• This topic has 10 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Avatar photoKen.
Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author

A Fairlane GT stumbled onto my workbench. So off I went…

The package came with 13″ inch wheels. Does anyone have an issue with 1967 5-spoke bullit inserts instead of the stock car inserts? Maybe the driver was friends with Steve McQueen and he gave him some wheels. Aren’t bullit wheels period correct for a 1967 Ford?

The car is still getting a roll bar, driver with steering wheel, fire extinguisher, inserts, and it’s race ready.

Authenticity trumps good looks. The club historian has spoken.

We gave Mr. McQueen his bullit wheels back and thanked him kindly for the offer. Off to the insert shop we go.

Good looking build.  Nice and tidy. :yahoo:

What are the blue spacers for on the front axles?

Probably should have stock looking white steel inserts for authenticity.

Looks good with the smaller wheels. It will be interesting to see whether performance/appearance changes with 15″ wheels??

Anonymous

Nice looking car.  Should be a good runner with the proprietary K chassis…

One thing you should keep in mind if you intend on running it in the R32 races.  There is an 8mm maximum wheel width.  The rear wheels seem a bit wide.

Keep building.

Ciao

Thank you very kindly gentlemen.

The blue axle spacers are just a nice, light, 6mm axle spacer from Professor Motor. They go to the wheel side. The brass spacers are more precise and go to the bearing side of the axles.

The 13″ inch wheels are so small in diameter, that they look wider than they really are. They measure exactly 7.65mm wide. MIA may have stumbled onto an interesting wheel/tire combination with this car. Its got me very curious.

Please let us know how it runs when it’s back at home MIA?

Nice Job Ken!

Thank you very kindly F1nutz.

Here’s the completed Ford, Fairlane GT with driver, roll bar, and fire-extinguisher. The 5-spoke inserts are for the photo only. Stock-car inserts are arriving soon.

Very nice Ken where did the body and decals come from.

Hi Joe,

The decals came with the complete Monogram car. We only changed the chassis. Michael stumbled upon it and snapped it up. He got lucky.

Ken

Changed the gears, took some weight out and loosened  the rear end spacing a bit. It’s better but will need taller tires and more gear work. Still feels a bit slow and draggy. One thing at a time to see what a difference each change makes. looks excellent on the track though

Thanks Ken.

You’re most welcome MIA.

You need a little backlash between the gears. Rotating your rear axle showed some resistance. The green 24T crown is the correct gear.

Your rear tires are 20.8 mm. Mine are 21.25 mm. There’s less than a 1/4 of a millimeter in how these cars sit. Don’t be in a hurry to change the wheels just yet.

I might suggest profiling the outside edge of the rear tires to be a bit more rounded? The car chatters around corners. That’s just a newbie making an observation. Oops. I’m not allowed to call myself a newbie anymore.

You’re very close to the finishing the car.

Cheers,

Ken

Viewing 10 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.