Forums Scratch Built Models 1936 AUTO UNION Type C

This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by MiA MiA 1 hour, 32 minutes ago.

• Author
    JMSracer
    JMSracer

To round out the JMS Pre War fleet, the team is building a 1936 Auto Union Type C to re-create the rivalry between the Mercedes Benz team, with Auto Union proving particularly successful in the 1936 and 1937 seasons. Known as the Silver Arrows, the cars of the two German teams dominated Grand Prix racing until the outbreak of World War II in 1939. Between 1935 and 1937 Auto Unions won 25 races, driven by Ernst von Delius, Tazio Nuvolari, Bernd Rosemeyer, Hans Stuck and Achille Varzi.  see the attached link which gives a detailed history and specifications of all Auto Union Models.

http://www.kolumbus.fi/leif.snellman/c3.htm

This is a vintage Airfix model kit of a 1936 Auto Union Type C.  It came in yellow but will be painted silver to match the actual car in its day.

Au1

The Airfix model kit has a 85mm wheel base and is 10-12 mm shorter than the PINK-Kar slot car with a 95mm wheel base.

Au2

This photo includes the Mercedes Benz W125 with both Auto Union’s next to the sunflowers.

Au3

The JMS car will be #4 driven by Bernd Rosemeyer; the winner of the 1936 German GP

Au5Au6

Au7

rose 1

Bernd Rosemeyer (D)
    14 Oct 1909 – 28 Jan 1938

In sheer natural speed and car control, was he the best ever? The only car Rosemeyer ever raced was the monstrous rear-engined Auto Union, a car that even Nuvolari found hard to master. Yet, in a meteoric career Rosemeyer established himself as the world’s fastest driver and Germany’s most popular GP driver ever. Starting in 1935 he was challenging for the lead in only his second race. In 1936, in his first full season, he clinched the European Championship and forced the mighty Mercedes to retire from racing in the middle of the season. On the infamous Nürburgring track, the ultimate challenge for any driver, Rosemeyer’s abilities came to his own. He held the lead every single time he raced there and he finished 2nd, 4th, 1st, 1st, 1st and 3rd. No one (with the possible exception of Gilles Villeneuve) has been able to fully copy Rosemeyer’s driving style. In total disregard for the laws of physics the thrill seeking driver, whose favourite number was “13”, threw the heavy car around in impossible angles. While he made the occasional mistake, his 10 victories during a time of just two years show his class.

http://www.grandprixhistory.org/rose_bio.htm

• This topic was modified 2 weeks, 5 days ago by JMSracer JMSracer.
    • This topic was modified 2 weeks, 5 days ago by JMSracer JMSracer.
    Ken
    Ken

Nice line-up JMSracer!

I came in last. But had a blast!

MiA
    MiA

Great score!!! :yahoo: One of the great rivalries of late 1930’s racing! Excellent choice for a driver as well!

The under pan looks like it was set up to be for a slot car, with a molded in crown gear and front and rear screws to hold it all together. Do you think you will be able to build it with the full under pan or even find out what chassis it was originally intended to use?

I didn’t realize there was such a size difference between the Pink Kar and Revell cars. The Pink Kar is about 5% large (making it a 1/30 scale) by the #’s and the Revell is about 5% small (making it a 1/30 scale). Regardless, it will make a fabulous addition to your team!! B-)

If you bring your green Pink Kar to the next event I’ll bring my yellow Pink Kar and we can put them both in the pits beside your new silver weapon!!. :heart:

Thanks for the history lesson as well.

JMSracer
    JMSracer

The body was definitely built for a slot car, there is a small square indent on the bottom of the chassis intended to fit the original vintage motor similar to the one Bill had in his Bugatti originally.  It is a clamshell design.  I’m going to cut out the bottom and insert a custom chassis.

I will bring my Pink Kar along with my 1932 Chevrolet pickup for a photo op at the next Coppa D event.  The truck is built with a 5mm clearance and can race but I am not aware of any races this type of vehicle may have entered.

Ken
    Ken

The Bentley Blower is a pick-up truck. The tonneau cover gives it away. I saw your truck JSMracer and it looks cool too! Too bad it wasn’t a registered racer.

Sayal Electronics was selling Lindbeg Chevy pick-up trucks for $10. They had a ton of them. I was going to suggest a slow Chevy pick-up race class. But I can’t build cars fast enough to get into some of the existing races. I should be the last guy to suggest a new class. But I have one of these Chevy pick-up truck kits too.

Thanks for reminding me to get on the Coppa D’oro stuff guys. The Bentley is calling my name from across the workshop.

Please keep posting your pre-war builds! Specially the Bentleys! I need the inspiration.

Ken

MiA
    MiA

So little respect for the “world’s fastest lorry”!!

One might think your last name was Bugatti!!?? :whistle:

Ken
    Ken

No disrespect meant. I own one.   :good:

Porsche911
    Porsche911

You can practice your German watching this short video on Herre Rosemeyer…Some very interesting footage, though bizarre background music periodically (ZZ Topf/ undt Jimi) :scratch:

Enjoy

Art
    Art

What’s the progress like on your AU JMSracer?

...'Bitter'...the Ferrari from Austria

Art
    Art

JMSracer is keeping everyone hanging with this build thread… its already raced too…

• This reply was modified 2 days, 1 hour ago by Art Art. Reason: Added Tags for searchability

Art
    Art

…?

MiA
    MiA

If you like that sort of thing!! :yahoo:

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.