• This topic has 15 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Avatar photoKen.
  • Creator
    Topic

Hot Rods without fenders is unexplored territory for me. No one in the group has a 1932 Ford.

The kit has many parts. Only a few will end up being used.

This is just the body and front grill from the kit.

I can’t hide the front part of the chassis. I might as well figure out a way to make it part of the Hod Rod.

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Author
      Replies

The guide area was mostly done by hand with several small files. I didn’t want to see the guide. I also didn’t want to destroy the look of that amazing grill. So I set it back behind the front axle. This will be my first car with the guide behind the axle. Should be an interesting test.

The first hard hit on the front axle will be the end of this chassis. Aluminum this thin breaks easily. Drive it like you can’t afford it. :wacko:

A look at the underside.

Guide fits nicely.

The guide even rotates (a little).

The driver’s name… Stanley Slotrod. :good:

I stand corrected (again). Porsche911 has a 32 Deuce Coupe. His hardtop looks amazing in green. It inspired a few of my paint jobs.

This 32 Ford is called a “Roadster” as seen on the box art (ragtop-convertible).

This will be another paint experiment. Metallic gold base with clear-coat red over top. The theory is… it’s supposed to end up as “Candy Apple Red”. I’m diving in head-first. What ever happens… happens. It’s all being done with rattle-cans, so don’t hold your breath. I finally get to use the new can-spinner I made from scrap wood.

“Candy Apple Red” paint on a real Hot Rod is easily worth 10k. This will be the “no-budget” or “I can’t even afford a free lunch” version.

Ready for paint.

I used Testors “Inca Gold” for the base. It had more yellow content than any other gold which make the red pop a bit better. Tamiya clear-coat red by itself over white is almost a pinkish red.

There’s more dust on this paint than any car before it. Hopefully the clear-coat will take a light buffing without damaging the paint. One coat of gold. Two coats of clear-coat red. Candy apple red it is. A little luck doesn’t hurt.

Front grill housing painted with a 2mm Molotow chrome pen. Not sure if I should leave the actual grill section chrome, paint it flat, or gloss black?

A running chassis waits for the body to dry. A driver, steering wheel, windshield, and interior details wouldn’t hurt either.

Beautiful!! What a great looking car!! B-)
                Darn but those wheels are a long way forward and back!! Really makes it hard to hide the guide!!
                It will be interesting to see how it behaves? :wacko:
                Now if only it had a top it could have it’s own music videos!!! :scratch:

Thank you for your kind words MIA. The ZZ-Top Ford Hot Rod is an icon because of the singer/musician/owner. Besides, they never wrote a song about the “Roadster”. Just the coupes. “She’s real fine my… Roadster?” It just doesn’t make for a good song.

This is the latest in slot cars. “Guideless” cars are newest rave these days.

I decided to leave the grill and the housing 100% chrome.

It’s impossible to hide the chassis on this car. You can’t drop the body between the rear wheels without going beyond the legal limits of the track width. So I tried sanding the sides of the body. It can’t be done without taking away too much. It has a severe rake instead. You can’t have everything.

Just in case it rains and you need the optional roof.

Oops. I found the guide after all. It was hiding behind that crazy chrome grill. Who knew?

It hides in a little pocket I made with the Dremel. It even rotates. I just took my time with the smallest bit.

And the other way. Cleaner photo of the space behind the front grill.

Thanks for looking.

Great job on a difficult body, especially given the restrictions of the aluminum channel chassis!!

I just dropped in the Eliminator photos as it is close to your car and I liked the car and the songs it appeared in!! :wacko:

And speaking of hot rods and songs and 409… (though this one was eventually a blown 344 Olds V-8)!

Little Deuce Coupe :yahoo: It was also a ’32 Ford Coupe.

And for you youngsters out there..

Thank you again for your kind words MIA.

Interesting to see all that work put into a car and still retain drum brakes up front. Probably built before disc brakes were readily available for Hot Rods.

The song you’re referring to for youngsters was released in 1963. Yep, I was only a few years old back then. :yahoo:

Two great ideas for future builds!! Now to find appropriate Fords!! :scratch:

I’m looking forward to the Group-25 model and slot car flea market in March. You’ll find more kits there.

The original wheelbase of the kit was 80mm. So I simply matched it. I did not want to have anything look out of place. That put the front axle exactly half way between the grill housing and body panel. Challenging build.

This also answers the question of “can you mix Testors clear-coat lacquer with Tamiya base lacquer?”. Yes you can. They are no different to me other than colour choices. So I found out.

