• This topic has 8 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Avatar photoKen.
  • Creator
    Topic

I bought this car a while ago and it had some problems. The chassis had a broken pod post. I don’t have an unlimited car for the up coming Targa Florio so I started this project earlier tonight. I found an interesting way to get a sidewinder mated to an aluminum chassis.

The pod is the original from the car. I had to make a small cut to both sides of the motor to get the double-flange bearings to fit. 4-screws and a little epoxy will secure the pod to the chassis.

Ken

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Author
      Replies

Great choice! A traditional livery too – as it raced here in 1970 – with Nino at the wheel!!!

The Happy Canadian Scale Modeler!

Art. Thanks a million for posting those inspiring pictures! Nino looks great! The livery is set at #6. I get the new numbering decals Saturday.

I was scratching my head wondering how I was going to line up the axles from the chassis to the pod. An aluminum chassis is idiot proof for axle alignment if you follow the procedure. Then I remembered the brass chassis jig. Problem solved. I’m not sure the jig was designed for this. But it works fantastic!

The motor wires are very long to wrap around the interior. There is no room under that car for the wires to pass through the center.

The underside shows how I needed to route the wires to the side. The drivers foot is a great bonus support.

The specs of black are tire dust from a recent profiling (oops). The engine/transmission details went back in nicely. Gotta love the look of those back tires!  :yahoo:

The basic build weight came out to 84-grams. I would like to add 11-grams for a final target weight of 95-grams.

Even though there is barely any room between the chassis and interior. There is full body-float. There is no substitute to taking the body and chassis apart 20-times to lightly sand in between. It just takes patience.  :good:

Come on people. Please post your builds. I know I’m not the only person out there building cars. The Coppo D’oro had a field of cars without build threads. I need help to be inspired to make a Bentley Blower. That thing is way outside my comfort zone. I’ve started it a few times, and then finished other cars instead.

Thanks for looking.

Ken

Nice build Ken.  Look forward to seeing the final product with inserts and decals.

Thank you very kindly Dave. Inserts are like a tigers teeth. No bite without them.

Craft paper makes a great grill/dust cover to nicely hide the guide.

Very creative!! :good:

Did you try the chassis in an ‘articulated’ setup before epoxying the back half in?? Just wondering how it would handle. :scratch:

Will be great to see it on the track! B-)

MIA. I was originally going to screw the pod in, and epoxy for reinforcement. But trying to line up the pod with the front axle was a challenge. So I chose to first epoxy the pod onto the chassis while on the jig. That way the alignment is as good as any other chassis. Now I can still drill and tap a few holes to reinforce the epoxy. Doing it in this order helps to prevent the screws from distorting the pod. I sanded the bottom of the pod true on my belt sander with 80-grit before the epoxy. I’m not worried about the bond.

As far as handling is concerned? We’ll find out Monday night. It may not go super fast. But I hope it will look nice going down the track. This whole thing is an experiment just like all the other cars before it. I’m still too new to predict how these cars will run in advance.

This experiment has me looking at a Fly Lola T70 MK3. If the Ferrari runs well. A Lola might be next. It uses the same pod.

Ken

Last photo with decals. 17 of them to be precise. Fussy little things.

Ken

This was a very inexpensive build. Art inspired me to save some money and use some of the original parts that come with the car. The original guide and pod were a nice bonus. The car performs well. I would easily do this build again.

One point to mention. I fly RC planes. When you crash a P51 Mustang at 140kph full throttle into the ground. You usually need a small spade to get the motor out of the ground. It’s only then can one truly appreciate the strength of 5-minute epoxy. You only get that kindly of testing one way, and it always ends in many parts. We call it “re-kitting” a model aircraft.

I’ve built 9-cars using epoxy to glue the motor in. Anyone worried about the bond yet?

Ken

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.