Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author
      ArtArt
      Super Moderator

La CARRERA PANAMERICANA XI
      (1950 through 1954)

Long overdue, our 11th edition of this iconic road race will take place over the Christmas break to wrap up a disappointing 2020. How? By proxy.

While it will have overlap with Scratch32 SP and SP+ classes models are limited to those that participated in the 1950 through 1954 editions of La Carrera Panamericana. Participants will include models that finished, started, practiced or were at minimum registered to race in either years’ event. The purpose in opening up the definition of ‘participant’ in this manner is to accommodate as many models as one might have an opportunity to scratch build – NOT to accommodate ready to run bodies or models that are easy to obtain.

No ‘master list’ of eligible models or entries will be provided since it is easy enough to find much of this information freely on the internet. Do some research first and then ask if you have questions. It is expected that you share with the group some of the history of the models that you build and present to the grid within this topic thread.

Make sure to also submit your online model registration form for any new models you have built which you plan to present for the first time to the grid.

Combining all five years there are 9 ‘classes’ for eligible entries which represent ‘sub-classes’ for this event.

There are two main ‘classes’ for this event:

• SP – with eligible ‘low power’ motor as described in the scratch32 rules; and
      • SP+ – without any motor restriction whatsoever.

Sub-classes are defined in the list below so please ensure that you list the appropriate class and sub-class for every entry you register.

Models must be modified or be representative in look to the entry upon which they purport to be based. Just how far one goes to achieve this is not for anyone else to decide – your own pride and building ability should be your guide. That being said, there will be a minimum threshold that every model is expected to meet otherwise the purpose of this event will be lost. Fantasy liveries are not permitted. Actual racing numbers are to be used although alternative numbers in the same font/style may be substituted if one wishes. All of the entries sported La Carrera Panamericana badges. Check our decals sub-forum to download your copy to print. La Carrera Panamericana plates with racing number are also a must. You will find a blank template in our decals sub-forum for download too. If you need help customizing a blank plate or adding your racing number let me know.

By registering every entry within this event topic we will avoid duplicates in our event – but duplicates are permitted. Building and presenting multiple models for the event is strongly encouraged and those that do will have an opportunity to have each of them raced as a separately scored entry. There is no limit to the number of models each builder may enter.

TO SUMMARIZE:

• Eligible models – any that participated in the 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953 or 1954 editions of La Carrera Panamericana (Finishers, Starters, Practiced OR Entered) regardless of class;
      • Actual liveries ONLY but number may be changed provided same font/type used;
      • SP class – ‘low power’ motor only (consult the Scratch32 SP class rules) & SP+ class – no motor restriction;
      • Chassis or body must be scratch built – simply painting a white RTR kit or re-painting a RTR release is insufficient;
      • All General Rules for Scratch32 apply.

List of SUB-CLASSES (with years raced):

T – Tourismo (’50, ’51, ’52, ’53)
      SP – Sport (‘52)
      TS – Tourismo Especial (’53, ’54)
      SP+16 – Sport +1600cc (’53)
      T+3.5 – Tourismo +3500cc (’54)
      SP16 – Sport 1600cc (’53)
      TE1.9 – Tourismo Europeo (’54)
      SP+15 – Sport +1500cc (’54)
      SP15 – Sport 1500cc (’54)

Deadline to register your eligible entries is midnight Sunday December 27, 2020.

Deadline to receive your registered entries is noon Monday December 28, 2020.

How is this be organized?

Due to the current covid19 restrictions those builders choosing to participate will register and submit their entries either by mail or drop off. Make sure your model(s) are safely packaged and email me to either let me know they are coming by mail or to arrange a convenient drop off time before the deadline.

There will be no qualifying. The race will take place from Monday until Wednesday evening in three stages. Every entry will be raced separately by yours truly. Stage one will have all the entries on the inside lane at 9.5v. Stage two will have all the entries on the middle lane at 10.5v. The final stage will have all the entries on the outside lane at 11.5v. I will have at least one member of my household helping but any off will result in a track call for overall consistency. It sounds very simple but my objective will be to go as fast as possible without any offs which will favour stable models.

All new entries that participate will be eligible for inclusion in our database as usual.

In addition to pictures I will try to share each stage electronically, whether by video or live stream but I cannot make promises since I’ve never live streamed anything before. Bear with me and we’ll see.

Good Luck to all of our builders and I look forward to seeing every registered model!

• This topic was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by ArtArt. Reason: Added Event Poster
      Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.

Let's Get Building! In the meantime stay positive and test negative...

DBDB

Well that sounds exciting Art. I will have to livery my Tudor Mark II for this event. :good:

KenKen

More of a builders race. How exciting. :-)

I have 2-cars to get cracking on! :wacko:

What do you mean think outside the box? Where did you even get a box? Where's my box?
      Even though I may be new at this myself. How can I help you build your car?

MiAMiA

Sounds fascinating!! What a great idea! :yahoo:   After you race them do you think it would be feasible to provide some feedback on what you think could be done to improve each car. B-)

ArtArt
        Super Moderator

Sure I can MiA… anything that will help… :good:

ArtArt
      Super Moderator

Great news!

Thank you to our title sponsor DArt eSHOP for sponsoring this event by offering every participating builder a coupon for 10% off their next (post registration) eSHOP purchase!

After both registration AND RECEIPT of one (or more) entries each builder will receive (by email) a limited-time single use coupon code to apply at checkout to receive a 10% discount… coupon code expires at midnight December 31, 2020.