I was a bit nervous to post a pic of the side profile. I don’t like seeing that much chassis. At a certain point I have to remember that this is a Hot Rod. Scratch building a Hot Rod is open to the interpretation and imagination of the builder. 75% of this build was spent on trying to hide the guide from open view. The other 25% was spent on the five dollar “Candy Apple Red” paint. Mission accomplished… I think.

I did the spinners with a Molotow pen. I also did the rumble-seat handle. Not much to chrome on this body.

Just before spraying the clear-coat, I did a test. The chassis has one coat of gold and one coat of clear. If the chassis didn’t pass the red clear-coat test. I would have left it gold and skipped the red.

MIA finds the coolest stuff. He sent me a link to this car from “bring-a-trailer”. Very close to my car in many ways. I had to post it. Thanks MIA!

Very nice job, Ken. I like a lot of the details. I had noticed your posting a week or so ago, but was waiting for an update.

I also like the idea of the concealed guide keel, being placed behind the front axle. (I have long been thinking of using that placement on a few 30’s vintage cars, 50’s GP’s such as the Talbot Lago, and Hot Rods, in both scales.) You had mentioned that you were testing the idea. Have you had a chance to compare how that placement performs under race conditions?

I’ve often wondered if there is a ‘golden triangle for slot racing’ (like the golden rectangle in Classical Architecture). That is, is there an optimal ratio of the perpendicular distance from the guide post to the rear axle, divided by the rear spur? (For discussion, let’s call this the ‘keel ratio’.) Placing the guide behind the front axle also changes the ratio. Is there a value of this ratio that would give the best overall performance for the car?

I’ve searched far and wide for an answer, even consulting a few of the life-long scale racing gurus in Europe, but have not found an answer. Like the wheelbase factor, perhaps it depends on the type of track (how curvy?) and size of the track. (Some of their tracks are literally larger than our hockey rinks!)

Most 24’th scale chassis have a separate guide holder that is adjustable (see photo below). I know that the competitive racers use different guide post positions along with different gear ratios, depending on the track they are running at. This indicates that there must be an optimal guide position for any given track. The only related evidence I recall personally is that Carrera Evolution-series F1 cars have the guide post behind the front axle and they handled very well. So I wonder if you’ve had an opportunity to test your idea; how is this car  handling during a race, compared to your other cars with the guide in front of the front axle?

Adjustable guide holder. (One of my 24’th scale chassis. Initial test setup, still need lots of adjustments.)

You’ve done a great job all around Ken. But something has to be done about all the exposed hardware! Most of the chassis and much of the motor are clearly visible from the sides, as in your photos above. No fault of your own, since you are working in the confines of the rule set for Hot Rods. (In 1/24’th scale club series or international meets, a key rule is that ‘No part of the chassis shall be visible when the finished car sits on the tech block and is viewed at eye level.’ ;  a very sensible rule, though we don’t necessarily need to go to that extent here.)  I know that you don’t want to cut into the inner body since you’ve already removed the fenders. Of course the chassis exposure can be reduced, though not fully, by shortening the rear uprights/bearing holders, but that would result in an even higher centre of mass for the whole car. The limiting factor seems to be the overall width, the 50.8 mm rear ‘spur’, so that’s probably where the best solution lies. If we allow for an increased width, it may allow you to drop the body, as well as to add some wide rear tires as on many Hot Rods. (It looks like some of the other Hot Rods on the track may have run into the same problem due to the width restriction?) Certainly many Hot Rods retained the narrow tires of the original 1930’s cars but many, like some in your photos above, were built with widened fenders, and even with large dragster slicks.

‘Bucket-T Hot Rod’

Anyway, just a few ideas.

Felix.

I used to be one of the sharpest tools in the shed; now I’m just a slot-head! 

Thank you for your compliments Felix.

The car raced twice. Came in first, and then third. Still need more testing time to get a clear picture about guide placement.

You pretty much answered your own question when you spoke with the European Guru’s. Cars with long wheelbases vs short ones handle differently. Curvy tracks vs tracks with a lot of long straights handle differently. Tracks with compound twists handle differently again. Narrow track width in some cars add another level of driving difficulty. Every S32/R32 track we race is very different. Cars that win at one track can’t reach the podium on another. It’s good to build a variety of cars for all track conditions. Hence the phrase “Let’s get building!”

You are also spot on when you noticed that I can’t drop the body because of the rules. I originally wanted to lower the body so you couldn’t see the chassis, but the track width rule was my limitation. I am not an advocate to change rules that have been in place before I joined. I would rather make another Hot Rod than change this car. I made this car specifically in memory of my dad who passed away last April. He had a 1931 model A hardtop a few years back. I sat in the rumble seat while he drove to Dairy Queen.

