• Creator
    Topic

After some time away from the Molto VeLoce Circuit located in Oakville ON Scratch32 and R32 will be returning to this prestigious exotic car location and their 4 lane custom routed slot car track by DArt. The first event tentatively scheduled for MVL will be the second round of the ‘R32 Classic Era Challenge’ on Saturday March 24, 2018 at 11am. [This was originally scheduled for March 17 but scheduling issues required a change to March 24.] Orange dot tires are mandatory – and the rules remain as before:

1)      Open to any Prototype (P) or Sportscar (S), regardless of displacement, that competed between 1966 and 1971 in any endurance race which was part of the World Sportscar Championship or International Championship sanctioned by the FIA. By endurance race we mean a race lasting many hours (ie. 24, 12, 6) or over a large distance (ie. 1000k). Headlights are not a requirement (if the model raced did not have them) nor must headlights be functional.
    2)      Bodies must be hard plastic/resin with period appropriate (actual or fantasy) livery. No two entries may have the same race number. Race numbers will be reserved or assigned (see below).
    3)      Interiors may be made from any material. There is no minimum level of detail required by either a body or interior but attention to detail will always be appreciated.
    4)      Rear tires must be marked orange dot Darts for this event/series and will be available in the following sizes: D11, SI0201 (or NC0102) and NC0101.
    5)      This event is open to any adult with an eligible model and controller.
    6)      Any model that compromises the track for others in any way will not be permitted or will be removed from the track.

Reserving Your Race Number & Purchasing Marked DArts
    One (1) number may be reserved or will be assigned (absent a request) for each pair of marked DArt tires purchased up to a maximum of 3 per participant regardless of how many pair of marked DArts are purchased by anyone. Numbers will be reserved or confirmed upon receipt of payment (pickup may be on a later date or even at the event). The deadline to purchase your DArts (or reserve your racing number(s)) will be midnight the day prior to the event. Multiple models may qualify but only the top entry for each participant will advance. NO loaners or substitutions after qualifying has begun and all models will be impounded from that point on.

Contact me to order/purchase your marked DArt tires by email: [email protected].

Our assigned racing number list so far:

Race Number Owner/Participant
    1 Felix
    2 Porsche911
    3 Felix
    4 Jimbo
    5 Chubbyvette
    6 Porsche911
    7 JMSracer
    8 Chubbyvette
    9 KensRedZed
    11 MiA
    14 JMSracer
    15 Joe
    16 Felix
    18 MiA
    20 ArT
    21 ArT
    22 ArT
    30 JMSracer
    33 Chubbyvette
    34 MiA
    35 f1nutz
    37 KensRedZed
    38 Sal
    40 Porsche911
    51 KensRedZed
    56 racer68
    68 racer68
    69 racer68
    74 Joe
    90 Jimbo
    91 f1nutz
    92 Joe

Everyone who wishes to participate on Saturday March 24, 2018 must log in and register below regardless of whether or not they already have their assigned racing numbers (limit of 3). Those that do not have a scratch32 account or need to acquire their orange dot tires and/or racing numbers must contact me as soon as possible by email at: [email protected]

[seatt-form event_id=15]

The Happy Canadian Scale Modeler!

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies

Posters and door prizes are ready to go.

The game room upstairs within which we race has several amenities – a kitchen too so bring anything that you plan to drink or eat with you – there are no vending machines with food or drinks though – just pinball machines – so if you don’t bring it you ain’t consuming it unless you go out to get it yourself. It does get warm upstairs so make sure you wear something comfortable.

When you arrive please remember to park to the sides of the parking lot, or, preferably on the street next to MVL or rear lot. When you enter you can let any staff know that you are there for a race upstairs. They’ll just roll their eyes and get back to work… Turn left and walk towards the side of the showroom past the row of cars. Keep going till you pass the washrooms and then you will see a staircase lined with paintings going upstairs – just follow the stairs…

If for some reason you have a problem with a tire or one of your planned entries please email me to see what can be done – the point of this exercise is to come together and have fun that is fair for everyone – often a work-a-round can accommodate a last minute unforeseen issue… so never despair – don’t throw in the towel – just ask…

I’ll see everyone tomorrow!