The following conditions apply:

• One coupon code per builder regardless of number of entries;
      • Coupon code will be emailed to the builder’s Scratch32 email address registered to their Scratch32 account – so make sure it is up to date!;
      • Coupon code becomes effective on the next business day after receipt of the builder’s model(s) and will remain effective until December 31, 2020 or until it is used;
      • All coupon codes will expire at midnight December 31, 2020;
      • Coupon code applies to all in stock eSHOP products and to online eSHOP transactions only – no rainchecks, no in person or email orders; and
      • Coupon code does not apply to postage charges (if applicable).
      • This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by ArtArt. Reason: banner left align

ArtArt
      Super Moderator

To jump start the entry list thread for La Carrera Panamericana XI:

SP (SP): 1952 – #10 Porsche 356 Super (Alfonso de Hohenlohe) [52SP010-1AT] 

SP (TE1.9): 1954 – #261 Volkswagen 1200 (Alfonso de Hohenlohe) [54SP261-1AT] 

SP+ (SP+15): 1954 – Ferrari 750 Monza (El Marques Alfonso de Portago) [54SP002-1AT] 

SP+ (SP15): 1954 – Porsche 550 Spyder (Fernando Segura) [54SP058-1AT] 

Cheers!

KenKen

1949 Ford-6 #18 Fred Steinbroner (SP-T 1950)

1949 Ford-6 Emilio Portez Medina (SP-T 1950)

What do you mean think outside the box? Where did you even get a box? Where's my box?

ArtArt
      Super Moderator

Arrival of the first entry via post:

SP+ (T) – 1950 #50 Ford Tudor (John Retier) [NEW]

Thank you DB for your entry! To show our thanks for your participation an eSHOP 10% discount code was sent to you by email from our sponsor… Cheers!

DBDB

Thanks Art.  I actually didn’t take a picture of the car before sending it (not sure why :scratch:), so good to see that the mechanic is making some event winning tweaks to it lol.

KenKen

It’s a Tudor-nation!

Nice looking car Dave. I’m jealous that you’re getting a free mechanic. :good:

When Art first handed me the body for Fred’s car. I thought “an uglier car I will never own”. Then I willingly bought and built another. Who knew? :wacko:

Tudors are becoming a bit harder to find these days.

ArtArt
      Super Moderator

Just a reminder that the deadline to register your eligible entries for this proxy event is midnight tomorrow. To register post a picture with class entered and other entry details by replying to this topic.

Also a reminder that all entries must be received no later than by noon on Monday. When dropping off your models please place your clearly labeled box on one of the white chairs on the porch.

I cannot stress this enough, but given the current province wide lock down restrictions in effect I do not want anyone to arrange or to meet (regardless of how briefly) with anyone else when dropping off their entries. If this were to happen then drop offs for any future proxy will no longer be permitted – all entries would be by mail only – and the entries from those involved will be excluded from this and subsequent events at The Ring.

MiAMiA

The MiA transporter will drop off 54SP056-1MA for the upcoming Panamericana. A 1954 Porsche 550 Spyder #550 driven by Juhan Jaroslav.

ArtArt
      Super Moderator

Sunday afternoon arrival from the MiA Transporter:

SP (SP15) – 1954 #56 Porsche 550 Spyder (Juhan Jaroslav) [54SP056-1MA]

ArtArt
      Super Moderator

Monday arrival from Ken’s transporter: 

ArtArt
      Super Moderator

And the rest of those awaiting the start of the 11th Carrera: 

ArtArt
      Super Moderator

A reminder from our event sponsor:

Every participant should have received a one time 10% eSHOP coupon code by email the day after their entry(ies) were received. Please remember that all proxy coupon codes will expire on conclusion of the race (December 30, 2020). Good Luck!

ArtArt
      Super Moderator

We’ve got our final grid for the 11th running of La Carrera Panamericana! 

We have 8 entries in total, 3 SP+ and 5 SP… 3 Ford, 3 Porsche, 1 Volkswagen and 1 Ferrari…

ArtArt
      Super Moderator

Here is our grid, in order received:

SP+ (T) – 1950 #50 Ford Tudor (John Retier) [NEW]

SP (SP15) – 1954 #56 Porsche 550 Spyder (Juhan Jaroslav) [54SP056-1MA]

1949 Ford-6 #119 Emilio Portez Medina (SP-T 1950)

1949 Ford-6 #18 Fred Steinbroner (SP-T 1950)

SP (SP): 1952 – #10 Porsche 356 Super (Alfonso de Hohenlohe) [52SP010-1AT] 

SP (TE1.9): 1954 – #261 Volkswagen 1200 (Alfonso de Hohenlohe) [54SP261-1AT] 

SP+ (SP+15): 1954 – #2 Ferrari 750 Monza (El Marques Alfonso de Portago) [54SP002-1AT] 

SP+ (SP15): 1954 – #58 Porsche 550 Spyder (Fernando Segura) [54SP058-1AT]

I wish to thank each and every participant for entrusting their models to the staff at The Ring for this event. Good Luck to each entry and to each of our builders!!!

…We’ll be changing channels now to the event posting for continuing coverage of La Carrera Panamericana XI! Stay tuned…

KenKen

Art. Thank you very kindly for offering to put this race together.

Also. Thank you for the DArt coupon.

Fred’s car has a lot of miles over a lot of races. I have beat the car silly. Don’t feel badly if it falls apart. :good:

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.