• This topic has 8 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Avatar photoMiA.
  • Creator
    Topic

Hello Scratchers (Hmmm, does that sound right) :yahoo:  Pretty cool video, 1968 Trans Am Javelin.

Enjoy!

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies

Sweet video! Love the sound of the cars too. Thanks for posting. Brings back a few memories.

I used to rebuild performance V8 engines 35-years ago. I’ve seen a lot of fast cars. I used take in the car. Have mechanics pull the motor. We would rebuild the engine and give it back to the mechanic. Then I get to test the performance of the car before giving it back to the customer. Fun job at the end of a rebuild.

One of the fastest cars I drove was a 69 Javlin with a 401 cid V8. The boss threw me the keys and said “This car belongs to a friend. When you rebuild it. Give it the best pistons, etc… but keep the old camshaft!”. I thought my boss was crazy. We typically installed new Crane drag-race cams in everything for the street. Turns out this Javlin had an old Trans-Am camshaft. Stump pulling torque in the midrange. Right were you need it on the street. This car smoked the tires in every gear. Crazy Trans Am stuff of legend. You could not buy the AMC camshaft anymore after Trans Am died out. Chevy yes. AMC camshafts no.

Thanks Porsche911! I think this will inspire some of us to finish building our unlimited Trans Am models now – no other restrictions but for club tires, 14mm wheels topped with a hard plastic body – anything else goes. GidddyyyUUUpppp!!!

The Happy Canadian Scale Modeler!

Art,

Open Trans Am has officially started with the above post.  :yahoo: Thank you very kindly!

I have lots to learn about getting an open class car to work right. :mail:  None the less I’m taking the bait. Count me in.  :good:

KensRed… Trans Am Pontiac Tempest?  😉

I was not aware we as a group had elected to add another class of car to our club(s) schedule, and if my posting of the video affirmed that, I wish I hadn’t…It was meant for enjoyment. WHY is ANOTHER class of car to buy/build/race/Spend needed. If all the Smokey Yunick’s in our club wish to do so, go for it, I will not. :negative:

FYI: Classes haven’t changed for R32. Trans Am is still Trans Am in that group. Some of us in the scratch group have been discussing an open Trans Am class for quite some time now.  :good:

The Happy Canadian Scale Modeler!

Porsche911. I wish to apologize for the miss step. I’m just excited to answer the call. If Art and I end up being the only builders of open class TA, it may not have much of a life span.

Let me know if you want help building one of your Mustangs? I might end up building an open class Mustang for myself just to avoid having to paint another car.

Ken

Being an engine builder, or automotive machinist myself for many years. Smokey Yunick happens to be my hero. I have several of his high-horsepower engine books. It’s a compliment to be compared to him in even the smallest way.

Who wouldn’t want an open class Boss Mustang that runs way better than a stock Scalex?

Sounds like S32 open TA is still on. Yay!

Cheers,

Ken

Great video, thanks for the link.

Lots of interesting non-major cars like an NSU 1000, a Renault 8* (I think), some Lancia’s, and a Toyota 2000 pace car!! :yahoo:

Viewing 6 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.