• This topic has 8 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Avatar photoKen.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Art

With the upcoming Group 25 show now is a good time to give some notice and canvass interest for this variant of open wheel racing – like Ringwood and The Coppa – we can start with one class – the iconic front engine models from the ’50’s and ’60’s… and perhaps establish other classes covering earlier/later years or configurations depending on interest – actual liveries raced only (but number may be changed) and motor must be in a front motor configuration… motor will likely be restricted to either a BWNC1 or a BWMS050 unless there is interest in an unlimited motor designation…

…please give us your thoughts and suggestions either in person (preferred) or online here.

Hi Art

I think racing front engine Indy cars from the 50’s and sixties would be great. I’ve always been a fan. I like the idea of running the slow motors, perhaps allowing both to allow building flexibility, but I think that having the chassis free as we do in The Coppo and Ringwood would be my preference to a front motor restriction. More people would be likely to build a car or adapt one of their current chassis to an Indy body. This should encourage  more participation and a greater field.  A generous tire size allowance  would also be important as Johnny Parsons 1950 Indy winner had tires much like our pre-war racers but the final roadster,  Jim Hurtubise’s 56 Mallard from 1968 had really wide low profile tires that wouldn’t look out of place on a Can-Am car. If the chassis choice was open I’d definitely build The 1952 Cummins Diesel special ( I have one on my build list right now) and probably a Novi or a Watson Roadster as well.

Cheers

Steve

Art

Hi Racer68,

The remaining open wheel series has always captivated me and repeatedly sparked ideas of implementation. I thought that later this fall was ideal to drop an inaugural attempt given the success of Ringwood and Coppa to date…

Ringwood began many years ago with nothing else on the map. Just getting anyone to make a chassis/model was quite an ask.

More recently and many years later the Coppa focused on models with a height restriction of 5mm but for the streamlined models – I was told by some that this was crazy to do. Far more have embraced the challenge of building 5mm high models than streamliners so far – only 2 streamliners have ever been entered in a Coppa (to the best of my knowledge)… and as everyone has found out the 5mm high models run very well.

Natural progression (for the group) would suggest to me that a more accurate front motor placement is not too far a reach. I believe the past justifies this incremental change. I respect your view – but I respectfully disagree. Please remember that our Ringwood and Coppa classes remain as is and I would strongly encourage you to enter a model in either of them first to gain a foothold and learn from your effort. You are right – building a front motor model as your first entry in any open wheel (or any other series) will never be easy to do. Remember that there is nothing stopping you from entering your models 2, 3, 5 or 10 years from now once you sort out your building schedule.

I’m looking forward to your first scratch built open wheel entry regardless!

Cheers! :good:

I think it would defeat the purpose to adapt a standard inline drive Ringwood car into an Indi 500 event. It becomes the same race with a different title.

I have yet to build a front motor drive car. But from what I’ve seen to date, I can’t see it being competitive against other style drives.

If the playing field were even. I would be happy to build a dedicated front motor drive car. I would be my humble pleasure to place a bulk order for drive shafts the same way we all just ordered motors.

Ken

Art

There will be lots of time to explore drive shafts etc. – thank you for the offer – and I do agree – front motor models should never compete with mid inline configurations… just not fair.

As for tire width and overall dimensions no rule was proposed – so use whatever you think reflects best the model you are racing…

If the people want front motored,  lets give them front motored !  I would like to ask, as a very slow builder, that we formalize the basics of the formula as soon as possible so I can start on my cummins diesel. I’d really like to be ready for this race and unlike most of you , it takes me a couple of months to complete a car. As we have an idea of some of the other parameters, what motor should we use?

Cheers

Steve

Art

Hi Racer68,

For this one we’ll take another few weeks to sort things out and then give a minimum 3 months notice of the requirements prior to the race. I am looking at adding this to the schedule sometime in December – so lots of time to build. The biggest points of discussion right now are what, if any, limits do we need on overall width and maximum tire diameter – front motor inline configuration (minimum of 40 mm), plastic body, BWNC1 or BWMS050 and DArt tires are looking good. And it looks like we might open up liveries to include period correct fantasy liveries too (in addition to real ones)…

Those of you who have emailed me thank you for your input too. :good:

I don’t usually do line-dancing. But fantasy liveries are worth doing a little “jig”. :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Inspiration. Some of these cars look amazing!

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.