Completed in early 1955, chassis 0546LM was originally conceived as a 118 LM. In this guise, it was raced as a works entry at the 1955 Mille Miglia by Paolo Marzotto. Unfortunately, a blown tyre ended the charge early. The car was returned to the factory where it was upgraded to full 121 LM specifications ahead of the entry in the 24 Hours of Le Mans. Finished in French racing colours, it was raced by Maurice Trintignant and Harry Schell. Among the fastest cars in the entry, the big six-cylinder engined Ferrari also proved fragile and 0546LM was forced to retire from the race after ten hours with a blown engine.