Forums Scratch32 Model Entry Event Register CANAM Thunder CANAM Thunder II (Show & Tell)

Tagged: , , , ,

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Art Art 1 week, 5 days ago.

• Author
    Art
    Art

CAN AM Thunder II

This is our second ‘bring what you have’ early 1960’s SCCA/USRRC models (vintage or modern releases) PLUS your CANAM Scratch32 eligible models for a ‘show and tell’, discussion and racing. This event will have overlap with Scratch32 CANAM (CA) classes AND will incorporate earlier SCCA/USRRC sanctioned race entries. Again, this is a response in part to the demand to do so. It is also an effort to incorporate appropriate models going forward in a pre-CANAM class. This event is an opportunity for everyone to give feedback.

Eligible participants will include the following models:

• CANAM (1966-1974) – Those who ran at two sanctioned CAN AM races at different tracks in any year between 1966 through 1974 (coupes excluded) – see Scratch32 CANAM Rules – includes any motor (which includes any custom motor if you wish);
    • PRE-CANAM – SCCA/USRRC (1960-1965) – Those that competed in any sanctioned SCCA/USRRC event between 1960 through 1965 – this is a very wide net which will be shortened after we discuss, but for now bring anything that you have proof raced in one of these sanctioned events – motor doesn’t matter since we’ll divide this group into two sub-classes:
    • (PCA) – the usual ‘slow’ or low power motor (see our list of slow motors in G7 of the Scratch32 Rules);
    • (PCA+) – unlimited motor (if it doesn’t qualify for PCA then it falls into PCA+ and this can range from any vintage motor to anything custom made, sealed or not sealed.

Regardless of group or class every model that takes to the track MUST have DArt club urethane tires on 14mm diameter REAR wheels – fronts don’t matter. Hard bodies are also a requirement. That is it. If in doubt ask. Any tire that adversely affects the performance of other participants will be checked and/or result in exclusion.

No ‘master list’ of eligible models or entries will be provided for the SCCA/USRRC models since it is easy enough to find much of this information freely on the internet. Do some research first and then ask if you have questions. It is expected that you share with the group some of the history of the models. Please feel free to show us some of your eligible models within this thread. Registration is not a requirement for this event. Bring all of your eligible models. For the SCCA/USRRC group vintage or new models may be raced even if they do not qualify as ‘scratch’ (ie. ready to run).

It is anticipated that this event will continue to repeat at least once in every future Scratch32 racing season (every four months) so unfinished efforts will always have another ‘day’.

Race format will be ad hoc and dependent on models presented but we will start at 7:00pm and wrap up by 10pm. Try to make it earlier to be involved in the discussion beforehand.

Even if you don’t have a model ready to race you shouldn’t miss this… it will be informative for all of us, including yourself.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

...just lay it on the line...

MiA
    MiA

Bringing:

1. Scratch 32 67CA016-1MA. Car #16, 1967 Lola T70 MkII driven by George Follmer. When he could manage it, his cars were mainly #16 or #6.

2. A 1965 #65 Chaparral 2A. As only a few chassis were used and the bodies seemed to change from race to race with some new tweak, this is a monogram car that externally has the addition of the long front vanes but before the addition of the gills and movable spoiler introduced later that year. Set up as a USRRC slow car.

Art
    Art

Everyone will be able to race up to 4 entries in this event so make sure if you have them to bring them all…

For the pre-can am years the DArt garage plans to race a Lotus 30 (#4) [PCA] & a Porsche RS 61 (#132) [PCA+] …both scratch built fantasy liveries… there will be competition for those pre-can am grid places from an Austin Healey & Porsche 356…

Looking at the CANAM proper:

• 1966/7 – a Lola T70 MkII;
    • 1969 – a Ferrari 612 or a McLaren M12;
    • 1970 – a Chaparral 2J;
    • 1974 – a Porsche 917/10, a Porsche 908/2 Flunder;
    • This reply was modified 2 weeks, 2 days ago by Art Art.

Art
    Art

For those of you planning to attend this event Monday evening we will take all of the photos before we race so try your best to arrive before 7pm. Before we race I will also need to record a few basic details of every model that is presented to the grid so please keep that in mind. Everyone is welcome to arrive as early as possible Monday afternoon. Doors will open at 3pm…

f1nutz
    f1nutz

Shadow DN4 George Follmer WIP for me #102 though

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by f1nutz f1nutz.
    Art
    Art

Herr Stroebl confirms to reporters that JMSracer, KensRedZed, Porsche911 & Jimbo’s haulers are all on their way too…

f1nutz
    f1nutz

Couldn’t finish the Shadow in time so I’ll run the Otto Zipper #33 with stock chassis and the #98 King Cobra also with stock chassis.

I’ll bring the Shadow for show and tell though.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks ago by f1nutz f1nutz.
    Porsche911
    Porsche911

Ecurie Lyons will be there!

JMSracer

As per my email today to the race director, I will have to miss the show and tell due to a ball hockey game that I cannot miss.  I have taken some photos of potential entries and will post now for discussion.

The cars I have (some of which are in the process of being built) will include;

The King Cobra, Shelby Cobra, Cooper Ford, Cooper Monoco, Porsche 356, Chaparral 2, Mercedes-Benz 300SL, Ferrari 250-LM, Ferrari 250 GTO, Jaguar D type, Ferrari 612, Ferrari 330 P4, Ferrari 290, Corvette Stingray, Corvette C1, Cheetah, Jaguar C type, Porsche 550 spyder, Porsche 904, Porsche 550 RS Coupe, Lola T70 MK, GT40.

first row

row 2

row 3

Row 4

The following are the CanAm cars, which include three Alfa Romeo T33’s; a Lola T70, and A McLaren M12 still under construction

Front CanAm

Side CanAm

Art
    Art

From my own research it would appear that while the Porsche 904 ‘Carrera GT’ raced in 1964/5 the subsequent model – the 906 ‘Carrera 6’ was not even announced until January 1966… and therefore should have been excluded – my apologies for that. For future CANAM Thunder events the 906 will not be eligible even though an exception was made for this event.

To check out the Event Report follow this link to the Event Report post.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.