Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author
      ArtArt

CANAM Thunder IV

This is our fourth ‘bring what you have’ early 1960’s SCCA/USRRC models (vintage or modern releases) PLUS your CANAM Scratch32 eligible models for a ‘show and tell’, discussion and racing. This event will have overlap with Scratch32 CANAM (CA) classes AND will incorporate earlier SCCA/USRRC sanctioned race entries. Again, this is a response in part to the demand to do so. It is also an effort to incorporate appropriate models going forward in a pre-CANAM class. It will also incorporate a new Trans Am class (see below).

As in the last Thunder event, eligible participants will include the following models:

• CANAM (1966-1974) – Those who ran at two sanctioned CAN AM races at different tracks in any year between 1966 through 1974 (coupes excluded) – see Scratch32 CANAM Rules – includes any motor (which includes any custom motor if you wish);
      • PRE-CANAM – SCCA/USRRC (1960-1965) – Those that competed in any sanctioned SCCA/USRRC event between 1960 through 1965 – this is a very wide net which will be shortened after we discuss, but for now bring anything that you have proof raced in one of these sanctioned events – motor doesn’t matter since we’ll divide this group into two sub-classes:
        • (PC) – the usual ‘low power’ motor (see our list of low power motors in the Scratch32 Rules);
        • (PC+) – unlimited motor (if it doesn’t qualify for PC then it falls into PC+ and this can range from any vintage motor to anything custom made, sealed or not sealed.
      • PLUS we will debut a new class – Trans Am covering the period 1966 – 1973 with no motor/configuration restriction and period fantasy liveries permitted. What more is there to add?

Regardless of group or class every model that takes to the track MUST have DArt club urethane tires. Hard bodies are also a requirement. That is it. If in doubt ask. Any tire that adversely affects the performance of other participants will be checked and/or result in exclusion.

No ‘master list’ of eligible models or entries will be provided for the SCCA/USRRC or Trans Am models since it is easy enough to find much of this information freely on the internet. Do some research first and then ask if you have questions. It is expected that you share with the group some of the history of the models. Please feel free to show us some of your eligible models within this thread. Registration is not a requirement for this event but strongly encouraged. Bring all of your eligible models. For the SCCA/USRRC group vintage or new models may be raced even if they do not qualify as ‘scratch’ (ie. ready to run).

For this event we will return to penalizing every second off per heat with the loss of a lap – in both PC/PC+ & CA classes – so make sure both you and your models are solid runners for this one!

To register your models for this event just reply within this thread…

Good Luck!

Let's Get Building!

ArtArt

For those of you who may not have had time to build a Trans Am model :wacko: but who wish to participate in our new Trans Am spectacular spectacle :good: bring any Trans Am eligible models that you have, even RTR models. Remember, there are no motor or gearing restrictions so inline and hyper motor models are fine :scratch: …. now get back to building!!! :yahoo:

Let's Get Building!

KenKen

Very cool poster. It’s an inspiration to build. The Hot Rod Garage is open and burning the midnight oil.

First entry: Smokey Yunick – 1963, Z06 Corvette Stringray #9 – SCCA/USRRC (SP+)

Second: Anatoly Arutunoff – 1971, ZL1 Corvette Stingray #37 – Trans Am (TA+)

Third: John Surtees – 1967, Lola T70 Mk11 #7 – CanAm

• This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by KenKen.
      KenKen

There is a fourth entry out of the Hot Rod Garage.

Greenlea Snodgrass – 1964, Lotus 30 #4 – SCCA/USRRC (SP)

KenKen

Another entry:

Jerome “Jerry” Crawford – 1964 Lotus 30 #6 – SCCA/USRRC (SP+)

It’s one of the only references I can find to a blue Lotus 30. One of three Lotus 30’s brought into USA in 1965. Serial number 30 L 15. In 1965, Jerry started the year off 12th overall and 5th in class. He finished the year 4th overall and 2nd in class. The car had various different numbers along the way.

