  lead is startin’ to shrink  /  He’s hot with ram induction  but it’s understood  /  I got a fuel injected engine  sittin’ under my hood ! )

Seeing as you’ve been too busy drilling fancy holes into Alu square pipe, I figured I might as well make a set for you. I was going to do it earlier but I didn’t know the sizing. I finally bought a manifold part from Art so I could work on the pipes.

Should fit nicely on your car!

( For members who may be interested in the technique, I flared the top using the method suggested in my original reply post, #10982 , March 9, 2019, above.  But I re-discovered that there was a lot more to it! )

My measurements of D’Arts Dual Four intake manifold:    The top face of the carburetors is 4.7 x 5.3 mm, but notched in at the corners.   The rings on the top face of the carburetor have an inner diameter of ~2.95 mm, and outer diameter of 3.85 mm.   The c – c spacing of the carburetors is  5.85 mm.  (Therefore, max flare diameter at top of the pipe is 5.85 mm.)

[ By the way, the Detail Master stacks discussed earlier in the thread will not fit on this manifold.  With the 6.5 mm base diameter, they will sit over the edge of the whole carburetor (and will fall over it, since the top face of the carburetors is only 4.7 x 5.3 mm.), and with the flared top diameter being proportionately larger, it makes it impossible to fit the tops within this carburetor spacing. ]

I hadn’t made any of these for many years, and none with this flare profile, so I was looking forward to the challenge with a bit of interest and enthusiasm. However, my method proved to be a lot more difficult than I remembered it; all sorts of strange rings, ridges, bulges and other deformities arising. If anyone is thinking about trying this, Don’t ! ;  unless you are prepared to exercise almost infinite patience!  This was supposed to be a quick fabrication; many sessions later, it didn’t quite turn out that way!  I had to conclude that  ‘ There is a fine line between enthusiasm and insanity! ’.

I wanted to get close to the trumpet proportions in the photo of the modified Lotus-30, shown (top of thread). I tried a few different sizes and flare proportions in my attempts, and settled on using  3/16 ” (4.76 mm OD)  K&S Aluminum pipe, fitting loosely around the outside edge of the ring on top of the carburetor. The larger base diameter, shorter pipe, and more pronounced flare are all needed in order to approximate the pipe proportions in the photo. I had to throw out my first few attempts at the wide flare; pipes splitting at the top. After a few more sessions, I eventually got smooth surface curves and good proportions. However, with this sizing, and with the spacing of the carburetors on the manifold, there isn’t much room for a large flare. The best that can be achieved in the balance, is the trumpets presented.

( The K&S aluminum pipes seem to all have the same wall thickness, not proportional to the diameter. So, when you go to a double diameter pipe, in order to get the same proportional shape, you have to flair the end at least twice the stretch used in the half diameter pipe, and you quickly hit the malleability limit, causing the stretched edge to split. )

Final dimensions of the pipes made to represent the “ Holley Velocity Stacks ” :    Base OD  =  5.00 mm ;    Flare OD  =  7.05 mm  (requires pipes to be offset by 1 mm) ;   Height  =  6.08 mm .

I am including four circle press-cut screens for optional use. One small diameter pair for the bottom of the pipes, one larger diameter for near the top of the pipes. You can use one set or the other, or both, or neither, depending on what you think looks best. The screens at the bottom should be glued in place on top of the carburetor ring, immediately before the pipes are glued in (which should be done while the glue on the bottom screens is still malleable).

The centre to centre separation of the carburetors on the manifold is 6 mm, and the top flare is 7 mm in diameter, so it’s just past the limit, but there is a bit of play in how the bases sit on the carburetors. To get a good fit, the pipes should be placed a bit away from centre and need to be rotated until a good level placement match is achieved between the pipes and manifold.  (The manifold sample I am working with has a slight inward tilt on the carburetors; may be just from the flex of the mold or from the original model itself. Some tiny rotating adjustments of the pipes helps.)  One way to glue the pipes in place would be to apply a thin ring of ‘shoe goo’ along the inside edge of the bottom of the pipe, then set the pipe carefully around the ring atop the carburetor.

(So Ken, bring  along your manifold or whole car, to the next race we both attend. I’ll give you the two trumpets and four screens, and show you the installation details.)

Just consider it my tiny contribution to the cause!           Felix

Oh my goodness!

Felix, they look absolutely marvelous! :yahoo:

I can’t thank you enough! :good:

Cheers,

Ken

Yesterday was my lucky day to have met Felix at MVL. He donated an extremely wonderful gift for the green Lotus-30 with dual carbs. Even the box is super-cool!

Thanks a million, Felix!!!

Looks fantastic!  Very cool.

The flare on those stacks are better than my circa 1974 Levis!!! Amazing work from Felixs’ Fantastic Fabrication Foundry!!! :>)

Excellent Ken, car looks great; you did a superior job all around.
                                        I’m glad the velocity stacks worked out for you; happy to have made my small contribution to the cause.      Felix

WOW!!! That’s the icing on the cake!!!

Thank you Ken!!! Thank you Felix!!!

That’s some fine craftsmanship Felix!

Viewing 27 reply threads
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.