• This topic has 9 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Avatar photoKen.
  • Creator
    Topic

I bought this kit at the Torcan model show. The kit dates back to 1967. Nice to find an old gem like this. Worth doing the build.

I hope to have it finished by the weekend and race it at the Dale in just under 2-weeks. SP-slow class.

Ken

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Author
      Replies

It runs. I need to figure out how to get a driver in with a tonneau cover. Add a few more details (tail lights, door handles, inserts) and it’s completely done. Inserts are just set in place for the picture. They get full detailing shortly.

The windshield locating holes were 1/8″ of an inch offset. What a disaster those windows were. I nearly ruined the car.

You almost need to lay your head on the track to see the chassis on this one.

Ken

Very nicely done, and proper right hand drive to boot, the way they bloody well should be! :good:

Thank you very kindly Porsche911.

I forgot to mention the dash and steering wheel is also going to be installed. That will show-case the right hand drive. If I’m not mistaken, I think the driver even has a British accent.  :good:

Ken

Looks very nice Ken! :good:

The Happy Canadian Scale Modeler!

Being a convertible, I can’t get away with just shoulders and head for a driver. That means making some sort of seat. The steering wheel was 1/16″ of an inch from the motor. So I had to mount the seat from the side. Just don’t open the door or the seat goes with it.

Here is the clean body. Number 5 goes on it before it’s first race. Driver is Snydely Whiplash.

It weighs 60-grams.

It’s ready for the test run. Thanks for looking.

Ken

The results of the first tests are in. To descibe it in one word would be “tippy”.

Now to go from 60-grams to 75 and re-test.

Originally looking at the kit, I thought this car would have a wider track. The fenders bow in at the front and quater panels bow in at the back dramatically limiting the track width. Never leave anything on the table because others won’t. I need to choose my builds a little better if I want cornering performance. I would hate for this car to become a shelf-queen.

The alternative would be to build another 2-Tudors. Not that I like the car that much. But what an amazing slot car platform.

Ken

The weight has been increased from 60 to 75-grams. It corners amazing now compared to before! I can’t believe the difference. Like night and day. No more rolling over. It might not win the race. But it will be fun to try. And fun to drive.

Ken

Last photo with numbers. The livery is now Richard Dawkins/Rod Eade – 1969 Targa Florio. In honour of that car.

Ken

Sponsors added. Something I forgot to mention. The car used to be tippy. It used to roll over on it’s side, and slide down the track on it’s side. The car won’t sit on it’s side anymore since I added weight. It immediately rolls back on it’s wheels when you set the car on it’s side. It’s very stable, and a pleasure to drive since I added the weight. It did well in it’s first race with a slow motor in the last Targa.

Ken

Viewing 8 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.