• This topic has 7 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Avatar photoKen.
  • Creator
    Topic

The key to keeping axles true to each other is in the set up. I measure and scribe everything before I start drilling. I always start with a pilot drill. It can be used to lightly poke an accurate spot indicating if you’re on target. Drills are too long and flexible to check for accuracy that way. I don’t need a digital readout this way and use an inexpensive $75 drill press. 

Viewing 6 reply threads
    • Author
      Replies

I have a compound table that costs around $90. It has a scale and measurements but I only trust my scribed lines. The only reason I like the table is that it keeps the part locked in place so I can drill for both axles. There is very little chance to be out of alignment from each other that way. I use a #14 drill bit. It’s about .005″ undersize so the reamer does very little work. I use oil at every stage of drilling. It helps prevent drilling oversized holes.

The reamer barely takes off a hairs worth of material. Just to clarify. I used the pilot drill, then changed the tooling to the #14 drill. Then changed the tooling to the reamer before moving over to the next axle hole. It’s the only way to keep the bearings across from each other true. 

Compound table and and an inexpensive drill press does wonders.

Poetry in motion. Thanks for looking. Ken

Thanks for sharing your technique Ken! :good:

The Happy Canadian Scale Modeler!

Thanks for elaborating on your process Ken. I’ve wanted to make chassis this way for 24th scale cars for years and never gotten around to it.

K&B made an adjustable chassis in the 60’s similar to this with 2 slightly different size aluminum channel pieces.

It’s my pleasure to help where I can. I originally bought 1″-inch square tubing and realised it was a bit big for 1/32.

Bill. There’s a 9″inch length of 1″ inch square tubing for you at Art’s place to experiment with. It looks better suited for 1/24 cars. Have fun and knock yourself out!

Viewing 6 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.