• This topic has 25 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Avatar photoKen.
  • Creator
    Topic

Viewing 24 reply threads
    • Author
      Replies

Has a Scaly FF motor which is needed as the car weighs 105 grams.  Tried a BWA 050 but wasn’t powerful enough.  Need to finish off with a driver and looking for a female driver.  The decals turned out creamish once they dried :unsure: Inserts are from the kit and filed down.

Looks really cool Dave. Nice job. :good:

It’ll be nice to have some Jaguar company on the grid Dave.

Hi Dave. Your Jag is inspiring me to build the XK-120 body you were kind enough to give me. Thank you very kindly again. :yes:

Will you be racing this beautiful whispering white ghost in the Carrera Panamericana? Before I start my car, do you have a livery in mind?

Thanks a million!

Ken

Thanks for your comments Ken. It is one of my favorite builds that I have done. I hadn’t really thought about what event it may race in so there won’t be any conflict with me on whatever you decide to do. From my research I found most XK120s raced in CP were hardtop but modelers license would permit a open top I would think, besides the data is spotty for early 50s CP entries so it would be easy to argue there was an entry. Happy building and stay safe! Here are two interesting links of the XK120.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-zfiEYqFaQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzNNisfd2C4

Thanks for your comments Ken.  It is one of my favorite builds that I have done.  I hadn’t really thought about what event it may race in so there won’t be any conflict with me on whatever you decide to do.  From my research I found most XK120s raced in CP were hardtop but modelers license would permit a open top I would think, besides the data is spotty for early 50s CP entries so it would be easy to argue there was an entry.    Happy building and stay safe!  I have had some problems in replying esp adding a link or picture :unsure:

Your thread inspired me to use the inserts that came with the T-Bird kit. That saved my bacon because I used Slot.It wheels on the back and RS Slot wheels on the front.

I experienced that some pics would DL and others would not. I went back and figured out that the pics that would not DL had a lot of dark colours making them use more memory even though they were the same dimensions as the others that worked. I am not sure if this will help but it is worth a try.

Makes sense about the pics as it was a B&W pic of a XK120 in rally mode.  Look forward to seeing your XK once completed.

Hi Dave.

Once the photo is open. Re-open it with “paint”. Then click “resize” and adjust it from 100% to 50%. Then try re-posting it. See if that helps?

I’m curious to see your pic. :yes:

Cool photo Dave. Thanks for posting. :good:

The car looks yellow to me. Just kidding. :wacko:

The passenger is grinning from ear to ear. Must be a nice ride.

Thanks for your comments Ken.  It is one of my favorite builds that I have done.  I hadn’t really thought about what event it may race in so there won’t be any conflict with me on whatever you decide to do.  From my research I found most XK120s raced in CP were hardtop but modelers license would permit a open top I would think, besides the data is spotty for early 50s CP entries so it would be easy to argue there was an entry.    Happy building and stay safe!  Here are two interesting links of the XK120.

Wouldn’t you just love to be in this XK120 right now ………….

Don’t know what race this picture is of (could be CP?) but this looks cool

Stunning videos Dave. Thank you kindly. I like Jay’s white one. Looks like yours.

A very nice SP+ eligible build DB! :good:

The Happy Canadian Scale Modeler!

I’m trying to set the body height on my Jag. The spats make the body look lower than most cars. I see your car also sits very low. I had to take a second look and… It looks great! :good:

Does the center of the front bumper almost touch the track?

I may have found the source of your Jag in the black & white photo. 1948 Rallye Des Alpes Jag #603.

The front bumper is 2.8 mm off the track.  The body sides are 4.3mm off the track.  I had to create a level  platform in the  front and rear of the body to hold the body mounts as it is very curved so found it hard to get a stable body mount in place.  The Jag is my best effort too date on creating a low rider most of my builds sit too high. Very good on the research Ken. :good:

Correction…… the bottom of the front license plate holder is 2.8 mm off the track.

Thanks a million for the quick reply Dave. Your Jag looks absolutely perfect!

My purple/blue/orange/gold/black/green/red/yellow/silver (undecided) Jag will hopefully look as good.

Dave. It’s funny what triggers certain things. You were kind enough to donate a body to me (thank you very kindly). I had a distant dream of building another Carrera Panamericana car. But then the body sat on a shelf. This thread sparked something. The video of Jay Leno was fun to watch as was the green Jag. Thanks again.

So I started digging. Turns out that Racing Sports Cars is great for placement records. But it’s better to look for other resources that use serial numbers concerning their history of colour, etc…  The XK 120 was among one of the fastest “mass produced” cars money could buy in 1948. Clark Gable owned one of these sports cars.

I seem to remember reading the “120” designation was because it would do 120 mph or 200 kms. Guess today it would be a XK 200, hahhaha.  Not bad for an old banger!

Here’s an up to date close-up of the special “Rallye Des Alpes” licence plate on your black&white photo Dave.

If you knew about it and had enough money. You could order an optional higher top gear in the transmission. That and the mini wind screen option could take an XK 120 to 135mph! That’s crazy speeds for the road conditions in 1948!! :wacko:

Driver finally added.  

Looks good Dave! :good:

Viewing 24 reply threads
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.