Hi Joe, glad to hear that – I’m putting together the summer schedule and I’m looking at early May at MVL for the next one – I hope to have the complete calendar sorted out next week… stay tuned…

Any word on the next race in this series? I have built a scratch chassis for my fantasy livery 908 runs good on my track but still in the sorting stages for stiffness and ride height.

Joe

Continue to results here.

The numbers are now frozen but for those who only have two registered you may add another, so we will add #92… Done!

Will check my emails…

Classic Era

Prototype & Sportscar

1/32 Challenge

(1966-1971)

FORMAT (As announced in the registration thread):

Participant – pilot/racer/driver/team

Entry – model/car/slot car

# – number chip

With 6 Participants the Fourth (Blue) Lane will be turned off for the entire event.

Timed Practice (9:15-10:15am):

Participants may practice with any eligible Entry from 9:15am (or as soon as the track is determined to be ready) until 10:15am. At 10:15am the track will be turned off and no Entry may practice after that time.

Qualifying (10:30am or as soon thereafter as possible):

Following practice at 10:15am there will be a team Random # Chip Draw: Participants pick a numbered chip for each Entry (up to 3 maximum) to determine qualifying order of each Entry (for 6 Participants there may be up to 18 Entries);

Qualifying Order: Ascending from #1 THEN  #2 followed by #1 (Participants qualify every Entry) (ie. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 2, 1). #1 and #2 get a second chance to improve their avg. lap time;

Qualifying: Commencing at 10:30am or as soon thereafter all Entries will each qualify over several hot laps and that Entries’ average lap time determines that Entries’ qualifying position. Marshals will be present. The number of hot laps is dependent on the number of Entries and will be determined immediately prior to qualifying;

For Participants with more than one Entry, the Participant may choose any Entry to advance to the race and every chosen Entry will be seeded based on their individual qualifying position.

Provided that a Participant is registered to race if that Participant arrives late and misses their team qualifying chip draw(s) they may still present an Entry to race but that Entry will be seeded last.

Pre-Race:

All Entries that participate in qualifying will remain impounded in the designated pit area thereafter until the race is over.

Throughout the event no tools, substances or liquids are permitted near the Entries, the track or the driver’s stations. At any time Pilots may use fingers to straighten braid and/or rub tires if they wish. Loose body screws may be tightened and/or tape may be applied to prevent body screws from backing out and damaging the track with permission of the race director.

Race (11:15am or as soon thereafter as possible):

Seeding for the first rotation is based on qualifying result:

1st Rotation [3 min x 3 x 1 = 9 min] (Q6, Q4, Q2, Q1, Q3, Q5);

2nd Rotation [3 min x 3 x 1 = 9 min] (P6, P4, P2, P1, P3, P5);

3rd Rotation [3 min x 3 x 1 = 9 min] (P5, P6, P4, P2, P1, P3);

B Main [5 min x 3 x 1 = 15 min] (P6, P5, P4) (determines 6th, 5th, 4th Place);

A Main [5 min x 3 x 1 = 15 min] (P3, P2, P1) (determines 3rd, 2nd, 1st Place).

THE RACE

Eligible Entries:

Race Number Owner/Participant
        1 Felix
        2 Porsche911
        3 Felix
        4 Jimbo
        5 Chubbyvette
        6 Porsche911
        7 JMSracer
        8 Chubbyvette
        9 KensRedZed
        11 MiA
        14 JMSracer
        15 Joe
        16 Felix
        18 MiA
        20 ArT
        21 ArT
        22 ArT
        30 JMSracer
        33 Chubbyvette
        34 MiA
        35 f1nutz
        37 KensRedZed
        38 Sal
        40 Porsche911
        51 KensRedZed
        56 racer68
        68 racer68
        69 racer68
        74 Joe
        90 Jimbo
        91 f1nutz
        92 Joe

Qualifying Order (Random # Chip Draw)

Qualifying Result (Indy Style – 10 Lap Average) [2 Warmup + 10 Timed Laps]

1. #22 (6.567 sec.)
        2. #30 (6.694) [withdrawn]
        3. #91 (6.840)
        4. #7 (7.212)
        5. #15 (7.455)
        6. #18 (7.456)
        7. #9 (7.462)
        8. #11 (7.639) [withdrawn]
        9. #34 (8.149) [withdrawn]

