• This topic has 64 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by KenKen.
Viewing 49 reply threads
  • Author
      ArtArt
      Super Moderator

COPPA D’ORO VI
      Pre World War II Grand Prix (1900-1939)
      PGP & PGP+

This Scratch32 favourite finally returns and promises to have the biggest field yet… Make sure to bring your eligible scratch built models from the Golden Era of motorsport! This grid is divided into two sub groups:

• PGP; and
      • PGP+.

To be eligible all models must meet the following scratch32 criteria:

PGP1. Eligible Models: Any model that competed in a state or club sanctioned road, rally or endurance race or Grand Prix anywhere in the world before 1939. Later models with low streamlined bodies will comprise the PGP+ sub-class with no minimum clearance;

PGP2. BWMS050 ‘low power’ motor in an inline configuration;

PGP3. Wheels – must not exceed 16.5mm in diameter x 5.5mm in width. Inserts or wheel detail must be period correct and resemble original car;

PGP4. Maximum Overall Tire Diameter – Front and rear tires must not exceed 23mm in diameter. Rear tires must be DArt club urethane tires;

PGP5. Minimum Clearance:

• PGP But for the guide/guide sleeve/tube, wheels/tires & crown gear no part of the chassis, chassis components or body may be less than 5mm above the surface of the track; or
      • PGP+ There is no minimum clearance requirement but for G19 (see the Scratch32 rules & guidelines);

PGP6. Maximum Width/Track – The width of front and rear rolling assemblies may not exceed

• PGP 54mm; or
      • PGP+ 50.8mm;

in width excluding fenders, inserts, nuts or knock offs which may extend beyond – within reason.

On presentation to the grid our ‘Lego’ height gauge will be used to measure minimum clearance (PGP) along with new width templates (PGP & PGP+)… models failing either test will be scored & classed separately – as either PGP* or PGP+* and no penalty will be applied.

Please make sure to register all of your eligible models within this thread and if your model is not yet in our database please submit the online model registration form. If you have already registered your models below but are unable to participate please reply indicating so and I will remove your entries from this thread. If you are entering the same models again then just reply indicating that you plan to attend and your prior posts will remain as is.

Details, links and photographs are strongly encouraged!

Due to covid19 the following conditions will apply for this event:

• No more than eight participants;
      • Masks must be worn at all times while indoors;
      • All participants must remain on the lower (track level) only;
      • There will be no pizza or snacks provided just bottled water/pop so please eat before you arrive;
      • Only H2O or tap water may be used to clean your tires – no saliva.

Good Luck!!!

• This topic was modified 1 month ago by ArtArt. Reason: Rescheduled Date & Covid19 Precautions
      • This topic was modified 1 month ago by ArtArt. Reason: Added new classes PGP* and PGP+* for models failing to meet minimum clearance or width regulations and removed any penalty
      Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.

Let's Get Building!

KenKen

From the Hot Rod Garage:

1936 Auto Union Type-C Wolfgang Weis (PGP+)

36PW005-1KM

This morning I saw a neighbor talking to her cat. It was obvious she thought her cat understood her. I came into my house, told my dog..... we laughed a lot.
      Even though I may be new at this myself. How can I help you build your car?

Porsche911Porsche911

Check this out, sweet little 2.3L straight 8, Supercharged, she moves……. :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1927-bugatti-pur-sang-type-45/

MiAMiA

Ready for Coppa D’Oro… whenever it happens.

Another 1936/37 Auto Union Type C. V-16. Dr. Porsche was serious about getting the wheels out far as possible to the ends. Apparently these were a real handful to drive. Rumour has it that wheel spin could be induced at over 150 MPH!! :wacko:

ArtArt
        Super Moderator

Looks great MiA! I see you’ve used those new DArt tie downs for the engine covers – excellent!!!

Let's Get Building!

