Forums New Releases DArt Auto Union Type D

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      ArtArt
      Super Moderator

It must be Christmas in July!

NEW from DArt! The iconic AutoUnion Type D! Raced in 1938 and 1939 by several pilots, including Tazio Novulari and Hans Stuck, the Type D won several Grands Prix.This new pre-war PGP+ eligible DArt model is adapted from the Revell release and features a highly detailed lightweight white plastic single piece shell with two centre body post mounting ‘stubs’ for #226 styrene tubing and hardware (included), clear plastic windscreen, front grill, mirrors, exhausts, gas cap, shallow interior tray, dashboard, steering wheel, pilot bust and pilot head. Decals will be available in .pdf format for download should you wish to print your own, but no decal sheet is provided.

Cost for this DArt Auto Union Type D body kit will be $60 when released in August.

Pre-order yours for $50 and not only save $10 but also for this limited time those who pre-order are eligible for the following DArt added parts upgrade for just $45:

• Set of 4 DArt pre-war alloy wheels;
      • Set of 4 DArt .555″ ULTRA LARGE Wire Wheel inserts;
      • Set of NEW and exclusive DArt non-marking urethane tires CONCOURS EDITION designed for this model:
        • 2 ‘Dunlop Racing’ front tires;
        • 2 slightly larger ‘Dunlop Racing’ rear tires;
      • BWMS050 ‘low’ power motor with a set of 1.5mm pinions (8, 9 & 10T).

Add $10 to your parts upgrade for the ‘Hillclimb’ Edition featuring wider rear wheels & dual rear tires in place of the regular rear wheels and tires…

Or add $32 and get the extra ‘Hillclimb’ Edition pair of wheels, tires and inserts….

These added parts upgrades are available only for a limited time.

While our new concours edition tire uses the same compound as our club edition the concours edition tire features finished/detailed sidewalls on both inner and outer sides – perfect for all open wheel applications.

Pre-orders by credit card will have a $2.50 processing fee added to the invoice plus applicable postage if required.

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.

Let's Get Building!

MiAMiA

Great looking car!! :heart: Needless to say, I’m glad to see it coming out. :good: This, along with the Type ‘C’ should make D’Art the largest supplier of Auto Union bodies designed specifically for 1/32 scale racing and might make our our little group the largest contingent racing Auto Union’s in this scale.   Currently I think there are 5 (maybe more, duck’s can’t count) in our group so far. What a great Coppa D’Oro this promises to be.  Other groups racing Auto Union’s please feel free to chime in and show your builds.

KenKen

I’ve reserved mine. :yahoo:

What do you mean think outside the box? Where did you even get a box? Where's my box?
      Even though I may be new at this myself. How can I help you build your car?

FelixFelix

OK Art, I’ll follow Ken’s lead; Reserve one for me as well ($50 body kit), as long as it looks as good as the picture above! Please also set aside the $45 parts upgrade kit, and possibly a $32 Hillclimb ‘extra wheels, tires, inserts’ set.

PS: ( From your description, it sounds like you are using the correct-scale kit-size tires and ‘ultra large wheel inserts’; does that mean you are using new kit-size rims at 16.5 mm diameter to fit those tires, rather than the 15.9 mm rims with 14.2 mm inserts of the older pre-war wheels ? )

When I left the academy it was a sad day, having been voted the least likely to succeed at slotracing !

FelixFelix

Hi Art:

I asked about wheel dimensions in my last post.  If you are using new correct-scale kit-size tires, as it sounds like you are, they do not fit the older pre-war rims we have been using (tires fall right off).  Are these rims new for this kit, with new dimensions, to go with the new tires?  What are the actual dimensions (in mm) of the wheels included in this kit, front and rear rim outer diameters, rim widths, insert diameters?  Thanks.

When I left the academy it was a sad day, having been voted the least likely to succeed at slotracing !