1st Rotation Result [180 Seconds x 3 x 1 = 9 Minutes]

1. #22 – 83 Laps (7.677 ext.)
        2. #7 – 83 (8.570)
        3. #91 – 78 (8.739)
        4. #15 – 75 (10.642)
        5. #9 – 72 (18.420)
        6. #18 – 71 (9.832)

2nd Rotation Result [180 Seconds x 3 x 1 = 9 Minutes]

1. #22 – 83 Laps (7.475 ext.)
        2. #7 – 83 (10.280)
        3. #91 – 80 (9.908)
        4. #15 – 77 (15.769)
        5. #9 – 72 (8.967)
        6. #18 – 72 (9.598)

3rd Rotation Result [180 Seconds x 3 x 1 = 9 Minutes]

1. #7 – 83 Laps (8.691 ext.)
        2. #22 – 83 (10.153)
        3. #91 – 83 (16.829)
        4. #15 – 76 (7.708)
        5. #18 – 73 (11.530)
        6. #9 – 71 (10.190)

‘B’ Main Result [300 Seconds x 3 x 1 = 15 Minutes]

1. #15 – 128 Laps (11.614 ext.)
        2. #9 – 121 (10.574)
        3. #18 – 118 (15.181)

‘A’ Main Result [300 Seconds x 3 x 1 = 15 Minutes]

1. #22 – 139 Laps (14.451 ext.)
        2. #7 – 135 (9.222)
        3. #91 – 135 (13.106)

I would like to say a sincere thank you to all five of my driving instructors! I owe Michael a huge apology for totally wiping him off the track in one… or two of the curves. The entire room went “Whoa!” at one point. Oops. Be aware of the other cars. Got it. I owe Michael a coffee.

I have to admit that I have not raced like this since I was young (40+years ago). Even then, it was never as cool as this!

My Scalex track is barely 8-weeks old, and barely 30-minutes of total use. I’m just getting started and have more time on MVL track than on my own.

Thank you very kindly for the invitation. I hope to be back if I can eventually find a Hudy tire truer that isn’t a million USD.

Ken

Hi Art, Is it the blue with Orange “Arrows”? What’s in it, and what’s the ask?

Would love to add a fine ‘D’Art creation to my collection. I sent you an e-mail, please answer there.

Thanks!

If anyone might be interested I’m selling my #22 (really #12 under the stickers) 908/3 entry that I raced on Saturday – either complete & as is (not even opened or cleaned after the race) or bare chassis with motor & guide – your choice – exclusive to those who raced on Saturday and/or participate in scratch32 or R32 events. Please note that in the scratch32 group there is a minimum threshold of ‘building’ – you may only present models with a body OR chassis that YOU built – but for events like this one anything goes – so clean it and race it if you wish…

I’ll post the results in the R32 Race Results sub-forum later today or tonight as soon as I have a chance to. Thanks again to everyone who came out! Jim and Joe forgot their door prizes – I’ll set them aside till I see each of you next…

Art

Could I drop #74 and add #92 for the next race.

Thanks

Joe

Thanks for another excellent event everyone. A fascinating place for cars big and small!!

Those of you who don’t regularly check our website should take advantage of the ‘subscribe’ option in the first message header to find out what is new…

Classic Era

Prototype & Sportscar

1/32 Challenge

(1966-1971)

Participant – pilot/racer/driver/team

Entry – model/car/slot car

# – number chip

With 6 Participants the Fourth (Blue) Lane will be turned off for the entire event. The format will be as follows:

Timed Practice (9:15-10:15am):

Participants may practice with any eligible Entry from 9:15am (or as soon as the track is determined to be ready) until 10:15am. At 10:15am the track will be turned off and no Entry may practice after that time.