MiAMiA

Yes, the hood straps really add some much needed detail to an otherwise fairly plain looking side. They were added with a drop of epoxy. Overall I think the car came out quite well.

KenKen

Nice looking car MIA. It looks like there’s going to be an Auto Union reunion. :good:

This morning I saw a neighbor talking to her cat. It was obvious she thought her cat understood her. I came into my house, told my dog..... we laughed a lot.

ArtArt
        Super Moderator

Auto Union Reunion!!! LOL… :good:   Numbers #3, 4 & 5 – Wow! Can’t wait to see them all go…

Let's Get Building!

MiAMiA

Hopefully to be joined by a Type D and a mountain climbing version as well. Now if we can find a Stromlinienwagen version  in 1/32 that would make a spectacular field!! B-)

ArtArt
        Super Moderator

Stromlinienwagen – I think Vanski has one – he also has the Mercedes streamliner too…

Let's Get Building!

MiAMiA

Carrera made a Stromlinienwagen version in 1/32 (below left) that I am looking for. If Van has one or the earlier Shadowfax version (below right) that he would part with, I would buy either or both. Maybe a wanted section for the classified section of the site.

Porsche911Porsche911

Check link, impressive looking, though I’ve not seen 1 in the flesh…

https://www.shadowfaxslotcars.com/index.html

MiAMiA

Looks like I didn’t get in soon enough?? :unsure:

As soon as I learn to read instead of just looking at the pictures I’m sure my life will be much better!! :wacko:

There are several models I would have ordered. They look to be quite well done.

MiAMiA

In the past I have stayed away from resin because I’ve heard they are fragile but I have tried to order a few of these because they look so good (old Alfas and Auto Unions) but I can’t see any prices on the site and/or can’t seem to be able to order. No matter what I click on it seems to keep going around in circles?? :unsure: Don’t know whether it’s my browser or their site. I will continue to try.

Porsche911Porsche911

Hmmm, ODD, I looked a while back and prices, for body and or Body/running gear/Chassis were there..Now, I see “The Order Page for Slotcars is now closed”…Perhaps e-mail them.

ArtArt
      Super Moderator

Gents,

Unless we are confined to our homes by law or meetings under 10 people are absolutely verboten the Coppa will proceed as planned… we likely won’t have a large group of builders anyway… I would only ask that if anyone does not feel well that they use their better judgment and stay home…

…back to the good stuff… …I too am working on my type C AU #4 to join in on the PGP+ fun – and I’m working on the newer AU type D body kit as well… I may have it ready for Monday…

Also, the MVL date is a go too – and perhaps I’ll schedule a few more MVL dates immediately afterwards – perhaps a Challenge Cup race and a Scratch32 event as well… all Saturday mornings… which should get us through the next 4 or 5 weeks…

So get registering your PGP and PGP+ models!!!

Cheers! :good:

Let's Get Building!

ArtArt
        Super Moderator

The 1:32 slot car curse – seems like you need to get anything while you can… :negative: …unfortunately…

Let's Get Building!

MiAMiA

Really looking forward to the Type D kit. :good:

The Type D had, among other things, a smaller engine (V12), side pods, an air intake above the drivers headrest, different diameter
        tires front and rear, more tail overhang and a more central driver position as compared to the Type C.

ArtArt
      Super Moderator

DArt garagista is working on the following PGP+ model and with some luck hopefully to be presented to the grid for Coppa VI:

#4 – 1936 German Grand Prix – Bernd Rosemeyer – AutoUnion Type C – Winner 

Let's Get Building!

MiAMiA

I was going to do the #4 German Grand Prix car of Bernd Rosemeyer but didn’t have enough #4 decals (5) to complete the car so I used #3. Glad to see that the #4 version is in the works. :rose:

ArtArt
        Super Moderator

Sadly the DArt garagista’s entry #4 is not yet sufficiently dry and therefore must wait to debut at the next Coppa :-(

Let's Get Building!