ArtArt
        Super Moderator

Hi Felix,

The class rules do not allow a wheel larger than 16.5mm in diameter x 5.5mm in width. The regular alloy wheels remain as is – 16.5 x 5.2mm – and the hillclimb rear wheels will be slightly wider but the same diameter – and they will have their own class to race in [PHC/PHC+] at future Coppa events which will permit a wider rear wheel (or dual wheel setup) to accommodate dual tires. They will take the existing inserts too.

So in your words these will NOT be ‘correct scale kit size’ since the diameter is still smaller than what would fit the original kit tires. BTW I’ve modified the kit tires to fit these wheels too…

Hope that helps… if you still wish to pre-order a kit you know how to reach me…

Let's Get Building!

MiAMiA

Glad to see the inclusion of a possible hill climb class for a future Coppa [PHC/PHC+]. Possibly will require a few unique rules owing to the fact that they were not run in endurance or Grand Prix’s, but perhaps sanctioned road races count. With at least 2 authentic cars (Bugatti Type 59/50B and Auto union Type ‘C’) and possibly the Auto Union Type C/D, and all having available kits it shouldn’t be too long before they start to show up on the track. Along with a wider rear wheel allowance they may also require a wider allowable rear track in order to get the dual rear tires in.

Pictures of the Bugatti and Auto Union Type C were posted earlier. Here a picture of an Auto Union Typ C/D, seemingly a combination of both C and D Types. Having more centralized seating like a D type with deleted side tanks and the air intake above the drivers head is gone. But with a C Type V-16.

Designed for hill climb races, the Typ C/D had a mid-mounted, 6.0-liter V16 engine generating 520 horsepower at 5,000 rpm. Dually-style quad rear wheels helped transfer the power to the ground.

Auto Union built just a single example of the Typ C/D. Not sure why the # change in these pictures as it appears to be the same car. Perhaps it actually ran in several trials. Some further digging needed.

Originally in the Audi museum at Ingolstadt it may now be in Zwickau.

OK I found one so far. As you see it was a ‘mountain’ car.

Auto Union C/D with Hermann-Paul Müller in on a hill climb at the Großglockner

Same # as the second picture above. Perhaps it also ran as #14?

And if you’re interested read through this article to see how the Typ C/D was reportedly saved and how an exact duplicate came to be.

https://drivetribe.com/p/the-detective-story-of-how-three-EeygnwvhR0-WTOfNiBROrw?iid=HOYfaxOLT-irpgRmL-A6eg

FelixFelix

Hi Art: Thank you for your quick reply.

I re-checked my measurements (only three digit accuracy, one decimal precision, and +/- 0.05 mm). I’ll summarize here just for build reference; sorry I couldn’t post it in tabular form for easier comparison.  Our standard Pre-War GP series wheels have a rim outer diameter of 15.9 mm at the tire-seating surface, diameter of 16.5 mm at the outer flange, and a width of 5.20 mm.  The tires have an outer diameter of 23.2 mm and a width of 4.80 mm.  Inserts are 14.2 mm.

I recently received the very detailed Matchbox kit of the type-D. (Modellers who have built both versions have reported that the later Revell copy was poor in quite a few respects, including body fit of all the panels, so there may be a few dimensional differences as well).  The model kit wheels have a rim outer diameter of 16.5 mm at the tire-seating surface, (equal to the inner diameter of the kit tires), and a width of 6.15 mm excluding the ridge projection for the breaks. The Rear tires have an outer diameter of 25.9 mm and a width of 6.74 mm. The Front tires have an outer diameter of 24.8 mm and a width of 5.20 mm. The ‘inserts’ /spoked outer rims have a diameter of 16.6 mm.

From your original description, it sounded to me that you may have developed new rims for this kit for the newly cast tire sizes. It looks like you may have added thickness to the inside diameter of the tires to fit the old smaller rims; a good compromise.  I am still interested in the kit, but with details still unknown and a total cost of over $100 for the options I am considering, if ‘reserving’ also means pre-paying before the parts are available, I’ll have to wait. (I am also interested but hesitant about the Hillclimb option because I have found no evidence of the 12 cylinder type-D being set up as a Hillclimb version.)  Overall, it still looks like it will be an excellent kit for the series.