Qualifying (10:30am or as soon thereafter as possible):

Following practice at 10:15am there will be a team Random # Chip Draw: Participants pick a numbered chip for each Entry (up to 3 maximum) to determine qualifying order of each Entry (for 6 Participants there may be up to 18 Entries);

Qualifying Order: Ascending from #1 THEN  #2 followed by #1 (Participants qualify every Entry) (ie. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 2, 1). #1 and #2 get a second chance to improve their avg. lap time;

Qualifying: Commencing at 10:30am or as soon thereafter all Entries will each qualify over several hot laps and that Entries’ average lap time determines that Entries’ qualifying position. Marshals will be present. The number of hot laps is dependent on the number of Entries and will be determined immediately prior to qualifying;

For Participants with more than one Entry, the Participant may choose any Entry to advance to the race and every chosen Entry will be seeded based on their individual qualifying position.

Provided that a Participant is registered to race if that Participant arrives late and misses their team qualifying chip draw(s) they may still present an Entry to race but that Entry will be seeded last.

Pre-Race:

All Entries that participate in qualifying will remain impounded in the designated pit area thereafter until the race is over.

Throughout the event no tools, substances or liquids are permitted near the Entries, the track or the driver’s stations. At any time Pilots may use fingers to straighten braid and/or rub tires clean if they wish. Loose body screws may be tightened and/or tape may be applied to prevent body screws from backing out and damaging the track with permission of the race director.

Race (11:15am or as soon thereafter as possible):

Seeding for the first rotation is based on qualifying result:

1st Rotation [3 min x 3 x 1 = 9 min] (Q6, Q4, Q2, Q1, Q3, Q5);

2nd Rotation [3 min x 3 x 1 = 9 min] (P6, P4, P2, P1, P3, P5);

3rd Rotation [3 min x 3 x 1 = 9 min] (P5, P6, P4, P2, P1, P3);

B Main [5 min x 3 x 1 = 15 min] (P6, P5, P4) (determines 6th, 5th, 4th Place);

A Main [5 min x 3 x 1 = 15 min] (P3, P2, P1) (determines 3rd, 2nd, 1st Place).

Several joined us to clean and condition the track today – a hearty thank you to everyone!

As I and Austin were leaving the ‘Cash Man’ joined us upstairs – he is hilarious!

Unfortunately, Ecurie Lyons must retract the team entry.

Enjoy racing at MVL, great to see it in the rotation once again! :yahoo:

I’ve been persuaded that we make the transition to orange dot tires for this second running of the Classic Era Challenge a little more forgiving than ‘mandatory’ to encourage more qualifying models…. therefore:

Every participant/team (each of you who registered above) that purchased orange dot tires for this event AND presents at least one model/entry with orange dot tires for the qualifying round MAY enter additional models/entries (up to two) using the standard DArt club tire… and ANY of those qualifiers are therefore eligible to race…

Cheers!

Joe and f1nutz now have their race numbers added to our master list.

You must change your mindset for racing in this series.

You are racing as both a TEAM and as a DRIVER (or PILOT). That doesn’t mean that you can race multiple entries, but you may attempt to qualify multiple entries (up to three – hence the limit of up to three race numbers). To determine the qualifying order the fastest average lap time over a pre-determined number of laps will be used (not simply your fastest lap).

For instance, every entry/model may get 13 laps (3 warm up and 10 timed laps) and the average of the 10 timed laps determines qualifying position. [The exact number or warm up and timed laps will be set on race day.]

After qualifying you can choose which of your qualified models you wish to submit to race, but that model will be assigned its first rotation position (or seeded) based on where it qualified relative to the models chosen by other teams. Seeding from qualifying determines the first rotation order – there will be several rotations, each adjusted based on their results to determine which models get to race in the ‘A’ main and which race in the ‘B’ main.  [We will be using the bracketing feature of slottrak to do this automatically since it worked well in the first race of this series – that is why I need to lock down how many participants there will be prior to the event so I can tailor the bracketing structure beforehand to best utilize our available time.]

For example, there may be 8 participants/teams/pilots. Each participant has three models each with a different race number and they decide to qualify all three models. So 24 models will attempt to qualify but only 8 will race – one from every participant or ‘team’.