KenKen

Luis is also supposed to have his Auto Union ready for this race. He sent me an email saying he’s going to be there. Go Luis, Go! :yahoo:

ArtArt
      Super Moderator

A heads up for everyone attending – I may move this event to Molto Veloce and therefore it might have to be earlier in the afternoon – starting at 1pm and finishing by 5pm… I’ll know by this Tuesday… sorry about any inconvenience this may cause…

Let's Get Building!

MiAMiA

Not sure of the status or location of this event, however as my wife has recently returned from Europe we are still in exile from the rest of the world, so I will need to take a pass regardless. Sorry to be missing this event as I was especially looking forward to the Auto Union Reunion. :cry: Next time hopefully.

KenKen

It’s only 14-days MIA. We wish you and your wife well. I have a funny feeling it’s a time to just keep on building.

Luis had time to make a bunch of new cars because of the time off due to the world class toilet paper shortage.

ArtArt
      Super Moderator

Gents,

Unfortunately we must postpone this edition of the Coppa. Alternate venues are unable to host: Molto VeLoce till the pandemic is over and The Dale due to quarantine.

I hope everyone stays well and those of our group who are quarantined develop no symptoms.

My apologies for the late notice but I was hoping to have this event proceed as planned – alas it is not to be. Stay tuned – the Coppa will be rescheduled as our first event as soon as possible… :-(

Let's Get Building!

ArtArt
      Super Moderator

With the covid19 hold our grid continues to grow… looks like the field that we’ll eventually present to the grid will have more diversity than ever! Stay tuned as the Coppa D’oro VI will be our first returning event after the hold…

Now keep building!!!

Let's Get Building!

ArtArt
      Super Moderator

As restrictions are lifted and we hopefully get ready to race again please continue to register models which you intend to present to the grid. There is no restriction on entries (per builder) and we hope to encourage builders to enter more than a single entry. Every entry will race only once now (not take the best result) so build more and race more… every entry entered now will get to race… and as an added bonus (or incentive) the last three placing finishers for this event will receive DArt prizes each valued at $5 or more… so build and race them all no matter how slow or small!

Let's Get Building!

ArtArt
      Super Moderator

The Coppa D’oro VI is now re-scheduled at the Ring for the end of July. Please scroll up to the top of this thread to read the full event details and conditions. Cheers! :good:

Let's Get Building!

I am in, I have an Auto Union Type C, #4, drive by Bernd Rosemeyer and an Alfa Romeo 8C, #12 drive by Tazio Nuvolari, they are both slow motor

I am so happy to be able to race again this two cars were build while the shutdown and have never been on wooden track, Thank You Art for hosting

MiAMiA

:heart:

ArtArt
      Super Moderator

Excellent Luis!

I’ve got your AutoUnion and Alfa 8c as PGP+ models (ie. no minimum clearance and no wider than 50.8mm…)

Can’t wait to see them go later this month! :good:

Let's Get Building!

ArtArt
      Super Moderator

Gents,

Please note:

• The ‘Lego’ gauge will be used to measure minimum clearance for PGP and new ‘Lego’ gauges will be used to measure maximum widths for both PGP and PGP+. Models failing any test will be permitted to participate but they will be scored and classed separately. This will allow us to enforce the rules without excluding any model.

Let's Get Building!

MiAMiA

Thanks Art, great solution!! I think :scratch: my early models (due to builder error!! :wacko: ) ended up with about 4+ mm of clearance but I think are lower than the 5mm. rule and it would be a shame not to run them if possible. As best I recall their motor mount plates hang below everything, even though I think the frame meets the 5mm. rule. If the workroom gets finished, and I see my models once again, maybe I can fix that before the event.With their super slow motors they will share last place regardless.

My Auto Union was already built low so that ground clearance is about the height of the tire sidewall tire as it appears in period photos. I could find no official clearance measurement. Entries will be posted shortly.

