• This topic has 0 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 4 years ago by Avatar photoKen.
Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author

Do you have two almost identical cars where one out performs the other? Like me, did you also question why? There are usually many reasons. One could be weight distribution.

Here’s a quick way to accurately measure the weight distribution on almost any car.

Ingredients:

1) Two food scales from Walmart ($19.95 each)(We already had one in the kitchen. I just swiped it and added a new one)

2) A glass poster that can be leveled, or flat/level table.

3) Two small pieces of plywood to set the cars on. One with a cut-out for the guide.

Here’s the glass poster I used as a base for the scales. Interesting Hot Wheels poster. :yahoo:  I don’t think the Corvette will make it to the goldfish bowl.

I had to add popsicle sticks under one plywood plate because the new scale was shorter than the old one.

Don’t forget to re-tare both scales with the wood plates before your test.

Now I can closer examine why Fred Steinbroner’s Ford Tudor handles the way it does. These scales don’t care where the car sits on the wood plates. The edge of the scale still weighs that part of the car accurately. Even if the car sits over one scale a little more than the other. So long as the car is level, the numbers don’t change. No need to perfectly center the car to get an accurate reading of weight distribution.

Thanks for looking.

Ken

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.