Make sure that the models you intend to qualify (for any race in this series) are each using one of your designated race numbers. As long as the model is of a type that qualifies for this series (check the rules at the top of this thread) then the make or other details for your model are irrelevant and are not permanently fixed to any of your race numbers. What this means is that prior to every race day in this series you can distribute/re-arrange your numbers amongst your models as you wish. So if you have just ONE race number, then if you bring three eligible models all must bear that same number and you can only qualify ONE model. If you have TWO race numbers, then if you bring three eligible models, one bearing the first number and two others bearing the second number then you can attempt to qualify TWO models – ONE bearing the first number and ONE bearing the second number (so you must choose which of the two bearing the second number to qualify – which you would likely do in practice. If you have THREE race numbers then you can qualify up to THREE models as long as they each bear a different number.

Why would anyone only have one or two race numbers? Because they only purchased one or two sets of the mandatory orange dot tires, therefore they could only have one or two eligible entries.

All that matters on race day is that any eligible model you intend to qualify has one of your race numbers on it. For timing & scoring the number is the primary tracking method during each race. Your initials are also paired together with each of your race numbers as a secondary tracking method – this for the benefit of those in attendance…

Whichever model starts the race must finish the race. Substitutions are not allowed. Although this is not an endurance event our first edition saw every pilot/model race for a total of 45 minutes – so reliability is important. If a team does suffer a mechanical breakdown then another qualified model may be used to complete the race but that team will be scored with a DNF and while lapping must not impede others.

How do I change the number on my model?

Any method is allowed but ALL numbers on the model must be changed to the new number and must remain in place for the duration of the event. Most cars had at least three numbers, usually four.

Remember in those days that the cars would arrive at the venue without numbers. Some had roundels painted – but they were blank. Numbers were assigned based on registration order and then painted or taped. That is why you would often see consecutive numbers for every ‘team’.

You can use a sticker to cover the old number, add a piece of coloured tape to alter the number, use a marker – anything. I don’t care as long as the number is easy to read and remains in place for the whole race.

On my slot.it GT40 body I removed the tampo printed number using a Q-tip with Tamiya course compound. You can also scrape away the tampo number on many models… On another model I used a VERY quick application of Acetone on a Q-tip to remove the number and roundel (I don’t recommend doing this if you have not done this before or don’t know how the paint will respond – it will eat through the paint – but it is a fast way to remove the tampo.). All were replaced with decals. How you do this is up to you.

#91 Gt-40 Mk IV for me thanks

#35 Fly Porsche for backup just in case

Due to time constraints and to make sure we will wrap up by 3pm we are capping race entries at 8 (1 per participant – so 8 participants maximum). As before every participant may choose to qualify up to three models but must choose just one to race – usually the fastest qualifier but that is up to each participant to decide… :good:

For those that need the address for MVL in Oakville here is their website:  MVL Leasing.

To clarify, I will be there this Thursday between 10am and 1pm only – not later than 1pm… Although the showroom is open to the public during regular business hours visitors who wish to go upstairs to visit the track (or anywhere else) must be accompanied – so please contact me before you come out on Thursday.For anyone who might be interested you can track the races/classes (and results) since R32 began racing at Molto VeLoce by visiting the opening night at MVL on the darthobbies events page. The picture taken above is from opening race night…

Below is an overview of the track during assembly:

For those of you wondering how to best set up your model for this race – I would recommend a 25k motor in a heavier chassis/setup. If your model is already fast on a track that I’ve built then you should be just fine. Make sure it handles well on nearly flat very high speed corners… no banking, no gimmicks and no squeezes on this track.

I’ll be there to clean the track on Thursday between 10am and 1pm for those who might wish to drop by to pick up their tires or to practice. Please email me if you wish to come by on Thursday at [email protected] .

Since many of you will want to practice as soon as you get there on Saturday but still wish to have a brief tour of the facility we can do a tour after the race is over – between 3pm until close… we’ll try to leave the parking out front for their customers – the street to the side is just fine, as is the back lot. I’ll have more details as the date approaches. If you don’t wish to race but would still like to come by to visit and check things out email me at [email protected]   :good:

After a number of enquiries please note that for this event there will be NO single lap penalty for every de-slot regardless of fault as there is in Scratch32 events. Doors will open at 9:15am Saturday, qualifying will start at 10:30am and we will be finished by 3pm. We have six participants so far…

As mentioned to race director Mr. Stroebel, I may have to retract based on son’s hockey playoff schedule.

Viewing 19 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.