Yes Arturo both of my cars are no wider than 50.8 mm, I also wanted to double check July 28th is a Tuesday, is it correct or is it a mistake? either way I am in.

KenKen

You are correct Luis. Tuesday it is.

KenKen

A 1936 Bugatti T50B showed up at the Hot Rod Garage. It’s still under construction, but might be ready in time…

JMSracerJMSracer

After a long absence the JMS garage will be attending and bringing the fleet (all of which can be found registered in the data base) which includes

1) #28 – 1929 Bugatti Type 35b; driver: Louis CHIRON

2) #8 – 1930 Bently Blower (PGP); driver: Sir H. BIRKIN

3) #33 – 1934 Aston Martin Ulster 1.5L (PGP); driver: Maurice FALKNER

4) #14 – 1936 Bugatti T59 (PGP); driver: Jean-Pierre WIMILLE

5) #4 – 1936 Auto Union Type C (PGP+); driver: Bernd ROSEMYER

6) #14 – 1937 Mercedes-Benz W125 (PGP+) driver: Rudolf CARACCIOLA

MiAMiA

In addition to the earlier registered, entered and un-run Auto Union Type C (no data base ID yet)

I will bring previously run Bugatti type 59 (34PW004-MA), Alfa 1750 (31PW084-1MA and Blower Bentley (30PW008-1MA) to be run as time permits. As the basement is still a mess I hope I can find the cars and controller. :wacko:

ArtArt
      Super Moderator

Excellent!

BTW, Lots has been going on in the salt mine below the Ring… there is rumor of a siting of an AutoUnion Type D… 420hp and top speed of 330kph… and with fuel tanks located on the sides… new technology? …Der Zeitling also reports that “Il Diavolo” was seen with his fiancee at Zum Gasthof… :good:

Let's Get Building!

KenKen

Zum Gasthof… voted as one of the 10-best schnitzel houses back in 1980. It’s a shame it’s not here anymore. The reference made me laugh. :yahoo:

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 2 days ago by KenKen.
      • This reply was modified 3 weeks, 2 days ago by KenKen. Reason: Brain fart

JMSracerJMSracer

That’s great news, I’ll be looking forward to the release of the new Auto Union Type D model kit, I almost bought one two years ago.

I can appreciate everyone would like to build the Type C with their pilot being Bernd Rosemeyer.  He was fearless and possessed an exceptional talent for  racing and achieving top speeds, a link to his biography is attached below.  However, there are already a couple of new entries announced that will have the #4 as their model, in addition to the existing car that is already in the database and has raced at prior Coppa D’oro events from the beginning of this series in 2018.  I was under the impression that we were trying to avoid duplication, hence the database to refer to when building our models but also to avoid the obvious problem caused when there is duplication of the same model having the same number being raced at the same race.  If we ignore this now, I assume we are then agreeing to opening the pandoras box for further duplication of every model in our database going forward.

Both MIA and I have posted this link in the past, it provides a full history of the Auto Union models A, B, C, and D.  It also provides a table for each model and each race year that summarizes all drivers that raced each model in each year and the car number that they raced for each model. I would like to suggest everyone thinking of building one of these models, to refer to this table.  You can still build an Auto Union Type C with Pilot as Bernd Rosemeyer who raced the Auto Union Type C with at least 10 different numbers in each year …. 1936 and 1937.

http://www.kolumbus.fi/leif.snellman/c3.htm

Bernd Rosemeyer biography

http://www.grandprixhistory.org/rose_bio.htm

ArtArt
      Super Moderator

In addition to the PGP+ model registered near the top of this thread [#4 – 1936 German Grand Prix – Bernd Rosemeyer – AutoUnion Type C – Winner] the DArt garagistas will have the following returning entries in PGP:

#32 – 1935 Rio Grand Prix – 1935 Ford V8 Special – Irineu Correa – DNF – Fatal Accident on Lap 1 – Build Thread CLICK HERE – Historical Info CLICK HERE.

