Forums Scratch Built Models 32 Ford

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      KenKen

Hot Rods without fenders is unexplored territory for me. No one in the group has a 1932 Ford.

The kit has many parts. Only a few will end up being used.

This is just the body and front grill from the kit.

I can’t hide the front part of the chassis. I might as well figure out a way to make it part of the Hod Rod.

Police label anyone attacking Chuck Norris as a code 45-11. A suicide.
      If you spell "Chuck Norris" in scrabble. You win. Forever.

KenKen

The guide area was mostly done by hand with several small files. I didn’t want to see the guide. I also didn’t want to destroy the look of that amazing grill. So I set it back behind the front axle. This will be my first car with the guide behind the axle. Should be an interesting test.

The first hard hit on the front axle will be the end of this chassis. Aluminum this thin breaks easily. Drive it like you can’t afford it. :wacko:

A look at the underside.

Guide fits nicely.

The guide even rotates (a little).

The driver’s name… Stanley Slotrod. :good:

KenKen

I stand corrected (again). Porsche911 has a 32 Deuce Coupe. His hardtop looks amazing in green. It inspired a few of my paint jobs.

This 32 Ford is called a “Roadster” as seen on the box art (ragtop-convertible).

This will be another paint experiment. Metallic gold base with clear-coat red over top. The theory is… it’s supposed to end up as “Candy Apple Red”. I’m diving in head-first. What ever happens… happens. It’s all being done with rattle-cans, so don’t hold your breath. I finally get to use the new can-spinner I made from scrap wood.

“Candy Apple Red” paint on a real Hot Rod is easily worth 10k. This will be the “no-budget” or “I can’t even afford a free lunch” version.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks ago by KenKen.

KenKen

Ready for paint.

I used Testors “Inca Gold” for the base. It had more yellow content than any other gold which make the red pop a bit better. Tamiya clear-coat red by itself over white is almost a pinkish red.

There’s more dust on this paint than any car before it. Hopefully the clear-coat will take a light buffing without damaging the paint. One coat of gold. Two coats of clear-coat red. Candy apple red it is. A little luck doesn’t hurt.

Front grill housing painted with a 2mm Molotow chrome pen. Not sure if I should leave the actual grill section chrome, paint it flat, or gloss black?

A running chassis waits for the body to dry. A driver, steering wheel, windshield, and interior details wouldn’t hurt either.

MiAMiA

Beautiful!! What a great looking car!! B-)
      Darn but those wheels are a long way forward and back!! Really makes it hard to hide the guide!!
      It will be interesting to see how it behaves? :wacko:
      Now if only it had a top it could have it’s own music videos!!! :scratch:

KenKen

Thank you for your kind words MIA. The ZZ-Top Ford Hot Rod is an icon because of the singer/musician/owner. Besides, they never wrote a song about the “Roadster”. Just the coupes. “She’s real fine my… Roadster?” It just doesn’t make for a good song.

This is the latest in slot cars. “Guideless” cars are newest rave these days.

I decided to leave the grill and the housing 100% chrome.

It’s impossible to hide the chassis on this car. You can’t drop the body between the rear wheels without going beyond the legal limits of the track width. So I tried sanding the sides of the body. It can’t be done without taking away too much. It has a severe rake instead. You can’t have everything.

Just in case it rains and you need the optional roof.

Oops. I found the guide after all. It was hiding behind that crazy chrome grill. Who knew?

It hides in a little pocket I made with the Dremel. It even rotates. I just took my time with the smallest bit.

And the other way. Cleaner photo of the space behind the front grill.

Thanks for looking.

MiAMiA

Great job on a difficult body, especially given the restrictions of the aluminum channel chassis!!

I just dropped in the Eliminator photos as it is close to your car and I liked the car and the songs it appeared in!! :wacko:

And speaking of hot rods and songs and 409… (though this one was eventually a blown 344 Olds V-8)!

Little Deuce Coupe :yahoo: It was also a ’32 Ford Coupe.

And for you youngsters out there..

KenKen

Thank you again for your kind words MIA.

Interesting to see all that work put into a car and still retain drum brakes up front. Probably built before disc brakes were readily available for Hot Rods.

The song you’re referring to for youngsters was released in 1963. Yep, I was only a few years old back then. :yahoo:

MiAMiA

Two great ideas for future builds!! Now to find appropriate Fords!! :scratch:

KenKen

I’m looking forward to the Group-25 model and slot car flea market in March. You’ll find more kits there.

The original wheelbase of the kit was 80mm. So I simply matched it. I did not want to have anything look out of place. That put the front axle exactly half way between the grill housing and body panel. Challenging build.

This also answers the question of “can you mix Testors clear-coat lacquer with Tamiya base lacquer?”. Yes you can. They are no different to me other than colour choices. So I found out.

I was a bit nervous to post a pic of the side profile. I don’t like seeing that much chassis. At a certain point I have to remember that this is a Hot Rod. Scratch building a Hot Rod is open to the interpretation and imagination of the builder. 75% of this build was spent on trying to hide the guide from open view. The other 25% was spent on the five dollar “Candy Apple Red” paint. Mission accomplished… I think.

I did the spinners with a Molotow pen. I also did the rumble-seat handle. Not much to chrome on this body.

Just before spraying the clear-coat, I did a test. The chassis has one coat of gold and one coat of clear. If the chassis didn’t pass the red clear-coat test. I would have left it gold and skipped the red.

KenKen

MIA finds the coolest stuff. He sent me a link to this car from “bring-a-trailer”. Very close to my car in many ways. I had to post it. Thanks MIA!

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.