• This topic has 2 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Avatar photoKen.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

I find using precision axle spacers help to build a chassis that remains square. The math keeps things accurate between all 4-corners.

Many choices and brands of axle spacers are available. I tend to prefer NSR brass axles spacers for their accuracy. I try and keep several spacers in stock of almost every size ranging from 0.25mm to 4mm. I won’t build a chassis without them. You often see them on my build threads.

Motor installation section to follow shortly…

Thank you for your patience.

Ken

Anonymous

Hi Ken, To me, a square chassis means one where the axles are perfectly parallel, and, I am not quite sure how spacers help with this ??

On the topic of spacers, while NSR/Slot-it/Scaleauto etc. do make reasonable spacers, companies like Koford, Cahosa, and, Slick 7, make 3/32 spacers for the higher end commercial type cars, where fit/finish/accuracy/consistency is far more critical…….their precision is considerably better, they are finished both sides, and they are no more expensive (in most cases less expensive) than the plastic car manufacturers products.

My personal favs., are from Slick 7, and they make them in widths from .005 thou. through 100thou.

The .005’s are to me the most useful, as you can use 2 between any rotating and non rotating surface to act as “thrust washers”, without taking up any meaningful lateral space.

Cheers

Chris Walker

Hi Chris,

I apologize for any incorrect terminology. Even though I can machine chassis and parts. I’m still somewhat of a newbie to the technical terminology.

I’ve seen cars some where the axles may be parallel, but the front and rear wheels are not centered to the chassis, or to each other. I don’t consider the end result as square. Axle spacers on all four corners help keep the wheels and tires square while test fitting the body, etc… Once the car is done. I remove them from the outside of the chassis on the rear axle, and move them to the inside of the chassis on either side of the crown.

Thank you very kindly for the Slick-7 spacer suggestion.

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.