Let's Get Building!

ArtArt
      Super Moderator

PGP:

#6 – 1933 Alfa Romeo 8c 2300 – Louis Chiron – Build Thread CLICK HERE

Let's Get Building!

ArtArt
      Super Moderator

PGP:

#34 – 1929 Monaco Grand Prix – 1929 Mercedes Benz SSK – Rudolf Caracciola – 3rd Place

Let's Get Building!

Jim O will be there looking forward to it

I have decided to change the number of my Auto Union Type C for #46, it was used by Bernd Rosemeyer at the Tripoli GP in 1936

MiAMiA

A fine looking build no matter what the # is! A full driver, proper steering wheel and authentic looking body welds!! :good:

Going to be a lot of silver cars at the Auto Union re-union! Thank goodness for a white one too!

An interesting story on saving some of the Auto Unions.

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a15139080/auto-reunion/

And some of the Siver Arrows cars on track at Goodwood in 2012.

KenKen

That’s very kind and diplomatic of you Luis! :yes:

JMSracerJMSracer

Thank you Luis, you are very kind.

I was thinking of changing my number, you beat me to it.

JMSracerJMSracer

LIVERY CHANGE

The JMS garage will be changing its livery of its Auto Union Type C as follows

From  #4 – 1936 Auto Union Type C (PGP+); driver: Bernd ROSEMEYER

To       #1 – 1937 Auto Union Type C (PGP+); driver: Bernd ROSEMEYER

On June 13, 1937 Bernd Rosemeyer drove his AU Type C #1 to victory at the Nurburgring to take his third consecutive win at this track.

1a        2a      3a         4a     5a     br 1

KenKen

Thank you very kindly Jim!

It’s all about the fun factor! :good:

The Bob Newhart TV show came to mind today. His neighbours shows up and introduce themselves as Darryl, and his other brother Darryl.

Hi, my name is Bernd (#1), and this is my brother Bernd (#4), and my other brother Bernd (#46). :yahoo:

The Auto-Union re-union will officially take place at the Ring tomorrow evening! :good:

KenKen

A last minute entry.

1936 Bugatti T50B #35 Luigi Andretti. (Mario’s brother).

Sorry no pics. Luigi chased all the photographers away yelling “mind your own business!”.

MiAMiA

And warming up!!

MiAMiA

More Auto Union just for fun:

‘C’ Type warm up

Early Silver Arrows footage:

And the mountain car:

KenKen

Thank you MIA! You really nailed it with the 50B engine warm up! Wow!! The colour of the car in that video and it looks exactly the same as the one I just built! I got really lucky. It also shows me where the red Bugatti emblem resides on the front grill. :good:

JMSracerJMSracer

Lots of fun at this event, as always some close racing and great battles, mechanical breakdowns, etc…

Many thanks for hosting Art.

JMSracerJMSracer

I want to congratulate everybody who built a car to race at this event.  Well done!

I also want to congratulate Ken for his fine work, which also netted two well deserved podiums, including the first place overall with his PGP+ Alfa.

KenKen

You find the coolest stuff MIA!!! Thank you!

Thank you kindly Jim!

MiAMiA

Just to show that Auto Union were not alone in fitting dual rear wheels to their ‘mountain’ cars, scroll part way down this article to see Ken’s Bugatti Type 59/50 with dual rear wheels for hill climb duty on July 30, 1939.

https://www.4legend.com/2018/retromobile-2018-bugatti-type-59-50-b-de-1939-la-derniere-bugatti-de-course/amp/

And in English with a few more pictures and details of the Prescott Hill climb and the factory driver Jean-Pierre Wimille.

Completely original Works Type 59/50B Bugatti makes historic return to Prescott after 80 years

KenKen

Wow!!! :yahoo:

The club historian strikes again! Thanks MIA!

Viewing 49 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.