Thanks again.          My name is still Felix, Felix Unger !     :scratch:

ArtArt
        Super Moderator

Hi Felix,

Yes, MiA posted some interesting links for the combination Type C/D hillclimb model.

Here a list of all of the hillclimb events and their winners from 1937 – 1949… with what looks like more than 50 events each year and a quite diverse list of winning autos… unfortunately details of entrants (let alone photos) are not easy (if even possible) to obtain.

http://www.kolumbus.fi/leif.snellman/hcw6.htm

As with the Carrera we allow significant leeway in interpretation where there is no proof otherwise – so too should this apply to a hill climb sub-class… but this is a whole new topic deserving of its own topic thread… I have some ideas for the parameters of a hill climb sub-class which we can discuss in person over the next few weeks and then discuss in this forum prior to our next Coppa. At that Coppa we would have 4 classes and builders can enter cars in any of the four classes as they wish… like we do now with two classes…

I understand if you are uncomfortable pre-ordering the kit and add-ons. The kit will be available soon for $60. I can’t say the same for the add ons.

BTW, the new wheels and tires will have a feature similar to a centre rib that will allow the tire to be centred when mounted – I’m working on it right now… so those that do get these new wheels I believe will be very happy that they did… but I wasn’t going to mention this until I had a working set tested…

Let's Get Building!

DBDB

Thanks Michael, makes for fascinating reading – don’t have the tools to take the engine apart so they saw it in half – wow!

I found these videos of a TypeC/D Hillclimb and they convinced me to buy the kit.   You may have already seen these utube videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQonZODpzT8 (in german)

MiAMiA

Dave: Despite what the opening text says, this may be a ‘C’ Type mountain car not the C/D type. The driver looks to be too far forward, the grill does not wrap down as much as the ‘C/D’ and it is missing the bulges at the nose and wheels where it appears the middle of the side pods were deleted on the C/D. But who can tell with any degree of certainty, as there were so many iterations of individual cars and it was a long time ago. Regardless, it makes glorious noises.

This article below refers to the same car as in the video  as a C Type, along with a few other interesting tidbits of changes to the ‘C’ type mountain car and some excellent photos of other cars. The last photo is a D type Auto Union. Hans Stuck’s son may be the driver of the mountain car in the video.

The Grossglockner Grand Prix: Historic Hillclimbing In The Austrian Alps

This article below gives a slightly different account of how the C/D car was rescued. I guess that’s how urban legends are created. Part way down the article a photo of a starting grid with Auto Unions also is populated by what appears to be several Bugatti type 59/50B’s similar to Ken’s car.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/classic-cars/a31931698/how-a-bribe-saved-an-auto-union-type-cd-from-soviet-destruction/

My plan at the moment is to turn my second ‘C’ type into a mountain car and possibly with a bit of rework my second ‘D’ Type into a Typ C/D mountain car too, although that may be a bit ambitious at my skill level.

KenKen

You find the coolest stuff MIA!!!

Like the name of a famous rock album from the band U2… “Achtung Baby!” :yahoo:

What do you mean think outside the box? Where did you even get a box? Where's my box?
      Even though I may be new at this myself. How can I help you build your car?

MiAMiA

In this link at around 16:50 you can see the stream-liner cars being raced at Avus which should qualify them to race in our group should anyone get one.

ArtArt
      Super Moderator

Given the recent buzz over a hillclimb sub-class if there is enough interest after the D Type is finished I’ll make the C/D hybrid hillclimb version as featured in the Grossglockner replies above. The Grossglockner is the tallest mountain in Austria and when I was younger I did some hiking on the route used… pretty cool…

Let's Get Building!

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.