• This topic has 6 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Avatar photoKen.
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

This is the Dart kit Ferrari 158.

This particular model is of the winning car as driven in the 1964 Italian GP by John Surtees; #2.  JS was also the winner of the F1 Championship in 1964.

The chassis is a combination of a bear dog chassis, piano wire and some brass.  Bearings were used in the rear, a square brass tube was used to support the front axel.  Silver foil packaging material from a pharmaceutical product was used to cover the top of the front axel and cut in the shape of the front assembly.  The same foil was used to create the floor in the cockpit.

This model is built as a 1.5L GP and is powered by a BWA slim motor, geared 10 pinion by 23 offset crown.

chassis 1

A single brass screw is used to secure the body to the chassis.  The body fits snugly in place with the rear assembly around the motor preventing any movement in the rear.chassis 2

A black twist tie was used to hold up the bottom of the motor between the two rear exhaust pipes-glued in place to bottom of motor and exhaust pipes.  Two polished aluminium extension pipes were glued to the ends of the exhaust pipes that came with the kit.  The motor that came with the kit was modified to fit together and two piano wires were inserted into drilled holes and glued into both sides of the motor to hold it in place.  The other ends of the piano wire were soldered onto the rear upright assembly.  The motor is attached to the chassis, the body floats freely above it but there is virtually no movement as the body is held firmly by the single screw up front and the piano wire at the rear which connects to the rear upright assembly.

rear 1

After applying the decals, I brushed on a coat of future to seal the decals and give the car a glossy finish.  One drop of windex was added to

my future mix to prevent yellowing down the road.

top 1

My camera and lighting could be better.  This model is much more attractive in the flesh.

Initial test lap results indicate that this car will be a contender.  I think there is room for improvement.

side 1

Thanks for looking.

Molto benne paisan! Who knew a Greek could be so, como se dice, Italiano!! LOL Great work Jim, hope you and family are well, stay healthy, and Stay Thirsty my friends!!

Molto apprezzato Porsche 911!

Ciao

Chassis arms and details look great! :good:

Looks cool with the exhaust coming from the BWA motor. I had no idea the BWA was a V8.

Does the chassis have flex/torsion to the front axle?

Very nice detail job Jim, I will use some of your ideas to use it in mine.

Ken: The chassis has no flex, its very solid, which in my opinion works best for these low powered motors.  I’ve only built two chassis with flex and for me, I can’t tell if they add anything although the literature on this topic says it does.  Maybe my skill is not there yet but on my builds I could not see any benefit.

By all means Luis, use anything you feel is a good idea for your build.

Thank you guys.

Thank you kindly for the insight. I too have good luck with stiff chassis at my level of building. But I’m curious to learn more.

The theory is: A stiff chassis can ride on 3-wheels where the track surface has compound curves. Torsion chassis’s should be able to ride on all 4-wheels maintaining better or more consistant traction.

Do you design your own, or buy someone’s design? Or buy a proven Mr. Slotcar (Ernie Mossetti) pre-cut brass kit to assemble? Any way you look at it, I need to master brass and solder to move forward.

Viewing 6 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.