• This topic has 8 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Avatar photoKen.
Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

With nothing on the workbench. Time to get started on something new specifically for the 1960-1965 SCCA series. I purchased this body kit from Professor Motor and somehow managed to get most of it completed a little at a time between all the other cars I’ve built. The last thing to do was to make a chassis. Not what I would call the right order to do things, but it is what it is. Making the chassis first would avoid scratching the paint. But that would take patience. Whatever that is…

A BWNC1 was supposed to go in this car at first. Then I ran into some clearance problems with the larger motor. A BWMS050 should hopefully do the job. I know what I’m doing over the holidays… Assembly.

I would like to wish the entire group at S32/R32 a very Merry Christmas!

Ken

Just a quick validation that this car raced without fender skirts as a Cooper Ford T61. The sister car, the King Cobra… has fender skirts (spats if you live in England).

Looks good – I like the blue on blue! Cheers!

The Happy Canadian Scale Modeler!

Thank you very kindly Art.

It’s impossible to have too many SCCA cars. Just my humble opinion.

Chassis is finally complete.

This one has a 23-tooth offset crown. The motor shaft lines up 1mm lower than the axle. A test bench of sorts.

It has Slot.It wheels with Art’s 5-spoke inserts. They seem to fit the body style.

The car weighs 68-grams even with the brass weight. Thanks for looking.

Numbers are on. Inserts are painted the same blue as the stripes.

Driver’s name is Cyril (Cy) Cooper. Car #27.

Blue on Blue, NO Heartache on Heartache, :good: :good:  Stripes look RAZOR sharp, and I bet it will cut through the field very quickly!!

Thank you very kindly Porsche911.

It uses the slowest motor we race. It won’t be leaving the stripes behind at the starting line or anything blistering like that. But I hope it handles well.

I was asked to expand on how I made the stripes on this car. My humble pleasure.

I used 3mm Tamiya masking tape for the center gap. Then 6mm Tamiya tape on either side. Then over-lapped multiple layers of normal masking tape around both sides of the entire car leaving nothing exposed to a chance of over-spray. Over-spray goes everywhere.

I used the cap from a $0.19 cent Bic pen to smooth down the edge of the tape to the body to avoid the paint crawling under the tape. That was very important going through the little scoops on the top of the hood. Both sides of the cap are very useful for tight spots.

I wrapped the tape through the front of the radiator intake to keep the lines flowing smoothly into the car. You don’t really notice the clean lines. But you would sure notice the over-spray if not done this way.

The 3mm tape came as a bulk roll. The 6mm tape came in a nice dispenser that keeps dust and dirt from sticking to the sides. Get the dispenser if you can to keep the tape clean.

Please ask questions if I left something out?

Viewing 8 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.