The car is estimated at between $190,000 and $228,000 today.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by KenKen.
      JMSracerJMSracer

Nice looking set of Lotus 30’s Ken!

JMSracerJMSracer

The JMS garage is please to present the following two new cars at the upcoming CanAm Thunder.

1) Lotus 30 – #1 – Jim Clark – SCCA/USRRC  SP Class  (Slow motor)

The fire extinguisher will be installed on the passenger side by race day.

2)  Porsche 917/10  – #6 – George Follmer – L&M livery – CanAm Class

The body for this car was an old beat up clam shell Fly version of the #59 car that Art has.  It was stripped down, repainted and refinished with new decals into the L&M car.  The body had to be cut away from the old clam shell chassis.  It was then reassembled with a scratch built brass chassis.

JMSracerJMSracer

Additional JMS Garage cars from existing fleet

A) CanAm as registered in the data base from previous races.

One of these cars may be raced depending on time.

B) SCCA/USRRC – SP (slow motor)

1) #33 – Cheetah as registered in the data base from previous races.

2) Austin Healey Frog-Eyed Sprite – a new scratch built car

C) RTR and or partially scratch built – modified TA unlimited class.

(One of these cars may be run or a car from group D below depending on time limitations).

D) Scratch built cars previously raced and or register in data base – Unlimited TA class

E) SCCA/USRRC – SP +

So many cars… so little time…

• This reply was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by JMSracerJMSracer.
      KenKen

JMS. Nice looking Lotus 30, Porsche 917, and Austin!

You say you’re bringing 2-new cars but it’s actually 3 including the Frog-Eyed Sprite. I’ll never catch up at this rate. I better get building. It’s never too late to start another car (so long as you keep finishing the last one).

JMSracerJMSracer

Thank you for the kind words Ken.

The third car #198 is scratch built but not by my hands, our friend Chris W built that one and I acquired it from him.  I did make some small adjustments, but can’t take any credit for building…

Looking forward to Monday’s race which will take place during what might be the end of a basketball dynasty and the beginning of a new one.  Let’s go Raptors!…

ArtArt

For the headline class, from DArtistas:

[69CA019-1AT]

[73CA059-1AT]

[69CA066-1AT]

[69CA043-1AT]

[69CA011-1AT]

Let's Get Building!

KenKen

Art,

Killer set of CanAm cars! The details are second to none.

ArtArt

Cheers Ken!

In the SCCA/USRRC pre-CANAM class:

[61SP132-1AT] SP+/PC+

[64SP011-1AT] PC

[64SP004-1AT] PC

Let's Get Building!

ArtArt

In the new TA+ class the possible debut of a new NSU is now questionable for Monday’s event… time will tell. :wacko:

Let's Get Building!

ArtArt

Gents,

Given that the Raptoids game starts at 9pm we will make sure to begin promptly at 7pm and finish by 10pm. I will not take pictures after the racing is over – I’ll take all the photographs between 6:30pm – 6:50pm and pizza will be delivered for 6:15pm. For those of us interested this will give us all time to get home and still watch the end of the game. I will have the TVs on upstairs and downstairs for the game but we will not stop or take breaks to watch the game.

So far just three builders are registered so it looks like we will not be pressed for time which will not be a bad thing this evening. :good:

Let's Get Building!

MiAMiA

What a great looking field of cars!! Nothing new here, but will bring:

#98 – Cooper Monaco King Cobra

#65 – Chaparral 2

#16 – G. Follmer Lola T70

MiAMiA

Apologies, but I was just informed that friends from across the pond are having dinner here tonight so I shall not be out??!! :cry:

ArtArt

Jimbo sent me a Telegraph that he’s arriving today and Luis will be out to learn and help marshal – so we’ll start as soon as every builder is here… hopefully by 6pm at the latest – pizza will be here for 5:15… :good:

Let's Get Building!

f1nutzf1nutz

Some nice looking cars. Sorry I couldn’t make it.

Bill

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.