• This topic has 5 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Avatar photoKen.
  • Creator
    Topic

A friend (Another Michael) in Group-25 model club gave me this Monogram static kit and said “Make it go!”. I finally decided to take his advice. It might make an excellent “Classic Stock Car”.

The picture on the front makes the car look tall and skinny. The decals on the side of the car look terrible. Two things I plan to avoid with this build.

This is what comes in the box.

After water sanding the body with 2000-grit paper. It’s ready for paint.

Tamiya orange covers the red fairly well without primer.

I ditched the decals and threw the tall and skinny idea out the window. The rest of the field of Classic Stock Cars were the inspiration for the final body-height of this GTO.

There is much yet to be completed like blacking out the front grills. Painting the tail lights red. The body requires Molotow chrome pen detailing. The driver is on order. He’s out getting a hamburger, fries, and a Coke. One suggestion for a sponser is “Kickapoo Joy Juice”. You would need to have lived through the mid 60’s and already be self-aware to remember this old soft-drink (soda pop). Perfect for a vintage 1965 car.

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Author
      Replies

Looks good Ken!

Any plans for a rollbar & fire extinguisher? I suppose while cruisin’ up and down Miami beach he’s rollin’ on his great looking alloy 5 spoke rims – which I presume he’ll swap out for steel wheels when he arrives at the oval…

Orange will be a welcome colour to the classic NASCAR stock car field too! Well done! Can’t wait to see the body finished!

The Happy Canadian Scale Modeler!

Thank you very kindly Art.

Yes it will get a roll bar, extinguisher, and steel inserts. I might be looking to you for suggestions on the roll bar and steel inserts for Slot.It wheels please?

The 5-spoke inserts exposing the shiny rims are there only for these photos. I like the look of the cars before all the decals go on. It shows off the body lines a little better without distractions.

The bright orange colour is causing me to reconsider the livery/sponsor. “Orange Crush” to… crush the competition? 😉

I looked at all the “Orange Crush” logos and they all seem a bit boring.

I preferred this one after searching what feels like the entire world and hope it prints with good resolution on white decal paper. It should be easy enough to cut along the lines.

D’Art stock car inserts installed in Slot.It wheels. No more “Chip Foose” mags.

Here are a few photos to complete this thread. The main sponsor suits the era. I added a truck-load of brass to meet the minimum weight (27-grams). We now have a full roll bar, driver, and fire extinguisher. I just need to fix the noisy gear mesh…

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.