I might add headlights and tailights yet. But car #29 has a driver, and his name is Stanley Slotrod. He can easily be seen through your windshield as he pulls away from you. You’ll get a perfect view of that fancy and powerful BWMS050 motor, and pink crown gear.

Felix. I look forward to seeing your car build/thread finished with functioning front steering. You might have to skip a 1/24 race. :good:  😉

Thanks for looking!

Ken

“Functioning front steering!”; what’s that?  I didn’t say anything at all about front steering; not me, I didn’t do it!  Hmmm!?  You must be using some higher order deductive reasoning.  You’re making my build plan even harder than it already is!

I think I got too ambitious and detailed in the plan, for my first build; also, the fine details seem harder to do in 32’nd scale. That’s one reason I set it aside; I should do a more standard build, perhaps on a closed wheel car as a start.  I’m still having difficulty adjusting from the other scale, totally different world (as you can see from the photo of my chassis, above).

Thanks for your note, Ken. It’s good to hear that the car is performing very well with that guide post position. Very nice build. Sorry to hear about your Dad; it must have been great to sit in that real car with him.

Yes, I agree; stay within the current rule limits on this one. Perhaps it may be worthwhile at some point, to consider a Hot Rod unlimited sub-class in order to allow for these adjustments, as we have with other classes?

Felix.

Felix! You are over-flowing with wisdom!

I’ll take the advice that you’ve just given yourself and build an easier car as my next Hot Rod. The show in March should have many of these Lindberg/Life Like/Pyro kits for sale at very low prices.

One last thing Felix. The Lindberg 1949 Tudor also counts as a Hot Rod if you use the BWMS050 motor. It has nice fenders and lower rocker panels to tuck things under. Many of us started there. You might want to consider the same? With the right livery, that one car can race in the Carrera Panamericana, Sportscar, and Hot Rod classes.

Cheers!

Ken

Very nice job, Ken. I like a lot of the details. I had noticed your posting a week or so ago, but was waiting for an update.

I also like the idea of the concealed guide keel, being placed behind the front axle. (I have long been thinking of using that placement on a few 30’s vintage cars, 50’s GP’s such as the Talbot Lago, and Hot Rods, in both scales.) You had mentioned that you were testing the idea. Have you had a chance to compare how that placement performs under race conditions?

I’ve often wondered if there is a ‘golden triangle for slot racing’ (like the golden rectangle in Classical Architecture). That is, is there an optimal ratio of the perpendicular distance from the guide post to the rear axle, divided by the rear spur? (For discussion, let’s call this the ‘keel ratio’.) Placing the guide behind the front axle also changes the ratio. Is there a value of this ratio that would give the best overall performance for the car?

I’ve searched far and wide for an answer, even consulting a few of the life-long scale racing gurus in Europe, but have not found an answer. Like the wheelbase factor, perhaps it depends on the type of track (how curvy?) and size of the track. (Some of their tracks are literally larger than our hockey rinks!)

Most 24’th scale chassis have a separate guide holder that is adjustable (see photo below). I know that the competitive racers use different guide post positions along with different gear ratios, depending on the track they are running at. This indicates that there must be an optimal guide position for any given track. The only related evidence I recall personally is that Carrera Evolution-series F1 cars have the guide post behind the front axle and they handled very well. So I wonder if you’ve had an opportunity to test your idea; how is this car  handling during a race, compared to your other cars with the guide in front of the front axle?

Adjustable guide holder. (One of my 24’th scale chassis. Initial test setup, still need lots of adjustments.)

You’ve done a great job all around Ken. But something has to be done about all the exposed hardware! Most of the chassis and much of the motor are clearly visible from the sides, as in your photos above. No fault of your own, since you are working in the confines of the rule set for Hot Rods. (In 1/24’th scale club series or international meets, a key rule is that ‘No part of the chassis shall be visible when the finished car sits on the tech block and is viewed at eye level.’ ;  a very sensible rule, though we don’t necessarily need to go to that extent here.)  I know that you don’t want to cut into the inner body since you’ve already removed the fenders. Of course the chassis exposure can be reduced, though not fully, by shortening the rear uprights/bearing holders, but that would result in an even higher centre of mass for the whole car. The limiting factor seems to be the overall width, the 50.8 mm rear ‘spur’, so that’s probably where the best solution lies. If we allow for an increased width, it may allow you to drop the body, as well as to add some wide rear tires as on many Hot Rods. (It looks like some of the other Hot Rods on the track may have run into the same problem due to the width restriction?) Certainly many Hot Rods retained the narrow tires of the original 1930’s cars but many, like some in your photos above, were built with widened fenders, and even with large dragster slicks.

‘Bucket-T Hot Rod’

Anyway, just a few ideas.

Felix.

Viewing 14 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.